Truglo Issue on G19 (brightness)

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by whatamafu, Apr 26, 2014.

1. whatamafu

whatamafu New Member

First off, I am a brand new member, and as i could not find an answer to the following question/issue, I made an account here! Please go easy on me if my post is less then stellar.

So let's get to it. This is not so much an issue with the Truglo sights, as they work flawlessly for me. My issue is this, I want my back sight to be duller then my front sight. When i first got my glock, it came with the tritium sights already installed, and i never paid a second thought to it, other than it was awesome to have night sights in it already. A year down the road I have my ccw, keep my glock loaded in the house for home defense, and i know that in case of SHTF, I will not be as good as I am on the range. I know my focus need to be on my front sight, and with my front and rear being nice and bright, I worry that I will not be able to focus as much as i need to on my front sight.

Now that i have that explained, here is the actual question. Is there a way to dim (not black out) my back sight? or should i replace it with a different color all together?

I would love a cheep solution, as i would not want to actually by new sights.

2. bogaman

bogaman New Member

I use the green front/yellow rear Truglo TFOs on mine. The green is brighter than the yellow so the front sight stands out. Can't help you with an easy fix though.

3. whatamafu

whatamafu New Member

Do you, or anyone else, know where i could by a yellow rear sight ONLY?

I have been looking around, and can not seem to find anything but the whole package, front and rear...

4. bogaman

bogaman New Member

A buddy of mine had been trying to find the yellow rear only. He told me he called Truglo and they told him they would not sell him just the rear sight. He got lucky and found a used set for $50.

5. a cheaper alternative would be to black them out with black plastidip and you could always peel them off...

6. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Get nail polish "base coat". It's a very thin (not thick like regular nail polish) liquid that is semi transparent. applying a thin coat can help dim the rear and change the color just enough for you to focus on the front.

The other thing you can do is get neon green nail polish and paint all of the frontsight that surrounds the tube. Then you'd have a "solid" block of green to look for through the rear sight notch.

HTH
    D

7. bogaman

bogaman New Member

I have heard that "satin or matte" nail polish could help but have never tried it. Worth a try anyway.

8. whatamafu

whatamafu New Member

Thank you! This sounds like a great solution! (much better then dropping around 100 bucks for new sights) I will be sure to try it out and post about how it turned out.

9. RKLOMP

RKLOMP New Member

I would take a little time to get use to what you have now, I have the same thing as you and have adjusted to my sights well, like anything their is usually an adjustment time, but if you can't adjust, you could black out the rear stock sight that comes with the gun, not the night sights you mentioned but the stock ones, this will give you one lit up site to focus on the front only, some like this better, it a choice you have to make….

10. whatamafu

whatamafu New Member

Sometimes i feel like my sights are down and left... I know it has to be shooter error, but sometimes, even when i focus on all the elements of perfect shooting... I just keep punching the paper about an inch down and an inch left....

this is where it gets real tricky... I am right handed, left eye dominate. I switch to my left hand... And i shoot better... despite a more awkward feel.

Totally off my own topic, but just my personal issues other than the sight itself.

11. whatamafu

whatamafu New Member

So i went ahead and blacked out my back-sight with sharpie. Then went into the bathroom, closed the door, and turned out the light.

The sharpie did its job, and i could not see the tritium back sight at all! However, this was actually very problematic for me. I discovered that i often times lost my front sight behind my back-sight, and would would have no idea where it was.

Completely blacking out the back is not a good solution for me... up next is the nail polish base coat.

also i apologize for poor image quality, it was taken with a very old phone.

Attached Files:

12. dwcfastrice

I'm surprised you went with the sharpie, knowing that oyu still wanted to see SOME of the rear sight.

D

13. dwcfastrice

This is most likely "shooter error".

This is one of the MOST common problems for new Glock shooters. It has to do with the Glock trigger and it's difference in "feel" from other triggers on the market.

Do a search for "low and left" on the forum and you'll see a bunch of discussions regarding this.

Basically, You're pulling through the resistance in the trigger too forcefully.
    After your sights are aligned, Very slowly take up all the slack in the trigger. Now, consciously try to apply the same amount of SLOW even pressure through the rest of the trigger press. Going slowly and evenly will eventually help you eliminate the "trigger finger flex/slap" that plagues many Glock shooters.

