Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently a local officer shot himself in the leg while holster his Sig into a Blackhawk Serpa. It was neither the firearm, nor the holsters fault, and an honest mistake that could happen to anyone.

He was wearing a windbreaker with the plastic button tensioners on the waist's drawstring. When he went to holster that tensioner wedged between the holster and the trigger as he pushed the pistol into the holster.

Be careful out there.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
That sucks. I hope he recovers quickly.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I hate those elastic cord drawstrings with the little balls on the end, they catch on everything.

·
Registered
585 Posts
A total honest mistake, that is always something I am afraid of happening when I holster for the day. I always lean to the opposite side as my holster as I pull any clothing I have away from the holster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
bhale187 said:
Recently a local officer shot himself in the leg while holster his Sig into a Blackhawk Serpa. It was neither the firearm, nor the holsters fault, and an honest mistake that could happen to anyone.

He was wearing a windbreaker with the plastic button tensioners on the waist's drawstring. When he went to holster that tensioner wedged between the holster and the trigger as he pushed the pistol into the holster.

Be careful out there.
So are u looking for a safety trigger device to prevent unintentional discharge???

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
The real issue here is that any holster with any pistol can be a potential BANG without properly ensuring the techinque used to holster is a safe one.

MORE SO, the problem once it exist is: HOW TO clear the issue before it create a BANG!

The officer with the jacket isn't the only example o a person getting shot in the leg under this circumstance. ALLOWING anything to get into the holster that is attached to the shooter is the issue and has to be a learned response in dealing with this issue.

God gun handlers can practice all you want creating the fastest draw while doing some dry fire in thecomfort of your home. Allowing a tee shirt or, other clothing to enter the holster during practice of this nature is really no big deal, right? RIGHT!

Learning the correct method to clear the foul is, the difference between going home or the hospital. During practice with cleared weapon you notice the tee shirt get into the holster and just pull it out. What could possibly happen, the weapon isn't loaded. BUT there is a learning curve taking place.

You're learning to instintivily pull that object from between the gun and the holster when it fouls the holstering techinque you use. Holstering a weapon is more important than the draw. Two officers can vouch for that. One mentioned and another who's shirt got caught. Durig the use of a rifle the shirt pulled the trigger on his GLOCK shooting him in the leg.

Holstering techinque: Sweepclothing aside with the weak hand & LOOK before you place your weapon in the holster when wearing any clothing that might foul the process.

If it is determined that yo holstered and trapped anything in the holster with the weapon, Carefully draw the weaponand STOP before you bring the weapon to presentation. Bring the weapon out sideways and ensure the triggerguard is clear.

Be safe not sorry!

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts

MORE SO, the problem once it exist is: HOW TO clear the issue before it create a BANG!

God gun handlers can practice all you want creating the fastest draw while doing some dry fire in thecomfort of your home. Allowing a tee shirt or, other clothing to enter the holster during practice of this nature is really no big deal, right? RIGHT!

Learning the correct method to clear the foul is, the difference between going home or the hospital. During practice with cleared weapon you notice the tee shirt get into the holster and just pull it out. What could possibly happen, the weapon isn't loaded. BUT there is a learning curve taking place.
Holstering techinque: Sweepclothing aside with the weak hand & LOOK before you place your weapon in the holster when wearing any clothing that might foul the process.

If it is determined that yo holstered and trapped anything in the holster with the weapon, Carefully draw the weaponand STOP before you bring the weapon to presentation. Bring the weapon out sideways and ensure the triggerguard is clear.

Be safe not sorry!

+1000000 to this.

Just like climbing a mountain includes ascent AND descent, so "drawing" include coming out of and back into a holster without shooting yourself.

D

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Point was to be careful, always be vigilant as to what you are doing, negligent discharges can happen to anyone, it only takes a fraction of a second of being distracted or inattentive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts