Glock Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newly armed citizen I have recently came across uscca. Is anyone here familiar with the company? And is it really worth investing in?

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
glocker19 said:
As a newly armed citizen I have recently came across uscca. Is anyone here familiar with the company? And is it really worth investing in?
All I can say is that ever since I signed up for that dumb newsletter all I have gotten are solitary ions for me to join, I haven't gotten any of the promised useful information and tips, and they won't stop sending me emails about joining. On the flip side the NRA hasn't spammed me like that... Can't speak for the organization though. But I don't feel the desire to join.
.2¢

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've been a USCCA member for 2 years. They have a lot of good info on their website, they put out an excellent 10 issue/year magazine, that I've really just started reading because I have far too many gun rags to read, and I've gotten more out of the 4 issues I've read cover to cover than I have out of any issues of G&A, Guns, American Handgunner, Shooting Times and Gun Digest combined.

Also their Defense Shield coverage alone will be worth the price if you ever have to use it. I also recommend http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/home for additional coverage. They also send you 3 informational CDs at the beginning of each year that you're a member that are full of good info. They put a monthly newsletter too, that's also worth the read.

Blackwolff, did you get the ebook downloads from USCCA? Have you visited their website at all? I agree that they send a ridiculous amount of email, which is easily dealt with and can be unsubscribed from (though, if you're still getting email about joining, you might want to contact them and have them fix it), but they also have a good web store for training material and they run good sales periodically.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
I'll look into it a bit more, but I haven't gotten anything but "sales pitches" from them. Just not a good sign in my opinion, same reason why I won't be doing AGI, gunna go with Pen Foster cause they gave me valuable information and answered my questions and they don't spam me.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Something's definitely wrong on their end if you're still getting sales pitches for membership. I don't get anything about that until it's renewal time. At the time you joined, there should've been ebooks for download and a package in the mail.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info guys! I do also get tons of spam from them, saying that I think they are just trying to get me to join and be covered. Can't blame anyone for trying to do the right thing. Thanks

·
SheepDog
142 Posts
I am a member as well and I do enjoy the information that is in the magazine as well as on the website. I do get a few emails from them but I don't find that a big issue.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Gunsmithing, but I have to wait don't want to start till I get my FFL and the business grows...
I've looked into gunsmith training a good bit and the one thing that shows up consistently is that online training, from anywhere, isn't sufficient. You can learn to be an armorer that way, but true gunsmithing can only be learned through training and apprenticeship/time/experience. There's Colorado Tech (I think it is) that does a live program and I've heard it's very good. Outside of that, the recommendations are to find someone to take you on as an apprentice. Getting the online certification, and then learning from someone in person, who knows what they're doing, would be a good combo.

It depends, too, on what you plan to do with it. Barrel makers, stock makers, refinishers, custom builders and gun repairers are all gunsmiths. For general repair work, armorer's courses are really all you need. You can always add Duracoat certification or whatever you want to use. But the other, specialized, stuff, requires learning from a master.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
jonm61 said:
Getting the online certification, and then learning from someone in person, who knows what they're doing, would be a good combo.
That's the plan, along with manufacturer courses and finishing etc... Don't know specifics but I do like custom builds (no custom milling or anything that extreme) but I do want a good rounded shop. Eventually... Just kinda dreaming out loud.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I have been a member of USCCA for a few years now. The best thing about them is their magazine and the information on their web site. I emailed them a couple of times last year about their DefenseShield program and have NEVER received a reply from the yet. I guess they are to busy raking in money to follow up on any emails sent to them. Once my membership expires that will be the end of them for me.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
With Defense Shield being included in membership now, and the price still being worth the magazine & web info, I know I'll be continuing. There are other organizations that I won't be giving money to anymore, but this isn't one of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts