Glock Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to be a passionate subject. The defense is not being properly trained, to I just feel like it, to Israel does it.
I can respect the I just feel like it. Can't agree, but respect that stance. At least you aren't making limp D___ excuses.
If you are scared of the thing, get training or leave it at home. Fear causes mistakes. lack of training speaks for itself. This is probably some company policy to keep the guards "safe". Just a speculation, since two of them are unprepared.
Two Men Lose Their Lives
Vaya con Dios.

·
Premium Member
14,913 Posts
This seems to be a passionate subject. The defense is not being properly trained, to I just feel like it, to Israel does it.
I can respect the I just feel like it. Can't agree, but respect that stance. At least you aren't making limp D___ excuses.
If you are scared of the thing, get training or leave it at home. Fear causes mistakes. lack of training speaks for itself. This is probably some company policy to keep the guards "safe". Just a speculation, since two of them are unprepared.
Two Men Lose Their Lives
Vaya con Dios.
In most cases with striker fired pistols it’s new shooters, or new to carry that don’t carry one in the pipe. At least in my experience.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
That can happen.

·
Banned
995 Posts
Sounds like either poor training or a poorly thought out company policy, maybe both. Add to that the complacency/boredom created by a repetitious job routine and schedule and you have ready made weak points just waiting for predators to take advantage of.
I carry with an empty chamber but I also carry a SA/DA revolver so it's just a relatively simple matter of clearing the holster and pulling the trigger.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like either poor training or a poorly thought out company policy, maybe both. Add to that the complacency/boredom created by a repetitious job routine and schedule and you have ready made weak points just waiting for predators to take advantage of.
I carry with an empty chamber but I also carry a SA/DA revolver so it's just a relatively simple matter of clearing the holster and pulling the trigger.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........
Yea, the revolver is another critter.
I have talked to people who work for the money transfer companies and most say to just give a robber what they want and don't resist. Why carey a side arm? Just for show acoording to them. Kind of a risky "show" if you ask me, and they didn't.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have talked to people who work for the money transfer companies and most say to just give a robber what they want and don't resist. Why carey a side arm? Just for show acoording to them. Kind of a risky "show" if you ask me, and they didn't.
Just like putting a uniformed guard at a bank, smoke and mirrors.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Speaking of revolvers, I worked for a security company for two hours once. They issued revolvers and their policy was to load with five rounds. The cylinder had to be in position so that the first pull of the trigger landed on an empty cylinder.

Their stated reason was that if someone took your pistol away from you and tried to use it on you, striking an empty chamber on the first pull of the trigger would confuse the attacker long enough for you to attack the attacker and overpower them.

After hearing this, I told the supervisor that was the stupidest thing I’d ever heard and just walked out. I didn’t even bother to attempt to collect the pay for the two hours I worked for them.

·
Banned
995 Posts
Speaking of revolvers, I worked for a security company for two hours once. They issued revolvers and their policy was to load with five rounds. The cylinder had to be in position so that the first pull of the trigger landed on an empty cylinder.

Their stated reason was that if someone took your pistol away from you and tried to use it on you, striking an empty chamber on the first pull of the trigger would confuse the attacker long enough for you to attack the attacker and overpower them.

After hearing this, I told the supervisor that was the stupidest thing I’d ever heard and just walked out. I didn’t even bother to attempt to collect the pay for the two hours I worked for them.
Why didn't they go full on Barney Fife and just give you one bullet that you had to keep in your shirt pocket?
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.......

·
Registered
102 Posts
i carry mine in a kydex holster and yes one in the pipe the kydex wont collapse for reholstering and no way can the trigger have any issues.i also carrie my 1911s in cond one cocked and locked.what good is an unloaded gun really?

·
Registered
374 Posts
In most cases with striker fired pistols it’s new shooters, or new to carry that don’t carry one in the pipe. At least in my experience.
This is me^ "new to carry". Freakout to appendix carry. Mostly carry in vehicle and property.
But, ............as Dr. Trump sez, Chief Special (late '60/early '61) model 36 or Model 15(1982) snub nearby.
Glock48 around and near "family jewels" every night. No way--"one in the tube".

·
Registered
23 Posts
I remember the first day I carried in public. My CCL just arrived in the mail and off to Walmart I went. I was so frightened that I didn't put one in the chamber of my 43X. As I got to the door of the store and stopped. I saw myself in the reflection and two things occurred to me: 1. No one knows I have a firearm and let's keep it that way. 2. If I don't have one in the chamber, I have a glorified hammer. I went back to my vehicle, racked the slide, put the firearm in the holster and went shopping. Never looked back after that.

·
Registered
424 Posts
From what I read, you can add lack of situational awareness to the empty chamber issue. If your job is critical enough to require being armed, you darn sure better be paying close attention. On the other hand, karma can be like riding a motorcycle. You can do everything right and still die.

·
Banned
995 Posts
From what I read, you can add lack of situational awareness to the empty chamber issue. If your job is critical enough to require being armed, you darn sure better be paying close attention. On the other hand, karma can be like riding a motorcycle. You can do everything right and still die.
"Situational awareness"
Not just with critical jobs. I think it's a very large contributing factor in the majority of carjackings, muggings, and robberies that occur in parking lots, parking garages, and other public places.
If you get a chance watch people parking their cars. You'll notice that most of them immediately start talking or texting on their cell phones and many don't even wait until they're done parking. You'll also notice that most people walking to their cars are busy with their phones too.
In both scenarios people don't take even a moment to look around for suspicious people or threats. They're completely focused on their phones and totally unaware of their surroundings so it doesn't matter if they're carrying or not.
They're ready made victims for any predators waiting to pounce.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Registered
Glock 17. Easy on my arthritis
33 Posts
I couldn't have that job. If there were any chance of me stopping the bad people stealing I'd have to go for it. Thieves need to have the fear instilled in them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts