Water Balloon Box.

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by TNFrank, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Doing the Ballistic Jell tests yesterday got me to thinking about ways to test bullet expansion and penetration on the cheap. Many folks use old milk jugs filled with water but you don't always have them on hand and you also have to consider the effects the plastic of the jug will have on the bullet and then disposing of the jugs after they've been used.
    I came up with an idea of using a plastic box that's say 10"x10"x36" to hold water balloons so you'd get the same effect as the milk jugs but without the drawbacks.
    You can cut a 3" or 4" hole in front of the box so the plastic won't interfere with the bullet and water balloons are cheap, easy to store(when now filled) and easy to dispose of after they've been shot.
    Later today when we go to the store to do some shopping I'm going to look for a proper plastic container to use and pick up a pack of balloons so I can give my 230gr XTP's a test.
    Anyway, just thought I'd pass on this idea to everyone in case anyone else wanted to give it a try.

2. Went to Lowes and Walmart yesterday looking for something that'd work. Couldn't find anything but I'm going to try a couple other places. Worse comes to worse I'll just build something. Can't wait to get something so I can give this a try. Balloons filled with water should work great for stopping the bullet and testing expansion without the need for all those bulky milk jugs and without the extra plastic skewing the test.