Glock Forum banner

Virgin G22 - First day on the range.

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  aDave 
#1 ·
Finally got my new baby out to the range after picking her up Tuesday. Last time I was on the range was a military range with M16 and .38 (both marksman) in the early 80s. Lost a lot of my consistency, but it will be back. The G22 worked great. Love the feel of it in my hands. Forgot about my cross-dominance ( right handed/ left eyed). This accounts for the groupings at 9:00 in the 7 & 8 rings. I was only concentrating on working cross-dominance. And foot / hand positions. Once I got that working, 10 ring started to get punched.

Next step - work on consistency, so I can start breaking down the other issues.

Details:
100 rounds
Distance 25 yards
Temp 86 / light wind

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Update:

Quick background - My wife and I are in our early 50's and have two daughters. The youngest one is 26 and is back living with us to save money for a house down payment. But she isn't at home all the time - she'd rather spend time with her boyfriend - go figure. :)

As I got the the range I checking in using FourSquare. So after I was at the range, I dropped my my LGS to pick up some ammo and cleaning items, came home and sat outside talking with my wife as I was cleaning my pistols. I not only took my G22 but also my father's High-Standard Sport King .22lr pistol. He passed away back in 2000, and the last time I shoot this pistol was when I was a young teen learning to shoot.

As I was at the range, a female friend of my wife and I posted that see was just looking at the shooting range's website and was looking at getting a gun, so she wanted to take a class. At about 3:45 the youngest daughter comes home and my wife and I are talking about our friend posting about getting a gun. Yougest daughter pipes up and says "You didn't tell me you were going, I'd have gone with you!" So I said the only thing a loving father would say: "Would you like to go now?" and her answer was "Yes" As she was getting ready I leaned to my lovely wife and said, I'll do anything if she wants to spend time. Glad I picked up ammo to replace what I used from before.

Fast forward to getting to the range. We get to the range, and I'm giving my daughter the orientation and safety briefing. She gets some glares from the gun snob in the next lane. She says something like "do I keep my eyes open when I pull the trigger?" Snob moves over a step away from her lane. Baby Girl takes aim and places her first round dead center, then proceeds to place the next round 1" down and to the left. Gun snob looked over and then gives a positive head nod and smile. Makes a father proud.

200 rounds of .40 cal - $50
50 rounds of .22 lr - $2
2 range fees - $34
Time with my daughter - PRICELESS

#5 ·
NoMoss said:
Update:

Quick background - My wife and I are in our early 50's and have two daughters. The youngest one is 26 and is back living with us to save money for a house down payment. But she isn't at home all the time - she'd rather spend time with her boyfriend - go figure. :)

As I got the the range I checking in using FourSquare. So after I was at the range, I dropped my my LGS to pick up some ammo and cleaning items, came home and sat outside talking with my wife as I was cleaning my pistols. I not only took my G22 but also my father's High-Standard Sport King .22lr pistol. He passed away back in 2000, and the last time I shoot this pistol was when I was a young teen learning to shoot.

As I was at the range, a female friend of my wife and I posted that see was just looking at the shooting range's website and was looking at getting a gun, so she wanted to take a class. At about 3:45 the youngest daughter comes home and my wife and I are talking about our friend posting about getting a gun. Yougest daughter pipes up and says "You didn't tell me you were going, I'd have gone with you!" So I said the only thing a loving father would say: "Would you like to go now?" and her answer was "Yes" As she was getting ready I leaned to my lovely wife and said, I'll do anything if she wants to spend time. Glad I picked up ammo to replace what I used from before.

Fast forward to getting to the range. We get to the range, and I'm giving my daughter the orientation and safety briefing. She gets some glares from the gun snob in the next lane. She says something like "do I keep my eyes open when I pull the trigger?" Snob moves over a step away from her lane. Baby Girl takes aim and places her first round dead center, then proceeds to place the next round 1" down and to the left. Gun snob looked over and then gives a positive head nod and smile. Makes a father proud.

200 rounds of .40 cal - $50
50 rounds of .22 lr - $2
2 range fees - $34
Time with my daughter - PRICELESS
Great story! The time is priceless. I hate to think of the time when my daughter thinks I'm too big of a dork to hang out with. Boyfriends I can't even think about. Maybe I should... Better get some more Glocks!

#6 ·
runman said:
Great story! The time is priceless. I hate to think of the time when my daughter thinks I'm too big of a dork to hang out with. Boyfriends I can't even think about. Maybe I should... Better get some more Glocks!
After their early twenties, you don't become quite as much of a dork, but you're still a parent. BTW finally going to meet the boyfriend this week. :)

#8 ·
He appears to treat her well. I've told all of the boyfriend that come by if they ever feel like taking a swing at either of the young ladies, they can call me. They get the first swing for free. The second is mine. :) One guy didn't see the oldest daughter after I said that to him. Probably a good thing.

#9 ·
Nothing like a bit of healthy respect. My wife has always told me that a father sets the example for what a daughter looks for in a man, so I hold myself to high standards and expect her too also. But again, no for a long time...

#13 ·
Cross dominance? I didn't know they had a name for it. I'm right handed but my left eye is the better. I shot expert in my AF days left handed. I just assumed, with me at lease, that it was because I can close my right eye a lot easier than my left. Good to know. I need to try shooting left handed again and see if there is a difference.

#14 · (Edited)
^^^I wouldn't worry about "learning" to shoot left handed with a handgun, simply because you are cross eye dominant. I am in the same situation as you, but I still shoot "right handed" with a pistol. Granted, it is more difficult when I do things with the shotgun, as I have to remember to close the left I because I shoot a long gun from the right side as well.

With a pistol, there is a slight adjustment to get the sights in line with the dominant (left) eye, and to do so is "normal" for folks like you and me. I am not saying you can't try switching hands, but it's not mandatory that you shoot pistol with the same side your dominant eye is on. Best of luck.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.