Training/Drills

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by jamesdo72, Dec 1, 2017.

1. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

Apologies if this is the wrong sub for this request.

I am new to concealed carry & am looking for range-friendly drills to prepare/train for a self-defense situation.

Obviously, I'll not ever duplicate panic/stress if a real-life gun battle, but if I can drill in some muscle memory around the basic fundamentals, theoretically it should improve the likelihood of survival/threat elimination.

Thank you in advance for any comments, suggestions, videos or links you might share.

2. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

Props to you for asking

At the range, have a target sheet with multiple targets on it. Shoot two shots at each, quickly, and move to the next target on the sheet & shoot two shots at each and so on

When you can keep the hits in a fist sized group at 7 yards, at a rapid pace firing and transitioning to each target, u're a dangerous man. Use your support thumb and the knuckle of your strong hand as "pointers" and you'll find your sights line up more quickly and you may not even really need them at close distance.

Add some stress with a target with letters and numbers on it. Have a buddy call out the number or letter and get to it fast and shoot it accurately. The extra bit of ""surprise" is a helpful element

Don't mistake target range accuracy with SD accuracy ... as mentioned, a fist sized group is a good measure

Also, you can and should practice the heck out of your draw from concealment

Your life depends on that a lot more than a 3" versus a 5" group

He who shoots first tends to win

You can practice your draw at home and do it til it's ultra reliable and ultra fast. Incorporate a side step in your draw. Also practice drawing while moving backwards, sideways, from on the ground with one hand ... you get the idea

On all this ... shooting and drawing ... focus on form & reliability then add speed. Not the other way around

Good luck to ya!

Ten Man, cnutco and jamesdo72 like this.

3. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

There's something that you should take under consideration, aside from training, drills, etc.

Bad people that are up to no good, don't often go solo. It's highly likely that the one that catches your attention is working with others that serve as an overwatch, and are out of sight, or pretending to be bystanders.

So, before you get caught up considering imaginary situations, just consider that the guy robbing the register clerk is likely to have a parter that came in advance, and now has a bead on your back from inside the beer cooler, and your totally clueless in regard to that.

Just add a couple more killers to all your imaginings, then see how you might deal with a no win event that's almost certainly going to get you shot & killed if you make the wrong move.

jamesdo72 likes this.
  4. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

My buddy and I ran the call out letter/number drill the first time yesterday. We had 4 paper plates spaced evenly within a 4ftx6ft square. They were labeled A,B,1,2, with all characters in different colors. Over the last 4 months of shooting together, our range accuracy has improved substantially, but with this drill, it vanished like a fart in a whirlwind.

Appreciate the tips!

5. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

Great points. Thank you.

SeventiesWreckers likes this.
  6. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

My indoor range has extremely limited options for training. For that reason I purchased a replica laser trainer. Now my options limitless. Doesn’t replicate muzzle recoil management but that’s what the range is for. I can train with sights or more likely point and shoot which is more likely to occur in a defensive carry scenario.

Considerable savings in ammo. Can train at anytime and just about anywhere.

Snap caps and my actual carry weapon for changing mags and racking my slide from different positions including grabbing it from the front.

Lots can be done outside the range. Including constantly evaluating your surroundings and calculating how to best handle a threat from different angles. Your mind is the greatest weapon and avoiding a bad situation is best versus engaging it.

[​IMG]

7. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

I've eyeballed this, or one like it for a while...just can't pull the trigger on 1/4 the price tag of another (new) Glock to practice with...lol.

Appreciate the tip though!

cnutco likes this.
  8. Southlake

Southlake Just a Texan is S. Florida. Lifetime Supporting Member

Add a shot timer to your weekly range time. If the range is busy, then add a stop watch. It's amazing what a timer will do to your stress level.

9. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

My shooting buddy has one & we use it often. It is a game changer, for sure.

I also run the SPLIT SHOT TIMER APP (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.csl1911a1.livefiretrainer). It is semi-reliable.

10. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member

Any of the thousands of USPSA classifier stages. You are really best off to get a real shot timer, as most the phone apps are not that good a picking up all the shots.

https://www.uspsa.org/classifiers

11. GARRIGA

Box of ammo times number of range trips not taken. That’s how I justified the cost plus the convenience of anytime and anywhere was just too tempting. Really does improve your shot and especially with point and shoot. But I get it. Very pricy.

12. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

Agreed - I didnt have much faith in the APP - you get what you pay for after all & it was free, so....
    It's on my To Do list to get a "real" shot timer. My buddy has one, but either we're too dumb to figure it out, or it is a POS. LOL
    Here's the one I'm considering buying:
    https://www.shootersconnectionstore...cket-Pro-II-Timer-Blue-P192.aspx?ItemId=87778
    Any reviews or input is appreciated.

rbbeers likes this.
  13. SixG17s

The Pocker Pros are good timers, and pretty easy to use. I like the CED 7000 and also have an ancient RUReady timer from decades ago. The Pact timer is nice also, but I don't like the release trigger. You notice they are all about the same price.

Which one do you have now? It may just be preset to a par time, or you not holding the microphone towards the gun.

14. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

Belongs to my buddy, so not positive, but I think it's a PACT.
    Trouble we were having is:
    The "go" beeper will go off & I'd commence firing. When reviewing the times after, it would always show 174.954 and then the splits.
    Granted, I'm no quick draw McGraw, it doesn't take me nearly 3 min to draw and get a shot off either. Lol

We played with it for about an hour and then got frustrated.
    Maybe his is a lemon?
    If you have any tips, I'd love to hear em.
    Thanks - DJ

15. SixG17s

16. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

Nope, there's no second "par" beep.

I don't recall seeing any instructions for my buddy's timer though, so I've printed off what you provided & we'll give it a go again for due diligence.

Thanks for the help!

17. SixG17s

Like I said, if it's a PACT and doesn't work, they will make it right.

18. GARRIGA

Timers and self defense? What are you guys practicing? Quick draw? Has anyone ever actually (in modern times) defended themselves with a quick draw. Can’t be how many shots on target. I don’t need a timer for that. My brain can tell me if I’d likely fail to survive if I was that slow.

I honestly can’t get my head around why one training for self defense would require a timer. Sorry if it comes across as a troll. Just not getting the value.

Same when guys practice 50 yard shots. At that distance I’m likely not defensive anymore.

Not only do we need to survive the encounter but the likely court process which can be criminal and/or civil. I don’t see self defense as a game or match shooting.

First goal is evade. Perhaps more time spent learning to evaluate one’s surroundings will go further than perfecting a technique that may never be used. I can’t recall last that was said. If you’re good at the latter. Less likely any self defense tactic will be used.

Actual self defense should be the last option. Might be a kid with a broken phone asking to use yours. Quick draw might be too quick. Think. Evaluate. React. No?

19. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Supporter

Simply stated, practicing against the clock and 'shooting at distance' prompts the shooter to concentrate on honing the proper techniques to quickly make good hits.

Of course, situational awareness and avoidance are much prefered to confrontation. However, when the 'last option' is absolutely necessary, 'good hits... quickly' may save your life. :D

Best regards,

Bob :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  20. SixG17s

Gar, you can imagine that your are fast and accurate, drawing from an IWB holster while moving, or you can actually measure it, with a shot timer. Have you never been to any formal training?

Like this guy..... Try it if you think it's so easy