Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VIDEO: Dramatic California Police Shootout Leaves Officer Critically Wounded
In August, police in Modesto, California conducted a search of a home follow a high-speed pursuit. During that search, an occupant ambushed officers, leaving one critically wounded. Bodycam footage from the incident has been released, showing a very dramatic gun battle between police and felon named Jesse James.

Incredibly, despite dozens of rounds fired, the suspect escaped with only minor injuries. The wounded officer, however, has lost part of his right leg.
It all started with a high speed chase in Modesto. From Crime Voice . . .

Modesto police have announced the arrest of 42-year-old Jesse James Brooks, who is accused of three counts of attempted murder on a peace officer, among other charges.
In the early morning hours of August 15, an officer attempted a traffic stop on a motorcyclist driving recklessly in the area of West Orangeburg Avenue and Enslen Avenue but, instead, was led on a pursuit to a residence on the 3100 block of East Orangeburg Avenue. Officers descended on the house, at which point the suspect came outside and surrendered without further incident.
Officers later obtained a search warrant for the residence and, upon their arrival to conduct the search, an unknown man — later identified as Brooks — reportedly began shooting at them, striking one officer. Officers returned fire and injured Brooks. The wounded officer was hospitalized and, as of August 15, remained in critical but stable condition.

According to police, a felon named Jesse James Brooks shot officer Michael “Mikey” Rokaitis.
Near panic ensued as police fired back after Officer Rokaitis took two rounds. His body armor absorbed one round. The other hit below the vest and severed the right internal iliac artery that feeds the femoral artery, among others. His fellow officers dragged him out and wisely got him to the hospital most ricky-tick.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Screen capture by Boch via YouTube.
Amazingly, with all of the return gunfire from police, the suspect suffered only superficial gunshot wounds. He was able to hold his hands up, stand, and walk out.

Meanwhile, Officer Rokaitis has a long road ahead of him. From Officer.com:
Modesto police Officer Michael “Mikey” Rokaitis must have at least part of his right leg amputated as a result of the gunshot wound he suffered earlier this month.
“(Doctors) did everything they could to save it and waited as long as they could, but it’s time,” Rokaitis’ wife, Megan, posted on Facebook. “We just want him awake and home at this point.”
The Modesto Police Department in a Facebook post Monday said Officer Rokaitis already had undergone six surgeries since being shot Aug. 14 and has more ahead of him.
“We are hoping that they will be able to amputate below the knee, as that will be the easier route to recovery and mobility in the future, but they won’t know until they get in there whether it will happen below or above the knee,” Megan Rokaitis wrote.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery for Officer Rokaitis. We wish him well and hope he is able to someday return to a career of service of the citizens of Modesto.

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
VIDEO: Dramatic California Police Shootout Leaves Officer Critically Wounded
In August, police in Modesto, California conducted a search of a home follow a high-speed pursuit. During that search, an occupant ambushed officers, leaving one critically wounded. Bodycam footage from the incident has been released, showing a very dramatic gun battle between police and felon named Jesse James.

Incredibly, despite dozens of rounds fired, the suspect escaped with only minor injuries. The wounded officer, however, has lost part of his right leg.
It all started with a high speed chase in Modesto. From Crime Voice . . .

Modesto police have announced the arrest of 42-year-old Jesse James Brooks, who is accused of three counts of attempted murder on a peace officer, among other charges.
In the early morning hours of August 15, an officer attempted a traffic stop on a motorcyclist driving recklessly in the area of West Orangeburg Avenue and Enslen Avenue but, instead, was led on a pursuit to a residence on the 3100 block of East Orangeburg Avenue. Officers descended on the house, at which point the suspect came outside and surrendered without further incident.
Officers later obtained a search warrant for the residence and, upon their arrival to conduct the search, an unknown man — later identified as Brooks — reportedly began shooting at them, striking one officer. Officers returned fire and injured Brooks. The wounded officer was hospitalized and, as of August 15, remained in critical but stable condition.

According to police, a felon named Jesse James Brooks shot officer Michael “Mikey” Rokaitis.
Near panic ensued as police fired back after Officer Rokaitis took two rounds. His body armor absorbed one round. The other hit below the vest and severed the right internal iliac artery that feeds the femoral artery, among others. His fellow officers dragged him out and wisely got him to the hospital most ricky-tick.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Screen capture by Boch via YouTube.
Amazingly, with all of the return gunfire from police, the suspect suffered only superficial gunshot wounds. He was able to hold his hands up, stand, and walk out.

Meanwhile, Officer Rokaitis has a long road ahead of him. From Officer.com:
Modesto police Officer Michael “Mikey” Rokaitis must have at least part of his right leg amputated as a result of the gunshot wound he suffered earlier this month.
“(Doctors) did everything they could to save it and waited as long as they could, but it’s time,” Rokaitis’ wife, Megan, posted on Facebook. “We just want him awake and home at this point.”
The Modesto Police Department in a Facebook post Monday said Officer Rokaitis already had undergone six surgeries since being shot Aug. 14 and has more ahead of him.
“We are hoping that they will be able to amputate below the knee, as that will be the easier route to recovery and mobility in the future, but they won’t know until they get in there whether it will happen below or above the knee,” Megan Rokaitis wrote.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery for Officer Rokaitis. We wish him well and hope he is able to someday return to a career of service of the citizens of Modesto.
Some real police right there!! The way the one officer laid on top of the wounded officer while both kept firing on the suspect. Crazy!!!

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s easy to Monday morning quarterback but the mattress and items barricading the bedroom door was a big red flag, especially seeing the tidiness of the rest of the house they’d been searching.

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
It’s easy to Monday morning quarterback but the mattress and items barricading the bedroom door was a big red flag, especially seeing the tidiness of the rest of the house they’d been searching.
That is very true. I was more commenting how they handled themselves with the officers injured, & the gun fight. They probably shouldn’t of breached the room once they saw the mattress. I’m not sure if local pd’s like that have flash bangs or not. If they did, they could of hit the room with one, then gone in.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is very true. I was more commenting how they handled themselves with the officers injured, & the gun fight. They probably shouldn’t of breached the room once they saw the mattress. I’m not sure if local pd’s like that have flash bangs or not. If they did, they could of hit the room with one, then gone in.
Police departments vary with what they have and numbers. It looks like they were a pretty well trained up bunch. I’m not sure if they were a special unit or not. Obviously not SWAT as I didn’t see any long guns. For the most part patrol guys don’t have access to flash bangs.
I’m sure if they had knowledge of someone else in the residence they probably would’ve called in SWAT as no one responded when they made entry.
Reading between the lines it sounded like patrol guys had the pursuit with a guy that ran into the house and then came out and surrendered.
He probably had a bag or something on his person that they knew he put inside the house. They then got a search warrant for the house to find any contraband he may have left.
Search warrants take a bit of time and I would surmise the police had at least one unit sitting at the house waiting. Usually anyone in the house will try to leave.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a very similar situation.

A Deputy Sheriff’s First-Hand Account of Being Stabbed, Winning the Fight
byBrian Murphy
October 10, 2019
FacebookTwitterEmailShare
Story also written by Dionne Manchester.

No police officer ever knows what their days are going to bring. Some days are easy, but it’s the other days, the ones where things happen in the blink of an eye, that present exceptional challenges. I got the chance to talk with Deputy Christian Goode from the Sequoyah County Sheriff’s Department in Oklahoma. Last year he was involved in a life-and-death encounter that unfolded in a matter of mere seconds.

The Search
Skillset: Christian, can you tell me what happened on Oct. 20, 2017? I know you were looking for Phillip Trammell, a sex-offender with outstanding warrants for failing to comply with the sex offender registry, as well as forgery and child support. You went where you believed he was staying.

Christian Goode: I asked the homeowner if she had seen Trammell and she said “no,” so I asked her if we could search the house. We already suspected it was a dope house but told her that we were just looking for him and nothing else. She said we could come inside, and I searched a few of the rooms with my flashlight.

