Using Synthetic Motor Oil

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by lrausch, Jun 7, 2012.

1. lrausch

lrausch New Member

I have been hearing of people using a light coat of synthetic motor oil as a lubricant for guns in general. Anyone have any information on this. It seems like it would work well if used lightly. :cool:

2. if it isn't made for a gun it belongs nowhere near a gun. Motor oil works as a lube under the assumption that for the most part it will not encounter dirt, it is designed to lubricate in a closed environment. When it meets dirt it holds onto it. Theres a laundry list of other reasons.

3. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I use a syntethic made for guns, I just happened to get it in a deal with something else, it is called SPEC357, Seems to be excellent to me.

4. lrausch

lrausch New Member

Do you know who sell's it?

5. lrausch

lrausch New Member

Your response does make sense.

6. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

7. lrausch

lrausch New Member

Thank you Sir.

8. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

You bet!! I started with synthetic in my motorcycles and never looked back!! I think it is far superior in every way when used right!

9. lrausch

lrausch New Member

Agreed, I think that regular gun oil would also retain dirt.

10. Trotac

Trotac New Member

When I went through AR armorers school, the instructor gave us his recommended recipe for an all purpose gun lube...

Three parts synthetic Mobil 1 motor oil (5w30 is what I ended up using) and one part synthetic automatic transmission fluid. (The ATF contains detergents). Obviously that makes A LOT of gun oil, but it works very well in my experience.

But I do want to try some Frog Lube...

11. lobster

lobster New Member

Now that is useful information, thanks

12. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Thread moved to Gunsmithing subforum.

13. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

A guy on YouTube does home-made gun oil tests, fredhart with his "Plate O Truth" series. In heat and corrosion resistance Mobil 1 motor oil does as well as any gun oil. I've never tried it though.

14. Seriously, no gun needs a light coat of oil unless it's being stored for a long period of time. Guns require almost insignificant amounts of oil to operate properly. A 4 oz bottle of oil could last one many years of regular cleaning. Putting too much oil on your gun leaves you wide open to a malfunction from a build up of sludge.

All that said, if you are using the right amount of oil on the gun, it really shouldn't matter what kind of oil it is as long as it's approved for use on all synthetic materials. In fact, one of the best lubricants for any gun is the copper or silver colored grease commonly used on brake calipers on cars. You may have noticed that your Glock came with that on the guide rails for the slide from the factory.

15. Trotac

Trotac New Member

Yep... The recommended living for a Glock is 5 drops if I remember correctly.

16. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Why use car oil when there are plenty of excellent oils made for guns? In an emergency or pinch, maybe.

17. mikecu

mikecu New Member

G96 synthetic oil is about $11 for a 4 ounce bottle and Mobil 1 is about $6 for a quart.

$2.75 per ounce versus 19 cents per ounce is a good reason.
    The word "gun" on the label doesn't mean it works better. IMHO it is more about the profitability.

Mobil 1 works great on guns.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYAMTQAOoM[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  18. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

do not use motor oil on glocks!!!

19. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

4 at the most. 3 if you polish your barrel. My Hoppes 9 lubricating oil (14.9ml) is halfway empty and I've had it for 6 years now.

20. lrausch

lrausch New Member

Motor Oil on guns

Well now, it seems there are aleast two schools of though on this question. Those who say no on the motor oil and those who feel it will work as well as gun oil. Matter of what you prefer I guess.