Tungsten gide rod vs stainless steel

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by jeremydavis, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jeremydavis

jeremydavis New Member

Any opinion on what is the better by besides stainless is less in cost. But more one performance!!

2. Havent used it yet, but from everything I hear, tungsten is wayyyyy better than the stainless, you have 500% more weight than stock with the tungsten, and only 300% more with stainless

3. jeremydavis

jeremydavis New Member

Ya I've been checking into both. And it does seem tungsten is the way to go!! Thanks

4. EvilD

EvilD New Member

What is your goal? If for competition tungsten may not be legal, of just for piece of mind, stainless works fine, and so does the stock original for that matter.

5. I've been looking into tungsten and competition too. Only illegal in "Stock" competition/classes.

I only recently learned that for GSSF events only one class allows customization, the other 6 classes are Stock. I'll even have to remove my custom back plate if I want to compete in GSSF even though it offers no advantage: it's not stock.

However, I might still buy the tungsten for HD and CCW purposes, and just practice with both.

6. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

+1,
    if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

7. It's not that it doesn't do it's job keeping it in one place.

It adds weight to the front of the gun reducing the muzzle flip (not the recoil) allowing for faster target re-acquisition. I have a G30: .45 and a very short barrel which has a lot of muzzle flip.

8. DVCguns

DVCguns New Member

I've ran Tungsten in a G21, and stainless in a G17... I'm back to factory because the difference is not worth the price.

9. Oddball Gunner

Oddball Gunner New Member

While GSSF is fun, you should look into IDPA if you haven't already. Much more practical scenarios and a ton of fun. Tungsten is not allowed for IDPA competitions. SS is allowed in ESP & CDP classes.

10. I've done a IPDA-like course, but it wasn't official, just for fun and the RO's were lenient. It was a good time, but it was an hour from my house.

I live in Houston, but only the suburban ranges have leagues! It's a bit frustrating trying to arrange to get somewhere when all the leagues on the opposite side of town start at the end of rush hour.

Not to say GSSF events are close by any means. But the idea of winning guns is appealing, and the subcompact and heavy metal classes are usually under-registered and I only have a G30 right now.

I think I'm going to wait until I get a 17 or 34 before I start any real leagues due to cost of .45 ammo (more than twice the cost of 9mm).

11. jeremydavis

jeremydavis New Member

No just for personal carry. I'm giving the tungsten a go. But good point. Thanks

12. jidavies

jidavies New Member

I have a Tungsten rod in my glock 22. I also have a stormlake barrel. The recoil is about the same as shooting the glock22C. Bottom line though,
    the glock 22 with the tungsten rod and aftermarket barrel makes shooting hot loads real nice.. :)

13. EvilD

EvilD New Member

ipsc>idpa ;)

14. Gen4new-guy

Gen4new-guy New Member

I was also considering this. I do both idpa and uspsa... RSA is easy to switch.... tung vs stain...lets hear it..

15. One of the first things you should replace.... straight from Glock themselves they say that the stock plastic recoil assembly can flex and bend and cause your gun to malfunction.... stainless steel is nearly impossible to bend

16. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Where does Glock say this?

17. EvilD

EvilD New Member

18. Gen4new-guy

Gen4new-guy New Member

Ive learned alot from lenny but he wants to sell stuff....glock does not say this...still it has benefits

19. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Never said there was no benefits, but its not mandatory nor is there a specific recommendation from Glock.