There was one last room on the right where I noticed a mattress and laundry all over the floor. I had a feeling our suspect was in that room, so I checked the rest of the house and then asked Officer Brad Roberts, who was outside, to come help with the search. We went into the room and looked around and then gave the mattress that was covered with clothes a few kicks to see if anyone was underneath. I saw some skin that I thought was his back. I then moved about eight feet away. The room was really small. Normally, it’s like hide-and-seek, and once you find whoever is hiding, they give up.

The Attack
Skillset: I saw the video and Trammell looks like a crazed Jack-in-the Box! What happened when you saw him?

Christian Goode: I commanded him to show me his hands, and he immediately jumped up and started hollering, “**** you, I’m gonna kill you all! You mother****ers get out! Shoot me!” He had a look in his eyes that told me he was under the influence, and we were likely going to have a fight. He was acting tough and was bigger than me. I saw him reach into his back pocket quickly. He took out a knife. I remember that “pop” sound a knife makes when you flip it.

At this point, we were pretty close to each other — about four to five feet apart. There’s this “21-Foot Rule” they teach us in the police academy, which means a person can strike you with a knife quicker than you can draw your gun and shoot them. I knew what was going to happen next when he drew the knife, and I remember saying in my head, “No, no, I’m too close. This is going to be bad, and I may not go home to my wife and kids.” I dropped my baton and drew my gun.

The Fight of His Life
Skillset: So, you had almost no time before the fight started. What did he do?

Christian Goode: Officer Roberts fired his taser but it did not deploy; the cartridge did not open. When I dropped my baton to get my gun, Trammell simultaneously lunged forward with a haymaker punch and hit me in the abdomen. The knife was approximately four to five inches long and about two and a half inches plunged into my ballistic vest. I later learned that it stopped shy of one millimeter from my chest cavity. All the while I was trying to fire at him, and as I lifted my left arm, he stabbed me again in my shoulder. The blade went in and came up.

In the aftermath, there would be a ball of tissue sticking out the top of my shoulder. I continued to fire, and he struck me a third time below my right chest. This time, the blade went in but didn’t come out of my vest. Trammell eventually went down. As he was going down, I remember shooting at him and my firearm being jammed (perhaps because of the close-quarter engagement; it pressed against his body and pushed the slide back without ejecting the ammunition). In total, eight rounds were fired from my service weapon, with five hitting Trammel and finally stopping the attack. I’ve been in some tight situations and have had tunnel vision before, but this was extremely close.

Christian Goode: Injured, but Alive
Skillset: How serious were your injuries, and how has this whole ordeal affected you?

Christian Goode: After the altercation, the first thing I felt was my arm burning; my stomach felt like it had been punched. We were going to have to wait for an ambulance, so Muldrow Assistant Chief Tim Keith, who was at the scene, transported me to the hospital. By the time we got into the vehicle, my arm was covered with blood. I remember him asking if I had been stabbed in the stomach because it looked like I was bleeding from there as well. At first, I didn’t think so, but I stuck my hand underneath my vest and saw the blood. All I could think to do was to try to relax. I had pressure on it and we were heading to the hospital — about a 10-minute ride — so it wasn’t long before I got medical attention.

While it was the worst pain I had ever felt, my injuries were non-life threatening and did not require surgery. The doctor explained how lucky I was to be alive — by one millimeter. No organs were perforated, and the force of the stab went between my ribs, so nothing was broken. I was saved thanks to my Quantum ballistic armor, which absorbed a significant amount of the impact. I was treated and later released. Unfortunately, Mr. Trammell did not survive his gunshot wounds.

Reflection
Christian Goode: It was an eye-opening experience. I’ve arrested offenders for murder and for other serious crimes before, but to think that this individual, with a warrant on him for child support and forgery, could have cost me my life is something I will never forget. From the time the suspect jumped up to the time he went down was about eight to nine seconds; it was lightning fast.

It took me about six weeks to heal. Every day I feel blessed to be here with my wife, Alana, and our kids, Christian III and Truex, as well as my colleagues, who I’m very thankful to for their support.

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,229 Posts
As the the old saying goes! Experience is acquired about 2 seconds after you needed it !

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More complete video;

1 - 10 of 10 Posts