Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
767 Posts
Havent used it yet, but from everything I hear, tungsten is wayyyyy better than the stainless, you have 500% more weight than stock with the tungsten, and only 300% more with stainless

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bryanbrescia said:
Havent used it yet, but from everything I hear, tungsten is wayyyyy better than the stainless, you have 500% more weight than stock with the tungsten, and only 300% more with stainless
Ya I've been checking into both. And it does seem tungsten is the way to go!! Thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
What is your goal? If for competition tungsten may not be legal, of just for piece of mind, stainless works fine, and so does the stock original for that matter.

·
Banned
308 Posts
EvilD said:
What is your goal? If for competition tungsten may not be legal
I've been looking into tungsten and competition too. Only illegal in "Stock" competition/classes.

I only recently learned that for GSSF events only one class allows customization, the other 6 classes are Stock. I'll even have to remove my custom back plate if I want to compete in GSSF even though it offers no advantage: it's not stock.

However, I might still buy the tungsten for HD and CCW purposes, and just practice with both.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
What is your goal? If for competition tungsten may not be legal, of just for piece of mind, stainless works fine, and so does the stock original for that matter.
+1,
if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

·
Banned
308 Posts
It's not that it doesn't do it's job keeping it in one place.

It adds weight to the front of the gun reducing the muzzle flip (not the recoil) allowing for faster target re-acquisition. I have a G30: .45 and a very short barrel which has a lot of muzzle flip.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've ran Tungsten in a G21, and stainless in a G17... I'm back to factory because the difference is not worth the price.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been looking into tungsten and competition too. Only illegal in "Stock" competition/classes.

I only recently learned that for GSSF events only one class allows customization, the other 6 classes are Stock. I'll even have to remove my custom back plate if I want to compete in GSSF even though it offers no advantage: it's not stock.

However, I might still buy the tungsten for HD and CCW purposes, and just practice with both.
While GSSF is fun, you should look into IDPA if you haven't already. Much more practical scenarios and a ton of fun. Tungsten is not allowed for IDPA competitions. SS is allowed in ESP & CDP classes.

·
Banned
308 Posts
I've done a IPDA-like course, but it wasn't official, just for fun and the RO's were lenient. It was a good time, but it was an hour from my house.

I live in Houston, but only the suburban ranges have leagues! It's a bit frustrating trying to arrange to get somewhere when all the leagues on the opposite side of town start at the end of rush hour.

Not to say GSSF events are close by any means. But the idea of winning guns is appealing, and the subcompact and heavy metal classes are usually under-registered and I only have a G30 right now.

I think I'm going to wait until I get a 17 or 34 before I start any real leagues due to cost of .45 ammo (more than twice the cost of 9mm).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EvilD said:
No just for personal carry. I'm giving the tungsten a go. But good point. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Tungsten rod in my glock 22. I also have a stormlake barrel. The recoil is about the same as shooting the glock22C. Bottom line though,
the glock 22 with the tungsten rod and aftermarket barrel makes shooting hot loads real nice.. :)

·
Banned
767 Posts
+1,
if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)
One of the first things you should replace.... straight from Glock themselves they say that the stock plastic recoil assembly can flex and bend and cause your gun to malfunction.... stainless steel is nearly impossible to bend

·
Registered
723 Posts
One of the first things you should replace.... straight from Glock themselves they say that the stock plastic recoil assembly can flex and bend and cause your gun to malfunction.... stainless steel is nearly impossible to bend
Where does Glock say this?

·
Banned
767 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts