Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching a YouTube video. They were comparing clps. He said on a trip some people were having trouble with there guns not working when it was to cold.

Some cleaned there guns & used motor oil. Is that a good option to have motor oil just in case?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't think so

Gun oil works perfect """THAT IS IF YOU DON"T USE TOO MUCH"""" We are talking about a Glock so you have to know that a Glock does not like too much oil. It works better with just a small amount on the rail guides and not much on them.
Go to you tube and watch some videos on cleaning and lubing your Glock.
Automotive Motor Oil- (NEVER EVER ON MY GLOCK)

I have seen you tubes where they took a glock out of the freezer and it fired fine. There was one where the guy put a 42 in a pond and took it out and it fired fine.

Use the proper gun oil on your Glock and you won't have a problem.
Ronnie

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
No idea what video OP was watching, so I can't comment about it.

If you really feel like using motor oil, use synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1 if you already have it on hand. Plenty of people use it on their firearms.

Otherwise, gun oil is called gun oil for a reason - because it works well for guns. If you plan on subjecting your firearms to extreme heat or cold, go with a gun grease - otherwise, gun oil or synthetic motor oil is just fine, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I can't say for sure ---BUT---

I would think using oil other then what is designed for firearms may or may not cause sludge or corrosion.
I'm not an expert or chemist but I do know that Automotive oil's all have additives in them that could or would not cause problems in the long run.
I think that the gun oil's are so available and affordable that there is no sane reason not to use them.
Ronnie

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
I know some people will use Mobil 1 on their BCG in their AR's.

Here are some more reads on the subject.

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f10/motor-oil-24783/

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f10/using-synthetic-motor-oil-6204/

Here here a post that explains why you shouldn't.......

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f12/do-you-mind-steel-cased-ammo-your-glock-263/index25.html

A bit off topic, but this was bad info that I couldn't let slide by (lube joke!)

As an organic chemist (and avid AR shooter) who specializes in hydrocarbon chemistry (read fuels, oils and lubricants), I have to say you are not really getting the point, and your facts are misapplied. As a lubricant almost ANY motor oil is at least an adequate option, and Mobil One is superior to almost anything on the market, as a gun lube IF you happen to own a gun that likes to be run "wet". The multi-viscosity synthetic molecules are designed to retain a constant lubricity under high pressure and temperature (read rapid fire conditions) that breaks lighter-end lube molecules apart due to their fixed viscosity.
Now, as a preservative you are mostly correct, (though the argument over the harmful compounds is moot, virtually all hydrocarbon oils contain compounds with varying degrees of toxicity/carcinogenic/teratogenic activity), there are MANY better options for use as a preservative. Motor oil molecules simply aren't "built" for that purpose.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I use Mobil 1.
It works just fine for me. I use a little tube I got from Wal Mart. Fill it with the oil. I just stick a Qtip in there and hit all the points I need on the gun. It's way easier to control that way.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just don't see the point

Why in the world would you not use the proper oil for your firearm???????
It is not like gun oil is so expensive you can't afford to buy some once or twice a year.

It just must be :::
THE GRASS IS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET MYTH.

Ronnie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use good clp now that ive found gun oil not to be fun to clean up. The clp i use are slip2000 or breakfree. I used to use 3 in 1 oil or gun slick bit find clp better. Id never use motor oil on any gun.

Heres the video. I also hear military deployed using car oil since gun oil/ clp is hard to get.

https://youtu.be/fnDmHPQRfiQ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just found it interesting that what people use but how effective is it. Interesting debate i suppose. Using clp i find a qtip and few drops here and there last far better then gun oil. I carry daily. So i need my gear to work.

·
SwampDude
53 Posts
I can understanding using engine oil if you're stuck in a place where gun lube isn't available. Or, I can understand using it if you truly can't afford anything more than what's left in the can after putting a quart in the crank case. Beyond these circumstances, engine oil wouldn't enter my mind for firearms, especially Glocks.

