Glock Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go into Gander Mountain all set to by a Uberti 1873 Cattleman in .45Colt. The sales guy tells me I should buy the Ruger vaquero because the Uberti would "only last 300 rnds before the striker on the hammer would break off"

Now I'm sure the Ruger is better, but it also is 150$ more. The guy also said he collected Vaqueros. I can only find one story on the net about hammer problems with Ubertis. I would think if this was common, it would be all over the place. Also 300 Rounds? Really? Would think there would be a recall if they were that crappy.
So is this kid full of it, or is this true.? Anybody know? I just want the thing for fun but I don't want it to fall apart that quick.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
42,413 Posts
Another gun snob that knows everything. I'm sure he read the story online and believe it is the gospel. Ubertis have been around for decades. Supposedly their parts will interchange with original Colts. They are clones of the Colt peacemakers. There are thousands in use at SASS shooting competitions and perform very well. Vaqueros are cool but are not clones of the Colts. Vaqueros are a little bigger and cylinder rotates differently during loading. Get the Uberti. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. The only negative is .45 Colt is expensive. If you are going to shoot alot you might want a .38/.357 it's much cheaper. From experience these guns need more maintenance protectant wise. The backstraps pit easily with alot of handling.

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Danzig, I may still get it. The whole thing bothered me though. 300 rounds? It just sounds ridiculous. The gun community has a long memory when it comes to crappy products. Look at Century. If there were many problems with Uberti I would be able to find many stories on it. I can find an anecdotal story about every gun manufacturer. I might pass an email to gander mountain and Uberti.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts