Touching up a Glock

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by ryanmckenna88, Apr 26, 2012.

1. ryanmckenna88

ryanmckenna88 New Member

I bought a used Glock that was originally purchased in 2005. Is there a good way to "touch it up"? Do those products like "Instant Blue" or whatever work well?

My main concern is on the top of the gun...the metal under the opening in the slide....not sure what it is called. Basically the rectangular section of metal beneath the slide that shows. It is blackish. The slide rubs on it and has made it almost silver from the rubbing. Can I just use some sort of black marker?

The picture I attached, the section with the serial numbers on it. I hope I am being clear....

Attached Files:

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

On the slide (lower one in pic) the finish wear seems extensive enough to warrant sending to Glock for a factory refinish, or to Nukinfuts for anything else :D

If you have some of that Instant Blue (use the formula for metal finishes, not aluminum), try it on the insides of the slide, like maybe the area where the barrel sits, and let us know what you find out.

3. Marker will look terrible and won't last very long. You have two options (well you have many, these are the most affordable):

1) Polish them

or

2) Duracoat. You can paint it very close to factory, or any one of a lot of different colors. The Duracoat is stronger then the original factory coating and will last a few lifetimes. Here is a link with a lot of good information as well as some pricing:

https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f28/spray-into-spring-duracoating-sale-3713/

4. ryanmckenna88

ryanmckenna88 New Member

This is MY actual gun. I just found that other pic on google images. Mine is even WORSE! Why is it rubbing off like that? Is it normal?

Attached Files:

5. Ogre

Ogre New Member

I bought a LEO G17 some months back. The finish on the barrel had polished off more than that. Its normal.

6. Its normal. You can have it painted

7. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Those marks are the sign of WORK!! I would be proud to have the hood of my barrel looking like that. That means your gun is being shot and it's a good thing. Either have it polished or leave it as is. It's supposed to look like that.

8. ryanmckenna88

ryanmckenna88 New Member

Hahaha. Thanks. Since I got it in February, I have shot at least 200 rounds a week. I got addicted FAST. I am very poor from buying ammo. I am so stupid to not realize its just the barrel. I am strongly considering having nukinfuts polish my barrel....not my slide. In risk of looking even more stupid, what is the "feed ramp"?! Thanks every one.

9. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

It's not going to do you any good to paint or refinish that unless you plan on not shooting it at all.

10. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

This is your feed ramp:

[​IMG]

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

^^^---- The "feed ramp" is, well, it's the ramp upon which the rounds depend to get into the chamber properly when feeding out of the magazine.

Nice polish job on the one on the left, by the way!

12. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Those aren't mine. I'm at work and had to find them on Google. I polish all my feed ramps as soon as I get a gun. Seems to help the JHP rounds.

13. jsimion423

jsimion423 New Member

I love the polished look...but that's just me. Lol

Attached Files:

14. Thats not true. Cheap finishes and possibly factory maybe, but a professional finish is not going to wear like that.

15. jsimion423

jsimion423 New Member

That's every true. I've got 700 rounds now down the pipe when it's polished.
    Very minimal scratching.

Attached Files:

16. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

I was referring to his barrel hood pic. Are you talking about the slide? Cause I'm not.

17. No I'm talking about the barrel hood.