Vet cuts down a Mexican flag flying over the US flag

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mike_honcho87, Apr 6, 2012.

1. mike_honcho87

mike_honcho87 New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nONjlZ8YMkA&sns=em[/ame]

2. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I'm glad he did it, but he didn't exactly treat our flag with respect after cutting it down. I would expect that someone who feels that strongly about it to do better than wadding it up in his hand.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yes.

This happened in my city, and it caused a wave of anti-Hispanic sentiment.

Posted about this on a thread here some time ago...lemme see if I can find it....

4. Tape

Tape New Member

the reason he treated the flag like crap is because the flag is tainted for flying under another, it now needs to be destroyed. I would bet he takes it home and burns it. .

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Misconception... It does not need to be destroyed. When you take a flag down it is to be carefully wadded up in your arms until it can be properly folded. A single man cannot fold the flag properly at the pole. Thus taking it gingerly into your protective arms to carry it to a safe place to fold it properly and respectfully... I do this with my own flag at home, I carry it inside to fold it in my pool table in the front room. When the flag has been disrespected, it is to be removed immediately from the situation. Contrary to popular belief, flags may be cleaned, washed, repaired, and should be well tended to, to ensure a long life. The only time a flag is to be destroyed, is when it can no longer be repaired.

6. Tape

Tape New Member

not a misconception, that vet will burn that flag, it is not like it was flying at his house, it was flying under a mexican flag and the proper action would be to burn the flag. The US flag is not like a little puppy, it is a symbol of our country and in that vets eyes it was disrespected because thousands of his brothers were killed protecting his home land.

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Just as an FYI. he did not burn it, he did not discard it, nor did he display it.

He kept it with him. He takes it with him to local gunshows, where k-bar knives with his words "I will not let them do this to my Country. If they want to fight us, then they need to be men" inscribed on the blade.

Guy lives in my city and became something of a local hero after this incident several years ago.

The news video, don't know if you have noticed, mostly centered on the Mexican flag, being Cinco de Mayo when this happened.

8. sigpi11

sigpi11 New Member

The man was a homeless vet! Still standing up for a country that really doesn't have much respect for him. (Im not an expert on the following statement just and educated guess) A country that will spend billions helping a country who hates Americans but won't spend any on it's own. We have to rely on each other thru donations.

I'm not aware of how much the government gives to help vets but I'm sure it is small compared to how much is sent over seas monthly.

9. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

It should not be burned unless it is beyond repair...

US Code, title 4 section 8

"(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

10. Tape

Tape New Member

did you not see him cutting on it like he was cleaning of his blade.

11. Tape

Tape New Member

thats even better, I didn't know he was homeless. I saying he will burn it was what I would have done, took it to the local vfw and burned it. Hey, him keeping it is just as well.

12. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

He was cutting the rest of the halyard off...