Glock Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member so I hope that I posted this in the right section.

I decided to install the zev tech v4 race connecter as well as the zev competition spring kit on my 19. They are nice but the stock glock trigger safety catches at the beginning of the trigger pull so today I ordered the Apex glock trigger. I'd imagine this will make for a fine shooting trigger set up.

However, Ive been reading online today a million and one opinions about the "safety issues" that sometimes arise with aftermarket triggers. Some people are saying that they can make the gun discharge if dropped and other scary situations. So I want to ask the more knowledgable members here on this forum will this set up make my gun unsafe as far as dropping is concerned? I bought glock in the first place because of its excellent safety system and now I'm worried that, in the pursuit of a great trigger, I may have fouled that up. Let me know what y'all think. Also, I don't currently have my ccw so I don't carry on my person yet, the gun stays in my truck but I will be getting my ccw and was planning on using this as my carry gun.

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
Try putting the stock firing pin spring back in, or increase the firing pin spring weight to 4.5 pounds.
You might need to adjust the take up screw if you have a aftermarket trigger bar that adjust.

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
I'm a new member so I hope that I posted this in the right section.

I decided to install the zev tech v4 race connecter as well as the zev competition spring kit on my 19. They are nice but the stock glock trigger safety catches at the beginning of the trigger pull so today I ordered the Apex glock trigger. I'd imagine this will make for a fine shooting trigger set up.

However, Ive been reading online today a million and one opinions about the "safety issues" that sometimes arise with aftermarket triggers. Some people are saying that they can make the gun discharge if dropped and other scary situations. So I want to ask the more knowledgable members here on this forum will this set up make my gun unsafe as far as dropping is concerned? I bought glock in the first place because of its excellent safety system and now I'm worried that, in the pursuit of a great trigger, I may have fouled that up. Let me know what y'all think. Also, I don't currently have my ccw so I don't carry on my person yet, the gun stays in my truck but I will be getting my ccw and was planning on using this as my carry gun.
To answer your question that I put in bold letters. There is no doubt that your gun is unsafe especially for carry. You have eliminated your trigger safety, decreased the weight/friction between the striker and the cruciform which needless to say makes it easier for the trigger bar to move rearward lowering the cruciform and releasing the striker.

Zev's competition spring kit is just that. ..To be used for competition. On top of the other springs It uses a 2 pound striker spring.

Most of the knowledgeable people here will tell you that there is nothing wrong with the Glock trigger for EDC. Learn to use your Glock the way it was designed. For the majority of people, I do agree.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For a carry gun I wouldn't do anything more than a 3.5 Ghost or Lone Wolf connector. Shooting the piss out of the gun will make the trigger a little better too. I've rotated carry with my 17, 19 and 20 and all of them have a Lone Wolf 3.5 connector and that its for trigger work.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, it's stupid to put a "race" or "competition" trigger in a self-defense/edc gun.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I just put a Zev race connector and the trigger/safety plunger competition springs in my G17. I opted not to use the striker spring. Just did it yesterday and shot it last night. I only use this for competition, there is no way I would do it to my EDC gun.
As mentioned above, take out the striker spring and see if that helps.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Great video from RoBar about triggers and the safeties on a Glock.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJRXZwslXoE[/ame]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I'll put the glock springs back in and leave the zev connector on as well as add my apex trigger. Should be good to go then as far as safeties go?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. So I've decided to take out all the zev springs and put back in the glock springs and leave the zev connector in there as well as add the apex trigger when it comes in. Now will that set up be safe as far as dropping is concerned?

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
Ok so I'll put the glock springs back in and leave the zev connector on as well as add my apex trigger. Should be good to go then as far as safeties go?
Wish I could help you there, but I don't own a Apex trigger bar and/or a slide that I would be able to see what's going on and check the function on your particular Glock. According to Apex, the bar is a factory replacement and you "should", I stress "should" be fine.

Thanks for the info. So I've decided to take out all the zev springs and put back in the glock springs and leave the zev connector in there as well as add the apex trigger when it comes in. Now will that set up be safe as far as dropping is concerned?
Read this thread if you have not done so already... http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/can-someone-explain-trigger-upgrades-me-47999/

Also visit the link that ArsonDave provided in the above link. It has been a long time since I have read that thread, you might find a comparison among other good information.

Once you do make the change, take BuzzinSATX advise in the link above.

Goodluck..Be safe

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have owned and/or tried most of the Glock triggers out there, and just about every single flat trigger there is for a Glock (including the Apex).

I would suggest running the factory springs, factory "-" connector and the Apex trigger. I have that exact setup in one of my G17s right now, and it is a very nice, completely safe duty/carry type trigger.

The Zev "Race" connectors are nice... for "race" guns. They change things a bit too much for a carry gun IMO.

You can check for drop safety function without the armorer's backplate or any special tools. Just watch this:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_MEVIhMz5E[/ame]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts