trespassing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mwdenko, Mar 23, 2012.

1. mwdenko

mwdenko New Member

Ohio
    Why do people feel its ok to trespass? I asked this guy that was trespassing... It would be nice if you would have asked permission before assuming you can enter my property.

He said. You don't have any signs. I said by telling you that should be enough. Then he proceeded to tell me that its none of my business what he does. I then told him and his children that I am calling the police.

The neighbor behind me has goats. So even when I said you have to ask him if you can feed them ... He said that they aren't mine so butt out.

Once I started dialing the police and his daughter was concerned that dad was going to go to jail. He left.

What's wrong with people?

I now have two no trespassing signs up. Ugh.

2. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

What did they do? You kind of left that out. (I got the goat part, but that leaves a lot to assuming)

In my opinion there are a variety of reason/excuses that would result in people trespassing. Either they parked on the side of the road and walked, drove and parked on your land, entered a building, or just walking across to get to something (wild baseball for example). Trespassing is illegal yes. In most states, to prevent liability you have to have your land POSTED, that way if someone comes your land and gets hurt, you are less liable.

I have seen it all from an old man getting mad because I walked up to a rusty old truck he had sitting by the road (but apparently was NOT for sale), to people drawing guns on landowners while they were out tresspass 4 wheeling.

Already I can tell he was not a pleasant individual based on his comments. Obviously, he was in the wrong and didn't care.

3. mwdenko

mwdenko New Member

Ohio
    They were feeding the goats. Problem is that they have a special diet. So people trespassing. Feeding their animals could bring trouble on me. If the goats get sick that is.
    I had signs up. Someone in the hoa took them down.

Yeas HOA. Can't stand it.

4. WadeP

WadeP New Member

Your HOA lets you have goats? I used to live in one that required you to get permission to plant new landscaping or change the color of the trim on your house. They would have blew a fuse if I had brought in some goats. Makes me laugh just to think about it.

5. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Couple of years ago, a guy in Clearwater, FL had a forced forclosure on his house just because he was walking his dog without a leash.

Yes, he had been forwarned having committed this grevious act before, but still...this is why you don't move into a deeded community.

It drives me nuts that some people, people that didn't contribute a dime towards the purchase of your house, can pull that crap off.

Me? If I built a $3M house and you moved a used mobile home in next door, I wouldn't give a poop. Your kids, loud? Wild parties late into the night? Don't care. If you annoy me enough, I'll just landscape you out of my life.

Now, get into my life? Oo-fah! We gonna' have issues,yo.

6. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Three trespassing stories: The first happened several years ago. I live at the end of a dead-end road. Around 2AM, I wake up to bright, solid red lights shining in my window, and a dog barking it's head off. There's someone sitting in a car, standing on the brake pedal, backed into my driveway. I realize it's a cop. He's just sitting there. I stand at the window for about 5 minutes. I guess he's running the plates on my car which is legally parked on the street, but he's been sitting there for quite a long time. So, I go outside, approach slowly and loudly, hands visible, and I ask him "Why are you parked in my driveway?" - he replies "Because I can".

Law Enforcement Officers, I don't know how you're trained to react to a homeowner querying you about your unwarranted presence on their property at 2AM, but that wasn't the right answer. Nothing about your badge says you can sit in my driveway at 2AM with your dog barking its head off and your brake lights waking me up, you know it, I know it, and if you're going to be an ******* about it, you're going to get treated like an *******. You can afford to be polite in your first response. You can always be a dickhead later if the situation calls for it. That said, I liked cops before this guy, and I like cops after this guy. Ya'll are fun folks, especially when you're not on the job. :)

I was just loopy enough from lack of sleep to think that pulling my car from the street into the driveway, blocking his car in my driveway, locking myself and the keys inside the car, calling dispatch, and waiting until backup and a supervisor showed up was a good idea. My driveway at that time was one lane wide, blocked by trees on one side, and a short, but steep bank on the other side. The way he was parked, I would have had room to get my car completely into my driveway with him sitting there. Fortunately, he came to his senses and pulled out of driveway before I could complete the plan my sleep-deprived brain had conjured. I parked my car at the very end of my driveway, far further away from the house than where it needed to be, and went back inside. I'm sure it wouldn't have turned out well for me; I was just so pissed off by his answer that I was hoping it would turn out worse for him. He ended up sitting at the end of my driveway for a couple more minutes before leaving.

The second trespassing incident happened last summer. I was working late, about 50 miles from home, trying to complete the last of my assignments for the day. Call local cops, explain the circumstances, inform them I'm armed, give them my details - I've had the cops called on me before, and things tend to go a little smoother when they know what's going on before hand. I Arrive at vacant house just after twilight - it's officially "dark". I leave the running lights on in the Jeep. Electric is turned off in the house, so I'm shooting flash photos and using flashlights. I hear someone walk into the house, so I call out. He says he's a cop, and he sounds pissed. I start a constant littany of who I am and what I'm doing. Guy comes around the corner in boxer shorts, flip-flops, and a cell phone. Notice I didn't say anything about a "shirt", nor any form of ID, nor a firearm, flashlight, etc, I had spoken to dispatch and identified myself yet he had no clue who I was. I was still trying to convince me he was actually a cop, that I was making some mistake by preparing to use force against him, and that indecision let him get well within my engagement bubble.

