Glock Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted something similar in the welcome section, but thought I would ask the general forum too. I have shot my Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel in very cold weather (Alaska -20 or below) and had some FTE issues. I have never had these issues in warmer weather and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue. FWIW, it did not seem to matter if the gun was "warmed up" either by shooting or by having been keeped on my person in room temperature conditions prior to shooting. Yes, I was using the 40s&w recoil spring, but that never caused any issues in warmer weather. It seemed as if the recoil spring did not like the cold weather. Any thoughts?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
35,763 Posts
I don’t think the recoil spring assembly would have anything to do with the issue. My guess would be the conversion barrel is a hair out of spec and extreme cold effects tolerances.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I don’t think the recoil spring assembly would have anything to do with the issue. My guess would be the conversion barrel is a hair out of spec and extreme cold effects tolerances.
In extreme cold weather the barrel will have a slightly larger dimension until it's heated up. Extreme Cold weather will increase the barrel diameter until you fire a round then the heat will expand (or decrease ) the diameter.
I believe that the FTE issue could be the type of lube that's used. Most types don't do well at -20 F.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In extreme cold weather the barrel will have a slightly larger dimension until it's heated up. Extreme Cold weather will increase the barrel diameter until you fire a round then the heat will expand (or decrease ) the diameter.
I believe that the FTE issue could be the type of lube that's used. Most types don't do well at -20 F.
I'm going to ask a dumb question so forgive me in advance. Why would a barrel increase in diameter when cold? Shouldn't it be the opposite?

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I'm going to ask a dumb question so forgive me in advance. Why would a barrel increase in diameter when cold? Shouldn't it be the opposite?
Not a dumb question at all.....
We all know that cold shrinks and heat expands. A simple way to put it is that a barrel is a hollow tube.
with heat, that tube will expand in not just linear (length) but also the tube steel wall thus reducing the inner
dimension. On the other hand cold does just the opposite. It contracts in linear (length) and the tube steel wall
will want to get thicker, thus increasing the dimension.
That's why precision shooters always let their barrel cool down before the next shot.
I learned that in 32 yrs in the aerospace industry working with aluminum. Different strata, same principle. It's all physics

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not a dumb question at all.....
We all know that cold shrinks and heat expands. A simple way to put it is that a barrel is a hollow tube.
with heat, that tube will expand in not just linear (length) but also the tube steel wall thus reducing the inner
dimension. On the other hand cold does just the opposite. It contracts in linear (length) and the tube steel wall
will want to get thicker, thus increasing the dimension.
That's why precision shooters always let their barrel cool down before the next shot.
I learned that in 32 yrs in the aerospace industry working with aluminum. Different strata, same principle. It's all physics
I guess I was assuming the expansion of the barrel would cause the entire barrel to expand outwardly, but I can see that the outside of the barrel would be cooler than the inside so the expansion would have to go inward, shrinking the inside diameter of the barrel and vice versa as it gets colder. Do I have that right?

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I guess I was assuming the expansion of the barrel would cause the entire barrel to expand outwardly, but I can see that the outside of the barrel would be cooler than the inside so the expansion would have to go inward, shrinking the inside diameter of the barrel and vice versa as it gets colder. Do I have that right?
Well in essence.....yes
let me put it in another way
If you wear a ring, ever notice as it warms up to body temp it feels tighter?
Now take off that ring and submerse it in ice cold water and wait 5 minutes.
When you go to put it on it will feel loose until it warms back up to body temp.
Just that little difference you can feel, and so can your bullets in a hot/cold barrel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well in essence.....yes
let me put it in another way
If you wear a ring, ever notice as it warms up to body temp it feels tighter?
Now take off that ring and submerse it in ice cold water and wait 5 minutes.
When you go to put it on it will feel loose until it warms back up to body temp.
Just that little difference you can feel, and so can your bullets in a hot/cold barrel.
Thanks, I appreciate the explanation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts