Tungsten guide rod and SS guide rod...

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jayta98, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jayta98

jayta98 New Member

Hi, I'm trying to decide what kind of rod I should get for my G21 and G23. The only mod is the 3.5 connector. I use the G23 for carry and G21 for home/vehicle defense and once a while I carry it too. I hear all this stuff about the SS rod is 3 times heavier and the tungsten even more than that. I'm liking the SS because of the price but I wonder if it really helps with muzzle flip? I hear both sides of this story. I also wonder about the tungsten guide rod regarding durability and muzzle flip as well.

Can owners of each type of rod give me some feedback please? The good and the bad. Thanks.

2. Ive been wondering about this my self. Here you go I found this. https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f11/tungsten-gide-rod-vs-stainless-steel-1128/

People need to start treating people alittle better around here.

3. jayta98

jayta98 New Member

Thanks Punisher. Yeah I found that thread. It still kinda of confusing since I found people mentioned they do and don't feel a difference with SS or tungsten. Also found that some tungten rods may not be durable.

Im deciding mostly toward SS rod so far.

4. Ogre

Ogre New Member

I've read similar. In the main, that tungsten versions with screws have brittle threads.

5. P99guy

P99guy New Member

I run a Lone Wolf tungsten rod in my G31,
    and I like it for the extra weight it gives the
    Muzzle. I didnt like the 49.95 price tag, but dont regret buying it.

6. the_mule

the_mule New Member

The added weight sounds good. I feel that some people replace their Glock guide rods because "they're made of plastic, and therefore prone to breakage". While this may be true to some extent, one would have to seriously torture their Glock to break that guide rod. Glock designed their pistols to withstand more than the average person can dish out, and those stock guide rods will last hundreds of thousands of rounds down range. Added weight, and the "cool factor" are both valid excuses to replace your factory guide rod.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  7. Ogre

Ogre New Member

I had my factory guide rod replaced in my used LE G17. 15 or 16 years old and it was the spring that needed replacing, not the rod. :)

8. the_mule

the_mule New Member

My 17 is seven years old. What are some signs that I should replace my recoil spring assembly? Runs like a champ at this point. I use it for GSSF competitions.

9. jayta98

jayta98 New Member

If you refer to the OEM glock assembly you replace it if you see any cracks on it. The test they teach in armorer's school is with the gun unloaded(of course) point it up at 45 degree angle. squeeze the trigger and hold it. Grab the slide and slowly pull back about 1/4". Release the slide. If the slide returns to full battery the recoil spring is good. if it gets stuck or you have to push it to go full battery is time to replace it.