Tritium sights

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by jsimion423, May 6, 2012.

1. jsimion423

jsimion423 New Member

So my wife told me I don't need to carry my gun since my fresh sights are tridium h3 radioactive isotope. She says we will all be sterile.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

She is incorrect just like all women. :p

3. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Tritium is a low energy beta emitter, it's radiation can't even penetrate human skin. It has a short biological half life so even if you ingested the sights themselves it would naturally process out of your system in less than two weeks. It's in gas form in the TruGlos where it excites the phosphorus inside the sealed tube. Don't crack the tube though, 'cause your checkbook will get hurt.

4. Yea, thats just silly talk. Its kinda like the old wives tale of radiation emitted from your cell phone causing brain cancer, or opening the microwave door to fast. There are far worse things in life to worry about. Besides, do you know how much radiation your are dosed with on a daily basis from outerspace?

5. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

If that were true there would be a lot of sterile people running around in uniforms with badges on. Since I know many officers with children, that alone should be enough to demonstrate that she's wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium_illumination#Small_arms_sights

Also, let's not forget luminous watches...if your watch glows in the dark, it's got tritium in the hands and face.

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Edited thread title.