Properly lubing a Glock requires only 6 small drops or so, according to the manual. Hickok uses less, I think. Thus, a small container of gun oil should last years and costs so little it isn't worth calculating the amount spent per cleaning.

I think using engine oil and 'special' lubes made at home from various ingredients have become popular as part of gun lore. I ain't saying its a bad thing; it just isn't necessary or beneficial, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
1. Any lube is better than no lube.

2. Glocks don't really give a crap what lube you use, and will continue to work over time, but the wear on an under lubed gun will appear much faster wear on an over lubed gun

"Gun" oils are not magical, nor are they all designed for every gun. Mobile 1 will work just fine on a frequently used AR for lube, but might be the wrong choice for preserving your "Safe Queen" custom 1911 or engraved English double barrel buffalo gun.

Keep your guns clean and lubed, with whatever decent oil you choose, and if you're having good results, quit worrying about what someone else on the Interwebs is using.

It's been a while, so I'll repost these excellent articles...

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/bea2f774fe866c00597b76c9db0e2339-1048.html

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/weapon-lubrication/

·
Woman's sho salesman
109 Posts
Sometimes i use motor oil. Sometimes i use kroil oil, sometimes i use remoil. They have all worked fine

Remoil seems to evaporate, which i don't really like. Motor oil tends to stay put.

The guns all function with no oil, so i don't really see a difference.

Motor oil works in cars, in all weather and motors are much more exacting and expensive than a glock

I gave up sweating the small stuff a long time ago, I recommend it

·
Banned
15,756 Posts
I have fired my Glocks at 15 below in blowing snow. Gun worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Motor oil burns. Don't use it. Find a good synthetic gun oil with a much higher burning point.
Every substance on the planet has a flash point. Do you really think a gun is going to run hotter than an internal combustion engine? Think about how an internal combustion engine works and the role oil plays. The tolerances on a motor are far tighter than any firearm. A modern car cruising at 60mph is turning about 2000 rpm's. It can sustain that for hours at a time. What is the reciprocating speed of a slide? How long can it be sustained. Motor oil is subjected to far harsher conditions than any firearm can produce.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Every substance on the planet has a flash point. Do you really think a gun is going to run hotter than an internal combustion engine? Think about how an internal combustion engine works and the role oil plays. The tolerances on a motor are far tighter than any firearm. A modern car cruising at 60mph is turning about 2000 rpm's. It can sustain that for hours at a time. What is the reciprocating speed of a slide? How long can it be sustained. Motor oil is subjected to far harsher conditions than any firearm can produce.
Great point. Kinda what i was thinking. Plus in a pinch. Why not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
EWL slip 2000 is good or better than most, I was looking for a different lube at a shooting range and was recommended EWL , they use it on some $$$High $$guns there, that was about 3-4 years ago and no regrets. They have a heaver viscosity if you want

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Here is an interesting read I just found.....

https://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/notes-on-setting-up-the-modern-fighting-rifle/

"Somewhere in the MountainsEdit to Add: Since it evokes commentary in every class I do……I lubricate my rifles with copious amounts of whatever motor oil happens to be on sale at the gas station when I’m enroute to the class, and I’m pretty sure I haven’t cleaned any of our primary rifles in at least five months…..somewhere in the vicinity of 7000-8000 rounds per weapon….and they still run flawlessly……motor oil is designed to do what? Protect and lubricate high-velocity, reciprocating pistons in a machine (your car)….what is your bolt carrier group? A high-velocity, reciprocating piston…..it’s interesting to me though….I change the oil in my Jeep more frequently than I clean my rifle…..****. Now I have to spend some time this weekend cleaning rifles."

The whole article is a good read. Its about "Notes on Setting Up the Modern Fighting Rifle".

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
Was watching a YouTube video. They were comparing clps. He said on a trip some people were having trouble with there guns not working when it was to cold.

Some cleaned there guns & used motor oil. Is that a good option to have motor oil just in case?
The only time the military uses things other than CLP is in arctic regions. I just keep using CLP.

There's a form of CLP that's meant for colder climates. Try that. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts