Value of a 1915 J Stevens model 311 12 gauge

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by deadlift560, Jul 6, 2012.

1. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

It's in good shape besides one small nick on the stock.

2. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

You might want to post some pics, I recall the J. Stevens 1915 Models being rifles, .22LR .25 .32 Long. The J. Stevens Model 311 Doubles in 12 Ga are pretty collectable, depending on the condition, they auction for between $300 - $600+. Very nice shotguns in their day. I had a single when I was a kid, my first shotgun.

3. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

New 1915 model?/:eek::eek: HAHA..... Just kidding!!!!:D:D

4. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Dutchs, your awesome man. Always make me laugh! It's not in bad shape overall. Just once nick

5. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Now let's just hope Wrecker thinks it's funny??:eek::eek:

6. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Pictures. 10 chars

Attached Files:

7. SeventiesWreckers

Could never auction you guys, 'cause your priceless of course.

Attached Files:

8. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

10 chAracters

Attached Files:

9. SeventiesWreckers

You'll probably want to find a LGS that does appraisals, there is a pretty detailed grading system for collectable weapons. In the middle picture you posted, where the stock meets the action, it looks like a portion of the stock has cracked off, it should go all the way up flush, and you shouldn't be able to see the internals. It isn't a disaster or anything, lots of Stevens 311's cracked & split their stocks over time, and had to be repaired or replaced. A good gunsmith can section in a piece to fill split out portions. Here's a pic of the way it should look. Nice shotgun, well worth owning. I don't believe there are any American manufactures currently making doubles, probably why the old ones command a hefty price.

Attached Files:

10. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Thanks wreckers! I'm in a small town, and no one. Will give an appraisal so I figured I'd ask y'all, since your the smartest gun people I know!

11. SeventiesWreckers

I'm not an expert on them by any means, I just grew up with men that used them as their mainstay game getters. They are a unique design that has some interesting history. The design dates back to the teens or twenties. At that time they were made by The Crescent Firearms Co, Sometime around 1920 they were manufactured as Springfield Arms Model 5000, later, to become the 5100 around 1930. All the while under the authority of J.Stevens Arms. I believe Stevens used the Springfield trade name until around 1948, and began selling the Model 5100 as the J. Stevens Arms Model 311, same shotgun, different Mfg & model #. They were very popular, and pretty inexpensive. They were also mfg. for Sears Roebuck, & sold as a 101 I believe. And Western Auto sold them too, don't know the model # they gave to it though. None of them had serial #'s before 1968 though, so dating them can be tricky. That's where an expert would be helpful. They are a heavy barreled shotgun, well made & durable. But I'd stick to shooting lead shot anyway, age being a consideration.