Weak case + ignition = surprise!

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by cvitter, Apr 12, 2012.

1. cvitter

cvitter New Member

I experienced my first ever case blow out today. See lousy phone cam picture below.

Pulled the trigger on my G34 and the round went off as expected except for the flames that shot out to the left and right of slide at about the ejection port and the fact that my magazine shot out of the magwell. The case did not eject and left the gun slightly out of battery.

[​IMG]

After clearing the weapon I was able to field strip and inspect. Fortunately the G34 (almost brand new) and magazine sustained no damage. I was able to finish off shooting the 25 rounds I had left without any further incidents.

BTW, the round is a reload, not factory fresh. I have run at least 3000 rounds reloads from the same source without problem between my two Glocks up until this one freak.

2. RRoss

RRoss If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it! Lifetime Supporting Member

Glad there was no damage done to your G36. That would have been a VERY sad day for a new gun's life to end so suddenly when so young. :D

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

It was a G34, 9mm, not a G36 which is .45ACP.

Still, I agree with the sentiment.

4. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

I'm glad there wasn't any injuries & damage to your firearm. I'd still have a GA check it just I'm case for any micro cracks etc.

I might be brave enough to reload my own ammo one day but am too paranoid to try anybody else's, even though you've ran 3K+ of them with no problems.

5. cvitter

cvitter New Member

LOL, glad it wasn't .45ACP. The flames shooting out of the side over my hands were dramatic enough with only 115g loads. :eek:

6. cvitter

cvitter New Member

No injuries. I could definitely feel the flames across the tops of my hands and I was stunned for sure.

I am going to detail strip the gun and clean it very well this evening just to make sure I didn't miss anything earlier but, as dramatic as it all was to experience, most of the force went out the front of the barrel with the actual bullet. I am pretty comfortable that the gun is in perfect working order as is.

The reloads are a commercial reloads. They are generally very good. Cleaner than most factory loads I can get affordably and at $12 per 50 the price is excellent. I admit the blow out has me considering buying factory loads in bulk again...