Upgrades to my Sig 229

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by jonm61, May 28, 2012.

1. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

After far more hours than it should've taken, and after I made the required man-project blood sacrifice, my Sig 229 now has a new short trigger, new short-reset trigger, new Sig E2 grips and the barrel hoods of both barrels (.40 & .357Sig) have been polished. :)

I also installed a service kit, so between the various kits and a smidge of luck, it's also got a new main (or hammer strut) spring, trigger bar spring, decocker spring, slide lock/take down spring, recoil spring, a new hammer strut, main spring seat and decocking lever.

I only polished the barrel hoods. The top of the barrel hood isn't finished at the factory and it doesn't take long for the sides of the barrel hood to lose half the finish anyway, so I figured I'd help them along while making the pistol look better.

The gun isn't as wet as it looks, and no, that isn't my blood (at least I don't think it is...) on the grip!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pin shown here, which is the only one in the slide, is nearly impossible to get out:
    [​IMG]

This is stupid, because Sig includes this pin in the service kit. In my armorer's video, the pin just pops right out, clearly because it's been removed and reinstalled many times. Only after beating the **** out of it, literally bending 3 or 4 punches in the process, scratching my slide (you can see the other side of it in right side pic above, just behind the ejection port) a lot of cussing and throwing some things, I finally Googled it. Turns out everyone has this problem and that the people who've successfully removed and replaced the pin required a very hefty press to do it.

This pin is meant to stay in place; it has a knurled and that acts like a crush washer. It is a one use pin, but considering what it takes to remove it, I don't know why they bother putting in the spring kit. GRRRR.

The red you see in the pictures is Gun Butter, which I expected to be yellow...This is the first time I've used it. I bought a kit that came with both the their oil and grease. They look the same, only difference is consistency. Seems to be satisfactory...I'll know better after I shoot it.

If it ends up being no good for the gun, I will tell you this...it would make a perfect fake blood! My phone camera is clearly way off in color, because the gun is on a bright lime green background, not tan, and the Gun Butter is seriously blood red!

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

My favorite nine is my Sig P226...a West German from 1988.

[​IMG]

( ...and NO, I've never removed the pin ! )

3. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Is that the stamped slide version? Mine is a half & half...German frame, U.S. upper. Sig does some funny things with their guns.

Have you handled one with the E2 grips? I liked my Sig with the original factory grips, I really liked it and was falling in love when I put the Hogue grips on it and now my love is eternal with the E2 grips! :)

When I was originally trying to decide between 226 and 229, the 226's grip felt just a little too big in my hands. I think if I tried one with the E2 grips and maybe the short trigger, I might just change my mind!