US Navy Vets: Roll Call

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement & Military' started by PettyOfficer, Mar 3, 2012.

1. I thought we had a Navy thread, we do now!

So, tell us about yourself.

Served: '95 to '01, VA disability
    Boot camp: Great Lakes, IL, CNO Division (not that it mattered during my career, lol)
    A-school: Great Lakes, IL; Tech Core and DS strand
    C-School: Dam Neck, VA, DD 963 Class Radar Display Systems - NEC 1682 - FFG and DD OJ 194(A) and OJ 197 (washing machine looking stand up) consoles.
    Non-training Command: USS John Young, DD973, San Diego, CA
    Two West Pacs, Lots of fun, ships VBSS team member supporting MIO operations in the Persian Gulf.
    '99 West Coast Navy pistol and rifle competition team member.
    One counter drug op, found 8 metric tonnes of 100% pure uncut cocaine.

Separated honorably in '01: E-5 eligible for E6 (forced conversion to FC) but didnt have my ESWS nor did I bother studying for An FC exam.

Went home and to college in MI, now a software engineer with a MBA in Houston, TX.

Proud owner of a G30 and have my eye on a G17 Gen4.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

1985-1994 USN MT1(SS)
    Boot Camp Great Lakes
    Sub School, Groton Conn.
    A School SWSE Dam Neck, VA
    C School Trident C-4 MT 3315, Dam Neck, VA
    USS Benjamin Franklin SSBN 640, Charleston SC
    USS James Madison SSBN 627, Charleston sc
    Polaris Missile Facility, Arduous Sea Contingent, Goose Creek SC

3. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

USN-R
    Boot camp at Great Lakes (in old Camp Moffet. Re-opened just for us)

Reserve service on the;
    USS Bristol DD-857 (banana boat)
    USS Zellers DD-777...The little ship that couldn't. Tried sailing twice, came home on the hook both times. Ah, what the hell, we gave it to the Iranians.
    USS Moale DD-693...Highly decorated old Sumner class. Oldest, but the best out of the Brooklyn Naval Base/Navy Yard.

Radar 'A' School in Great Lakes.

Served active on the USS McCloy DE-1038...The little ship that could. (Actually was the smallest warship in the Navy by the time I got out, being outweighed by her only classmate by 10 tons.)

Ship was originally built with stabilizers which didn't work when I was on her for a dependents cruise. By the time I got onboard, they had been cut off. Wildest freakin' ride on a Tin Can you'll ever have.

As only one of the three RD's that didn't get sick underway, I used to spend pretty much all of my time hanging on to the old SPA-8 like a demented monkey.

She's now the Mexican Navy's "Nicholas Bravo" and still steaming after 58 years. Hats off to those boys down in Pascagoula(?), LA.

Got out and drove long-haul for 16 years and then into LE for the last 24.

Whew! Getting old and tired.

4. mike_honcho87

mike_honcho87 New Member

Served 2005 to 2009 Honorable discharge.
    "A" school was split between Great Lakes and Norfolk. I was supposed to go to Pensacola but the hurricanes ruined that plan.

After school I was stationed at VFA-204 in New Orleans. I loved the work I did, but I couldn't take all the politics that came along with it.

5. tin_star

tin_star New Member

1980-1984
    Boot camp - Great lakes
    TM "A" School FLA.
    Sub School - Groton Ct.
    USS Scamp - SSN 588 Groton ct
    Honerable Discharge - TM2/SS

1989-1993 (decided to do another 4)
    USS Fulton AS-11 Groton CT, Decommission Crew
    Changed rate to MA (Lackland AFB TX)
    USS Frank Cable AS-40 Charleston SC
    Honerable Discharge - MA2-SS/SW

Did a UNITAS in 81, And a Med Run in 83. I Am a Shellback, and belong to the Loyal Order of the Ditch (Panama Canal)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  6. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

4/70 Great Lakes Boot Camp
    USS DeHaven DD727
    USS Somers DG 34
    Second Class Salvage Diver Training San Diego
    USS Piedmont AD 17
    First Class Salvage Diver Training Washington, DC
    USS Recovery ASR 43
    Naval School Training Command Pacific Hawaii Teaching Second Class Diving School
    USS Petrel ASR 14
    Shore Intermediate Maintance Fac. Charleston
    USS Petrel ASR 14
    USS Sierra AD 18
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit SIX - DET 2
    1991 Retired

A very fun ride even with VN at the begining.

7. Kmurray96

In 4/70, I was across the road doing my boot in those old wooden barracks at the old Camp Moffett.

8. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I remember the old side. We started there for haircuts and uniforms. Many of the A schools were on that side I believe.

We always sang Naval type songs going thur the Tunnel under the road.

9. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

I hated that tunnel, our CC's would find a reason everytime to do push ups on both sides each time we wnt through it. The trip back was worse because you just left Dental and they loved to find a reson to drill.

10. mike_honcho87

mike_honcho87 New Member

Yepp! They made us sing anchors aweigh while marching through it. If someone messed up the words we would turn around and march right back through it. Good times.

11. Yup! I know that song very well to this day... Ending in "ooh, ah, four nine oh" (division 95-490, graduated Thanksgiving weekend '95)

12. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

13. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

You guys have me singing and doing push ups in my sleep. Division 13 Company 136. 1985. The last barracks furthest from everything.

14. Anybody have dreams of still being in?

Maybe it's because I'm a fat*** now, but my dreams are about either trying to buy uniforms prior to deploying or worrying about my dress whites fitting as I get ready for Quarter Deck OOD watch inport.

My dreams are never anything wild like my trips to Thailand or Australia. Those would be nice dreams indeed!

15. Kmurray96

Dream, hell! if they called me today I'd go. To feel the deck of a Tin Can moving under my feet again...beautiful.

Of course, at 61 and fat, I probably be half beat to death by the time we got to Block Island. :)D ol' Newport Can Man, can't cha' tell.)

16. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I was just on the USS Normandy (CG-60) a couple of weeks ago.
    Believe me, ship board life has changed.

Great Lakes had two Camps, Moffett named after Capt. William Moffett, and Berry.

Ya'll might want to see and review this too The Tunnel: http://eta-carina-ltd.com/page7/boot1.html

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  17. Kmurray96

No doubt. I go to www.navy.mil everyday just for the photo gallery. It's the best of all the services.

18. Kmurray96

Speaking of which, navy.mil ,just today, posted one of the best carrier pics I've ever seen done. It's of the USS George H. W. Bush (CV-77)

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/120320-N-YM590-835.jpg

You can click on the photo to make it even larger. All the navy.mil photos are done in super HD so you can blow them way up and still get great detail. Only the best cameras for the Navy.:)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  19. basscheez

basscheez New Member

Boot at GLAKES 1984, Co. 137
    BEE & ET' A' school (radar) GLAKES
    NPS Orlando 1985 Class 8505
    NPTU Ballston Spa 1985-1987 D1G
    USS Virginia CGN-38 1987-1990, RO/EWS

20. Scrunt

Scrunt New Member

SC
    1990-2010, HM1(FMF/CAC)