Glock Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone using Unique powder, I went a little crazy and bought a pound after reading about it along with some tightgroup and AA no5 and 7.

But my question regards Unique. I started making ten test rounds and noticed this powder at 5.3gr almost filled the case well there was still room but at an OAL 1.35 seems like you are compacting it some. I have read that this may be normal but trust opinions here more. I think blue dot is the same way, power pistol does but not as much as this. Just getting some input. Thanks all

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts
I'll send Happysniper your way...he's one of our resident reload experts...;)

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Wouldn't call myself an expert, but I do have a question: what load data are you using?

The Lee manual, if I recall correctly, marks with a "C" those loads that actually fill the entire case volume (C meaning Compressed Charge). I have never loaded with Unique, but I have heard of compressed loads, so I know this is possible and under certain circumstances normal depending on the powder used.

As a sidenote, I would not be overly concerned with loading to full useable case capacity, because some recipes stipulate this. It all depends on your load data charts....

Also, I would not be overly concerned about any chances of detonating the round during bullet seating. After all, you are not slamming the bullets in there with enough force to compress and detonate the powder (think in terms of a hammer blow detonating the powder, it don't happen that way when bullet seating).

Not much, but I hope that helps!

Cheers!

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
I use it. On my 9mm loads at 4.8 the shell is about 3/4 full maybe a little more. I haven't tried it yet but I know power pistol requires way less grn. Even though I'm fairly new to loading I'm finding that I like the fact the shells are that full when I'm really cranking out a lot of rounds on my Dillon in a long session. It most definitely has a tale tale sign of a double charge as it over fills and dumps out then it's a very easily seen visual that there is indeed powder in there before I place the bullet on top.{don't want to make a squib}

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happysniper1 said:
Wouldn't call myself an expert, but I do have a question: what load data are you using?

The Lee manual, if I recall correctly, marks with a "C" those loads that actually fill the entire case volume (C meaning Compressed Charge). I have never loaded with Unique, but I have heard of compressed loads, so I know this is possible and under certain circumstances normal depending on the powder used.

As a sidenote, I would not be overly concerned with loading to full useable case capacity, because some recipes stipulate this. It all depends on your load data charts....

Also, I would not be overly concerned about any chances of detonating the round during bullet seating. After all, you are not slamming the bullets in there with enough force to compress and detonate the powder (think in terms of a hammer blow detonating the powder, it don't happen that way when bullet seating).

Not much, but I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Well I use the the complete reloading manual which I like since it has all the manufactures in it, but I also have Speer 13 and some other data from powder manufactures websites. I have the data but some it varies so much. Sierra has max load at 5.6grs and others like Speer have it at 5.8 not a huge difference but different(and no I don't start at max). I have been reloading for 20 years now so I am not new at it, but I stuck with win231 for those years and IMR4895 for my rifle loads, so I decided to branch out and try some new powders. I tried power pistol but Jesus scares the crap out of the people in the ports to your left and right is like having a 9mm flame thrower, I mentioned this in another post, everybody thinks you are shooting a magnum(although it is pretty awesome lol).

I am not worried about setting off a round while loading, even if the round is packed a bit. I like getting input from folks on what they have done.

Thanks for all the feedback gents.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I use unique power for 45 ACP. I have never tried it with any other calibers. In 45 it produces some really mellow yet accurate loads.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Keep us updated, JackFrost, when you do some loads and fire them. It'll be good to hear your firsthand reports.

Do you have a good chrony? Clock the rounds and tells us how the velocities compare to published data.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I use unique in my .45 loads... And I absolutely love it and it does load the case about 3/4 of the way up... But never had a problem

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I use Unique for my .40s&w loads for USPSA.

I run 180gr Zero or Berry's heads over 5.5 - 5.6 grains of Unique with an OAL of 1.130. This load is accurate out of my G35 and Para P16-40 and makes major with a 171 power Factor. Burns pretty clean and recoil is not bad at all.

I also run 4.5 grains of Unique under 180gr lead heads...nice mellow load with little to no leading.

It's a good powder. It does fill up 2/3 of the case, which i like because if I happen to throw a double charge I know it from the spillover! :)

Use it, enjoy it.

Z

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had virtually the same question for .40 S&W. I had published load data giving me starting points at 5.0 (lead) and 6.8 (jacketed). At 6.8 and up, those cases were full. I trusted the data, and went with it. All seemed well, but I didn't like the case being that full, so opted for a lighter load of 5.8 @ just under 1000fps. The 7.4 was well below the max for jacketed and under recommended velocity for plated (1100 fps).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.