Weekend gun show results

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by jonm61, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

This past weekend was the semi-annual (I think...might 3 times a year) massive gun show in Atlanta. I didn't go until 3:30 the first day and it was packed. One of the vendors said they had a customer who said they'd parked a mile away and walked!

I've been to this show a dozen times & I don't think I've ever seen 2/3 as busy as it was this weekend. They had more vendors and many more customers than usual. It was absolutely insane. Normally with 90 minutes left, it's pretty easy to maneuver. Not so this time, so I ended up going back on Sunday as well.

So, Saturday I was looking for someone with a crate of Mosin Nagants for $99 so I could pick up a nice, cheap, rifle. I found a couple, but not the crate o' guns I was looking for and those others were too $$. But, during my search, I happened upon a nice 1916 Spanish Mauser in 7.62 Nato. It was under $300 and hard to resist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My phone was uncooperative, so the pictures aren't the greatest, but there she is! Everything is there, from the smallest screws up to and including the original sights!

As you may have guessed from those last couple of pics, there was a second purchase. It wasn't at the gun show, but was inspired by it. I found someone local and picked up my new (to me) Bushmaster XM15 in 5.56 x 45mm, complete with EOTech 512 and Tritium BUIS! Came with seven 30 round magazines too.

I will probably change out the stock and I'm considering dropping in a Bushmaster Piston Kit, as I wanted a piston AR in this caliber. I was looking at the SIG 556 and the new Ruger SR, but I got this complete package for the average retail of a bone stock SIG 556. A piston kit will require a new quad rail, but I can re-use (I also got a stripped DT lower for $79!) or sell this one. I'm also going to change the stock and sell this one. Time will tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also took a few steps closer to getting started reloading. It's past time. Now I'm just waiting on my supplies to come in, because there was quite a bit I couldn't find at the show...like .45 bullets. None to be found except 230gr HPs...not what I wanted. And no .40s at all!

I finally picked up some Hornady Zombie Max too. I found a guy selling Critical Defense for $19 and Zombie Max for $21, so I grabbed two of each.

2. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

I was there, too! Arrived around noon and the line to get in was insane -- it snaked all the way outside to the end of the building! With 2,000+ tables, this is always the biggest in Georgia. I've been going to almost all the shows in Atlanta for a few years but I've never seen it this packed.

Congratulations on your new purchases! Looks like you're gonna have a lot of fun!

Didn't come home with any major purchases like you. I ordered some .223 ammo from Georgia Arms that I picked up at the show. Also came home with a heavy duty range bag and some cool knicks knacks like iPhone cases made by Magpul.

Like you, we didn't have enough time to really look around so we went back Sunday. Good thing about this show is you get to come back the next day for free.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Looks like you were able to make a good harvest there, Jon!

4. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

5. That Spaniard will surprise you at how accurate it is! Great little shooters.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting Member

Congrats on the new firearms jonm61 !!

Looking forward to the range reports...

7. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

Just bought the new surefire 60 round ar15 mag. Nw kansas gun show saturday. It looks cool in my dpms sweet sixteen.

8. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I've been so busy I haven't been back to the forum until last night and I haven't gotten them to the range yet. I did some research on the Mauser and found that I really need to run 7.62 Nato in it, rather than commercial .308, which DPMS says is what I need to use in my LR308 (they do not recommend using 7.62 Nato in it), so I went searching and found some 7.62 on sale locally. Got it home, opened it up and discovered that it's belted. Not a big deal, but it's going to be a pain pulling it all out.

I have a piston kit on the way for the AR. I was originally going to buy a piston AR to begin with, so I figured I'd take care of it this way. It means getting a new quad rail for it, but I've found a couple that aren't to $$ and I can either sell the one that's on there or reuse it on the AR I'm going to build.

I found a Spanish Mauser bayonet in good shape and a repro sling. I've got to check the headspace and get it to the range!

How much was it, if you don't mind sharing? I was looking at them. I find the 100 round mag tempting, except that it's $119, or was the last time I looked.

I picked up a few pmags for the AR at another gun show, the week after I bought the guns. I also got the rubber Magpuls for the metal mags and a Voodoo Tactical soft case.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  9. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

90 bucks for the surefire mag.