I ****ed up. I should have drawn on him immediately, ordered him in a command voice to freeze and keep his hands where I could see them. Fortunately, I had every other advantage, so that ****up didn't turn deadly. I blinded him with my overly-bright flashlight, a 230-lumen "tactical" light that I used primarily for inspecting dark basements, prepared to shoot him if I needed, and got him to hesitate long enough that I could remove my ID badge around my neck and throw it at him.

He didn't believe me when I said I was armed - he told me to go ahead and shoot him at one point. I picked up a laser about a week later.

The third was just this past winter. I had been assigned to perform an occupancy check on a property about 30 miles from home. The way this works, I'm supposed to drive by a house, and if I see signs of life, I report the place occupied. Any occupant of a house is presumed to be present lawfully until proven otherwise. We've seen situations where people have "leased" vacant homes to new tenants, except the person doing the leasing doesn't actually own the home. Because the tenant may very well be completely innocent and paying the presumed landlord, the rightful owner can't just throw them out; he has to follow eviction procedures, My job is not to do the eviction; my job is to report my findings to my client and figure out how they wish to proceed. If there is any sign of life on the property, I'm not to approach at all - that can be considered harassment, or debt collection, or can otherwise interfere with their legal issues. Plus, what would YOU do if someone started walking around your house with a bag full of "burglars tools" and a gun?

So, I go out to this house the first week of November, and I see pumpkins on the porch. Doesn't take a genius to say "Hey, someone put out halloween decorations". A few weeks later, there's garland and red bows on the light post out front; Christmas decorations. Obviously someone's still living there, the decorations keep changing! Late December and early January, there's snow on the ground, but tire tracks and footprints in the driveway. Well, that's pretty obvious - still there. Next time I hear about this property, the city has conducted an eviction, and we are cleared to take possession. Cool, I head back down there to take possession, post our notices, and do an initial inspection. On the front door, there's the eviction notice. I verify that the "be out by" date has passed. Good. So I do my exterior walk around, photographing the house. I get around back, and there's a notice on the door from the previous servicing company, the electricity is red-tagged (turned off), there's a lockbox hanging from the door, the place has been winterized. I break in, and there's a contractor log indicating the place has been vacant for the better part of a year, and nobody's been in the house for several months.

I post my notices, and perform the rest of my services, secure the place as best I can, and leave.

My company gets a call a couple hours later. It's the neighbor. She wants to know why we haven't listed the property yet; it's been vacant for months. Then, she asked us to take down the notice I posted in the front window. She's concerned that the notice indicates to anyone who walks by that the property is vacant. It also seems that she's gone to a hell of a lot of trouble shoveling the driveway and changing the decorations, and my little notice ruins the impression that the place might actually be occupied... [​IMG]

Folks, if you have a vacant house in your neighborhood, the best way to ensure your property values will drop is to keep it vacant. The longer a house sits empty, the faster it deteriorates and the lower the eventual sales price that sets your own home's market value. All those people who advise you to make a vacant house seem occupied? They're talking about your neighbors when they go on vacation. Doing the same thing to a foreclosed property means that when (not really an "if" in my experience) the property is transferred to a different servicer, they have no idea who has done what, who is living in the property, who is trying to scam people using that property, etc. If you know the place is empty, toss a couple newspapers on the front porch and hang a couple Chinese restaurant advertisements on the doorknob. The fact is that everyone in your neighborhood knows the place is vacant, and you're far more likely to get the shady friend of a friend of a friend breaking in to steal the copper than you are someone driving around looking for vacant houses at random.

tl:dr if it's not your property, stay off of it!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  7. mwdenko

mwdenko New Member

Ohio
    The goats are on the neighbors property behind me. His house is not a part of the "development".

I'm on a corner. I have no neighbors on the left and one on the right. Even though I'm 10 houses deep in the neighborhood. I'm the first house.

Not sure I'm making sense..

8. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

rivalarrival, you have an interesting job. I met a guy in AL once that did the same thing you did, but he worked on larger acreages (i think). He told stories of squatters, pot fields, and a bunch of other 'dangerous' stuff.

I work for the USDA and end up on a lot of farms unannounced. Most of the time, a smile and a handshake get me out of the 'trespassing' category. I am sure if I had the attitude that a normal 'trespasser' or 'because I can' person had, then I wouldn't be so welcomed. Instead, I have been offered lunch, beers, and complete 4 hour tours of a 23 acre farm....