HTH
    dave

14. walkingwolf

walkingwolf New Member

NC
    I would not count on night sights too much for home defense, unless you live alone. You need to have lighting either as a addition to your SD firearm or a very good hand held flashlight with a high lumen number.

People have shot their own loved ones unintentionally by not seeing exactly who they were shooting at. The light serves two purposes, it illuminates your target, and it blinds your target giving you a advantage. Night sights are OK when you know damn well what your target is in low light.

We had a citizen killed by a police officer due to lack of light illuminating the cane the victim possesed. The officer thought :rolleyes: it was a firearm. IMO you should never fire on a target that you are not fully sure of, and for that you need light.

My guns came with night sights, I have little use for them. Of a night I carry a 1000 lumen light. It is not gun mounted, as there are times I need a light and I do not wish to brandish my firearm to see the key hole in my car door.

This is not my photo I borrowed it from the web, but who would feel comfortable taking a shot in this lighting with family in the house?

[​IMG]

Flash lights are not that expensive.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  15. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

I would disagree with much of this post. Coming from a military & law enforcement background, night sights can be invaluable. They allow you to see your sights not just in total blackness like the image above, but in low light situations. Home defense is a perfect example where you can use low light to your advantage.

A weapon mounted light is just as valuable. Skip the hand held except for finding the keyhole!

whatamafu,

I don't have a good answer about dimming the rear sights without potentially damaging them. But, try drying firing at night and bright sunlight in various different lighting. Practice acquiring the sights rapidly. I think with some practice, you won't have an issue with the sights. I have TFO's on two of my guns & they work well with my older eyes.

16. walkingwolf

walkingwolf New Member

NC
    Like the choice of ammo, caliber, brand to each their own. For me I do not like or trust them at all. I want to be ABSOLUTELY positive before considering a life altering event. I was also military and LE, IMO any officer who shoots a law abiding citizen by mistake should be charged with involuntary manslaughter just like any other citizen. There just is no excuse for it, and crutches IMO tend to lead to mistakes and excuses.

In any moderate to low light situation I can make out my sights, if I use them, without having them glow. I am more concerned with one of the basic rules of firearms, know your target and what is behind it. If I can do that I don't need aids like night sights. In fact I removed them from my 22 G2 and am waiting on a used standard set I got for reasonable. I will be replacing the night sights on my other two Glocks also. I can buy the used standard for around 10 bucks, and resell the trijicon for around 50 bucks each.

I prefer a handheld light to a firearm mounted light. If the target is that close that I do not have use of both hands I don't need no stinkin sights. In my days we did not have these crutches. They are alright for others I guess, but not for I, everybody should be held accountable for their actions though.

17. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

We had nights sights, but not weapon mounted lights. We competed against another department without night sights. Their daytime scores were equal to ours. But, in varying light conditions ranging from total darkness to poorly lit targets, our scores were double their's. Made me a true believer about night sights.

This isn't about blindly shooting in the dark. And, no you can't make out your non-night sights in poorly lit conditions as well as you can night sights. Those are conditions that you can still identify a target.

18. whatamafu

whatamafu New Member

I love all the advice here, and while i did not mention it, I will be getting a weapon mounted light. the viridium X5L. Knowing my target, and what is behind my target are invaluable in my living condition. I live with my brother... in a condo, with condos of families with small children above bellow and to 2 sides of my condo. I can not afford stray shots.

19. whatamafu

whatamafu New Member

it was just a test since sharpie is easy to clean off. I thought some might show through it, but i will be headed to the store for nail polish base coat today. Though i am unsure of what color base coat to get :/

also you are totally right about it being shooter error, though it frustrates me to no end. I actually have learned excellent trigger control (in theory) and focus hard on doing it right, but even when achieving the surprise break and whatnot... more times then not, i am down and left just a tad.

20. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

Let us know how it goes with the nail polish.

As far as being to the left & down a tad, that is not bad. A lot of us tend to shoot Glocks to the left. Just move your rear sight slightly to the right & you'll be fine.