Glock Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to start OC'ing here soon before my ccw class comes up. Therefore I'm going to be in the market for something a little bit more powerful than the plinking ammo I've been using.

So what's the general consensus on carrying ammo? What brands do glocks like/dislike?

It will be for my new G19 btw.

·
Registered
233 Posts
sgio91 said:
Going to start OC'ing here soon before my ccw class comes up. Therefore I'm going to be in the market for something a little bit more powerful than the plinking ammo I've been using.

So what's the general consensus on carrying ammo? What brands do glocks like/dislike?

In my G19 I carry speer gold dots and have also used hornady critical defense as well..I think the speer gold dots I carry are 127g.

·
Registered
105 Posts
sgio91 said:

I carry critical duty 135 grain +p in my 19. Do a quick YouTube search and theirs some great info on this ammo. Great penetration and expansion.

·
Dude
246 Posts
Federal Premium 135grain jacketed hollow point is a good price and has great expansion.

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
Federal HST 147 +p

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67WILeK66Y&list=PL727CAFF8A6C0D3BF&index=11&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

·
289 Posts
For me it is the Federal HST 147 grain standard pressure. It allows better follow up shots for me due to less snap than a +P load, and gets awesome results as far as penetration, expansion, and wound channel.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRqrJRq4T0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

If I had to use +P I'd go with Mike P's recommendation though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brettc said:
I carry critical duty 135 grain +p in my 19. Do a quick YouTube search and theirs some great info on this ammo. Great penetration and expansion.
Really like the video reviews as well as all of the positive reviews on the ammo sites. Price isn't too steep either, box of 25 for $18-22 and 50 for $26-29.Think I found my carry/home ammo. Thanks guys!

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
I would hope you dont carry plinking ammo in your carry weapon. FMJ is great for the range but you dont want the penetration of it for defense.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
havik72 said:
For me it is the Federal HST 147 grain standard pressure. It allows better follow up shots for me due to less snap than a +P load, and gets awesome results as far as penetration, expansion, and wound channel.
I looked up the federal round you suggested and I like the reviews on it too. Might just have to buy a box of both and see which one I like better.

·
289 Posts
sgio91 said:
I looked up the federal round you suggested and I like the reviews on it too. Might just have to buy a box of both and see which one I like better.
You will love them Check out mikes gun shop on line. It's the best prices I've been able to find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
124+P Golddots

I really like the accuracy of this round in my Gen 4 G26. The NYPD uses it in their G19's. Mas Ayoob says it has a great street record.

·
289 Posts
124+P said:
I really like the accuracy of this round in my Gen 4 G26. The NYPD uses it in their G19's. Mas Ayoob says it has a great street record.
I agree. This is also a good round. The only reason for me to go with the standard pressure HST 147 is better penetration and less muzzle flip for follow up shots. I used to shoot the gold dots until I found the HST's.
P.S. tnoutdoors9 runs the HST's for his EDC. Used to be gold dots for him as well. Seems we've just come to similar conclusions, but to each his own.
IMHO, YMMV

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Spee Gold Dot Law Enforcement 147 gr +P

·
"The Sarge"
668 Posts
Another vote for the standard pressure 147gr Federal HST. Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts