UMC, White Box...or?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Kmurray96, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Which is the best factory FMJ for the range?

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I use UMC, WWB, and CCI blazier, whatever is cheapest. I don't think any one stands out against the others.

3. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I happen to prefer Federal Champion. Just for the range..i'd go with the cheapest!

4. My vote would be for the Winchester white box. Accurate, clean shooting, and cheap. I can get a box of 50 rounds of .45 acp for 18.95 here. Got a stock pile of those going on right now [​IMG]. Over 400 rounds so far threw my G21 with no problems what so ever.

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

WWB. By far a cleaner burner than UMC.

6. Hamster

Hamster New Member

I use Federal Champion or WWB, which ever is cheapest. WWB had a bad rep there for awhile with their 100rd boxes. I heard many stories of stovepipes and FTE's due to low powder count.
    I was in the store yesterday and noticed the WWB has a different look now so perhaps they've upgraded their quality control as well as the box.

7. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Federal Champions have done fine by me and have always been the cheapest so far. They are consistently cheaper than WWB or UMC so I've never felt the need to run them through the gun.

8. I like Speer Lawman fmj's for the range.

9. ncnrmedic

ncnrmedic New Member

I'd say cost wise you'd be better with CCI or UMC. But let's face it, the reason Glock earned the distinction and reputation it has is because you can shoot practically anything through them and experience far fewer malfunctions. But if you're going to be putting a huge number of rounds down range, I've found that Speer/Federal (Same basic company) has about the best you can get for the money. But that's my own experience.

10. Just asking as this always baffles me.......isnt the "burns cleaner" thing a null topic seeing that more than likely you will be cleaning the gun anyway after a range trip?

That being said, I buy all of them and I shoot them all at the range BUT for whatever reason lately I have been noticing many weak loads coming from WWB. That wont keep me from buying them. Whatever is cheapeast and in stock.

11. Lovethyglock

Lovethyglock New Member

My local Walmart has the WWB for 28 bucks for 100 rounds. 40's by the way. I bought a 1000 rounds of independence? They say blazer on the casing. They have shot great.

12. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I've always wondered the same. I don't care how dirty the gun is when I get home from the range, because it's going to take me the same amount of time to clean it.

I suppose if you're one of those who only clean every 1k rounds or whatever, it might be important, but I don't carry dirty guns.

As to the original question, I've used pretty much every brand on the market. The only one I won't use any more, especially in .40, is CCI Blazer Aluminum. Too many failures and too risky in a high pressure round.

I generally use Federal Champion, Blazer Brass or American Eagle for range fodder. I do also have some Speer Lawman on the way because it was the only brand available to match my .45GAP carry round.

I more often shoot "factory reloads" from Georgia Arms. It's much cheaper, in most cases, than factory ammo. People say .45 GAP and 10mm are too expensive, yet I can get them any day of the week for $17.50/50 rounds, cheaper if I buy in 100, 500 or 1000 pks.

13. carljr1987

carljr1987 New Member

My personal opinion is a value pack of federal champion rounds. You get 100 rounds for $27 and it's decently clean ammo. That's $13.50 per 50 rounds, federal sells the stand alone 50 boxes for $17. I have used white box before and had 4 FTF.

14. Federals for me, Shot 100 rds of WWB to and no FTF of FTE,

15. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I like both WWB or Federal Champions. Whichever Wally World has in stock. Federals shoot cleaner, but if you clean your gun, that's not a big deal.

16. cvitter

cvitter New Member