Usmc

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cjs5858, Jul 11, 2012.

1. cjs5858

cjs5858 New Member

For some reason it wouldn't let me create a new post in the leo/mil page so I'll just ask it here. I'm enlisting in the marine corps and wondering if anyone on here has or had an intel mos. It's my top job I want to get into curious how difficult it is to land and how hard the defense language aptitude battery is (I think that's the name of it). If that doesn't work I'm going infantry and trying for force recon if I can get my LASIK done. All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

2. runman

runman New Member

Good choice my friend. I took the language aptitude test about 25 years ago (wow, feel old now) and let's just say, I have NO aptitude! It was one tough test and I was completely lost. Back then I was an audio test where this voice comes on and tells you a few basic rules about the language. Then somebody starts speaking the language just like they would normally speak for like a minute straight, it stops and they ask what you got from that conversation. WTH, I got nothing! Totally clueless. Took the test and never heard anything again.

Could have been stress too, because it was the first couple weeks of boot camp and they pulled like 7 of us from the whole company and sent us to take this test. We thought we were going to a firing squad.

Force recon is no joke, those guys are hard core! My barracks was around theirs for awhile. Good on you for striving to be the best. Good luck on your journey to earning the title of United States Marine.

3. cjs5858

cjs5858 New Member

That's my thought process. If I'm gonna go in might as well try the hardest thing bc it's gonna be hard as hell regardless. Do you remember the language you had to listen to? I assume today Arabic would be it but it could be a random language too.

4. runman

runman New Member

Back then it was still the Russian dialects, but I seem to remember something middle eastern too. Probably all from that region now though. I heard the school is extremely difficult too, but it is an awesome skill to have. Good Luck to you. When do you ship out?

5. 03Armory

03Armory New Member

Good luck on the intel MOS and passing the background. I was 0311 Infantry. It was the only MOS I wanted and the only good thing I set myself up for when I was 19. I would do it all over again. Same MOS and everything. However; if I was wanting an Intel MOS Id try and study 3 languages. Farsee (spoken in parts of Iran) Arabic and Spanish. As a heads up.. certain 3 letter US agencies have been known to recruit from military Intel, Scout/Snipers and Force Recon. If the 3 letter guys are your end game Id start preparing now and not tell anyone thats what you want to do. OPSEC

Good luck future devil dog. You are about to be apart of the most elite brotherhood in the world.

6. cjs5858

cjs5858 New Member

I should be shipping out end of year. Still gotta go through meps. I'm early in the process. And yes I'd like to eventually work in an acronym based facility.

7. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Best wishes and don't forget that college degree.

8. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Good Luck! I took the Test in 77 while in Boot Camp. I believe they used Farcee, Russian and I think Polish it has been a while but as I recall it was an Eastern Block country. The Phrases or sentences they use are commonly used. It is a Tough test and they never told me my score but with that and my ASVAB they wanted me to go through the NECP (Naval Enlisted Commissioning Program) where they pay you to go to College and you become an Officer. I didn't want to be an Officer or go to College so I turned them down! Good Luck if that is the way you want to go.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  9. cjs5858

cjs5858 New Member

Thanks I have a buddy in the guard who is a linguist I'm pretty sure he knows farcee plus an old roommate of mine speaks Urdu( spelling?) I've been interested for a while in learning Arabic and Russian so hopefully this goes well.