Tungston guide rod ( putting it to rest)

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by TampaBaySean, May 12, 2012.

1. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

I hear a lot of questions about installing a tungsten guide rod in their guns. Well I bought a G22 that has one installed and the standard rod was also included. So I will be putting it to the test . I am going to take it to the range and fire with both rods and see if , in my opinion , there is a difference that justifies the $50 upgrade. I will try 2 or 3 different types of ammo and I will post the results in this thread,I hope to do this by Wednesday .

2. ... and for someone like myself, who is fairly new to the Glock world, can someone please post what we might EXPECT to see as a difference between the two rods?
    I'm really curious to see your results post, TampaBaySean.

And before those results are posted, I'm curious why someone would spend $50 to have a guide rod made of titanium instead of the [insert standard material here] that Glock used ? Other than being a fraction of an ounce lighter, what would be the gain?

3. CincyG27

CincyG27 New Member

It's actually heavier. The factory part is polymer.
    Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but:
    1: Less muzzle flip
    2: less felt recoil
    3: cycles faster

I have no experience with them so no idea if this is true.

4. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

I agree with your 1, 2, 3
    Although, I do not think it would be a HUGE difference, but I also have no experience with it.

5. Boracay

Boracay ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o

In my experience, I did a couple of test what spring weight that would best match with the ammo weight I used to get the full benefits of tungsten guide rod - to reduce muzzle flip or recoil.

**I use non-captured tungsten guide rod. I could change spring weight to a specific ammo weight..

6. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

I'm curious myself. I'm not sure if I should get the tungsten or just stainless steel.

7. Go stainless bro perfect weight IMHO.

8. Oddball Gunner

Oddball Gunner New Member

A heavier guiderod may help reduce muzzle flip.

A heavier weight spring may help reduce felt recoil and cycle the slide faster.

I run a stainless steel guiderod by BT Guiderods in my G30SF.
    Spring weight remains the factory weight of 17 lbs so the felt recoil and cycling remain the same. I'm considering changing the spring to 21 lbs sometime in the future just for giggles. It'll be while because I'm happy with it the way it is now and there are other toys I want first. :)

The front end definitely feels heavier to me.

So... YMMV and IMO disclaimers apply.

Enjoy your Glock Tampa and post your pics and opinions when you can. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  9. Tape

Tape New Member

you will not be able to tell the difference

10. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

I'm gonna take your advice bro. Stainless it is!