What 9mm +P ammo do you use

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by sgio91, Jul 29, 2012.

1. sgio91

sgio91 New Member

Going to start OC'ing here soon before my ccw class comes up. Therefore I'm going to be in the market for something a little bit more powerful than the plinking ammo I've been using.

So what's the general consensus on carrying ammo? What brands do glocks like/dislike?

It will be for my new G19 btw.

2. In my G19 I carry speer gold dots and have also used hornady critical defense as well..I think the speer gold dots I carry are 127g.

3. brettc

brettc New Member

I carry critical duty 135 grain +p in my 19. Do a quick YouTube search and theirs some great info on this ammo. Great penetration and expansion.

4. Federal Premium 135grain jacketed hollow point is a good price and has great expansion.

5. Federal HST 147 +p

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67WILeK66Y&list=PL727CAFF8A6C0D3BF&index=11&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

6. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

For me it is the Federal HST 147 grain standard pressure. It allows better follow up shots for me due to less snap than a +P load, and gets awesome results as far as penetration, expansion, and wound channel.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRqrJRq4T0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

If I had to use +P I'd go with Mike P's recommendation though.

7. sgio91

sgio91 New Member

Really like the video reviews as well as all of the positive reviews on the ammo sites. Price isn't too steep either, box of 25 for $18-22 and 50 for $26-29.Think I found my carry/home ammo. Thanks guys!

8. chief203

chief203 New Member

Federal +P+ 9BPLE JHP for me in all my 9mm guns.

9. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

I would hope you dont carry plinking ammo in your carry weapon. FMJ is great for the range but you dont want the penetration of it for defense.

10. sgio91

sgio91 New Member

I looked up the federal round you suggested and I like the reviews on it too. Might just have to buy a box of both and see which one I like better.

11. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

You will love them Check out mikes gun shop on line. It's the best prices I've been able to find.

12. 124+P

124+P New Member

124+P Golddots

I really like the accuracy of this round in my Gen 4 G26. The NYPD uses it in their G19's. Mas Ayoob says it has a great street record.

13. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

I agree. This is also a good round. The only reason for me to go with the standard pressure HST 147 is better penetration and less muzzle flip for follow up shots. I used to shoot the gold dots until I found the HST's.
    P.S. tnoutdoors9 runs the HST's for his EDC. Used to be gold dots for him as well. Seems we've just come to similar conclusions, but to each his own.
    IMHO, YMMV

14. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Spee Gold Dot Law Enforcement 147 gr +P

15. Jackfrost

Jackfrost New Member

Speer GoldDot +p 124gr

16. Thesarge

Thesarge "The Sarge"

Another vote for the standard pressure 147gr Federal HST. Bill