Glock Firearms banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this might come off as a stupid question but im having trouble finding any real info on this. The other day while I was on duty, I got caught out in the rain for about 30 minutes, My G23 was exposed and 2 magazines in a nylon holster got pretty wet. My question is will this have any effect on the ammunition? Should I change it out? I wiped down the weapon and the outside of the magazines after but I had to finish my shift so I had no time to unload the mags and wipe down every round. I carry Federal HST if that matters at all.

Im especially concerned about the ammo in the firearm at the time because I don't want oil or solvents seeping into the magazine or chamber and mixing with the ammo.

Thanks for any input!

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
No way to tell for sure. I'd unload it all, wipe it down & put it up by itself. Use it later at the range, & see how it works. Make sure all the moisture is out of the mags, barrel, chamber too. It is kind of a waste, but there really is no way to tell for sure, and you'll just be wondering till you swap it out.

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Take the ammo and stick it in a ziplock bag full of rice for a week or two. That will help absorb any moisture in it. But ya, still use it as range ammo, buy new stuff to trust your life with.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It's most likely, 99.8%, fine, but you never want to trust your life to "most likely". There shouldn't be any way for moisture to get in, but, again, shouldn't isn't 100%.

·
Banned
767 Posts
hmmmm never really heard of waterproof ammo myself.. . but there would be one heck of a market especially within the prepper community!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have agree with swapping it out. I don't want to have any question in my mind about my weapon being ready to go. The only problem is ill be doing a lot of foot patrol this summer and I have to buy my own ammo so it's going to get pretty expensive going through a box of HST every time it rains. I can't carry my jacket with me all day and im usually too far from the station to just head back and grab it.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Well, you could carry a big garbage bag for an impromptu rain gear, they fold up flat like a wallet. Not much of a fashion statement with holes for your head & arms, but you gotta keep your gear dry somehow. Bagging your electronics, weapons, & ammo isn't very elegant, but stuff like that really can't tolerate much moisture.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Support Gunner said:
I wonder what the military dose then when they are fighting in the rain and their ammo gets wet?
We just keep on going until we get a chance to wipe everything off. I was on a mission once and it poured. My ammo can that was hooked to my crew served weapon was almost half full of water. I had to just let it soak until that evening when we stopped. I pulled all of the ammo out and dumped the ammo can. Then I wiped off all of the ammo as best I could along with the weapon. Once we finally made it to our next FOB I was able to completely strip the weapon and knock off any rust then lube it back up. I never had any ammo problems. I always checked my ammo when it was issued to make sure the links and rounds weren't rusty or faulty. If they were (which happened a few times) I wouldn't accept that can of ammo and I would make them give me better ammo before I rolled outside the wire. I can't recall any malfunctions from water damage. But I've done so many ranges in so many different weather conditions it's hard to remember them all and what caused any jams or FTFs, FTEs, etc. it's also hard to pinpoint one specific cause with military weapons because they have so many rounds through them. We'd go on a range and shoot 20,000 rounds with minimal cleaning throughout the day so it's hard to say.
Most ammunition now days is pretty good about standing up to water IMO. Like others have said though. It wouldn't hurt to set that batch of ammo aside as range ammo as a test. Then maybe provide a range report so we can see what you find out?

·
289 Posts
SeventiesWreckers said:
Well, you could carry a big garbage bag for an impromptu rain gear, they fold up flat like a wallet. Not much of a fashion statement with holes for your head & arms, but you gotta keep your gear dry somehow. Bagging your electronics, weapons, & ammo isn't very elegant, but stuff like that really can't tolerate much moisture.
Could, but I've gotta say, if an LEO approached me wearing a trash bag for a poncho, I don't know if I'd giggle, or offer to buy him a real one ;-)

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,430 Posts
Got wet plenty of times on duty. Never worried about my gun not going bang. Cleaned and dried everything after shift.
I would be more concerned with gun oil penetrating the round, contaminating the powder causing a dud. I don't over oil so no problem.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwsGCw3T5U[/ame]

Skip the first 30 seconds and the last minute. Not a great video, but the experiment itself is decent.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It doesn't get any wetter than this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6WUSnALoRc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF24E66012BB090BC[/ame]

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
I wouldn't use it on duty. This happened to me a bunch when I was a deputy here in Oklahoma. The ammo is good to go at the moment you're in the rain and someone gets stupid. Afterward though, waste it at the range and get some new ammo for carry.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My basement flooded once and 2 boxes of ammo were completely underwater for 2 days. Then I didn't find them for a week later after cleanup. The boxes were still soggy.

I threw out the boxes and shot the ammo later that year. Maybe 2 months later. 100 rounds and only one FTF. I put that round in both my Glocks, my S&W and my friends carbine. That round is dead dead.

Was it the water or would it have happened anyway, who knows. But I'd say modern day ammo is pretty resilient.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have agree with swapping it out. I don't want to have any question in my mind about my weapon being ready to go. The only problem is ill be doing a lot of foot patrol this summer and I have to buy my own ammo so it's going to get pretty expensive going through a box of HST every time it rains. I can't carry my jacket with me all day and im usually too far from the station to just head back and grab it.
I'd just get an inexpensive, clear or yellow poncho. It should be small enough to fit in a back or cargo pocket. Keep an eye on the weather and if it's bright & sunny with no chance of rain, then you can leave it behind.

We never really had to worry about getting wet because we issued rain gear and the car was rarely far away. Being on a foot patrol, though, is another matter. Unless you have someone mobile that can bring you your gear, you'll have to improvise.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
jonm61 said:
I'd just get an inexpensive, clear or yellow poncho. It should be small enough to fit in a back or cargo pocket. Keep an eye on the weather and if it's bright & sunny with no chance of rain, then you can leave it behind.

We never really had to worry about getting wet because we issued rain gear and the car was rarely far away. Being on a foot patrol, though, is another matter. Unless you have someone mobile that can bring you your gear, you'll have to improvise.
What is this rain you speak of? (Phoenix native) lol

Any chance of rain I bring rain gear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts