Glock Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a torque wrench specifically for mounting red dot sights and mounting plates on my Glock MOS pistols.
The RDS manufacturers always recommend tightening screws down to a specific inch-pound torque setting.
What brand/model do the the professional armorers use?

Reactions: Greywood

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks greydog. That's on my shortlist. There are a few others, like Weaver , Proto and Snap-on. Fix-It-Sticks has a line of miniature torque-limiting drivers, but I wonder how good they are. By good, I mean accuracy and repeatability over time. Jeez, the price on that Snap-on!
Wiha has one in their catalog, too.

I've always mounted my iron sights with hand tools and a tiny drop of blue loctite. Same thing for the one red dot sight I have on my G17.5 MOS. I've only had one front sight fly off at the range, and that was because I didn't use loctite, as I recall.

Greydog, do you use your Wheeler wrench often?

·
Low speed High drag
2,224 Posts
I've used it and let a few buddies use it a fair amount. It's been mostly used for optics by me. It comes calibrated and after looking around at alot of other brands I went with the wheeler.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: SJ 40

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Whoa thanks! They're right here in Kansas and usually get my stuff to me pronto!
Even in Vermont they get my orders pronto, good folks.

Reactions: cazbass

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I have never used an inch lb wrench for gunsmithing in 55 years, but then you have to have that feel (best to use long arm hex key, not standard length). Same feel for tapping very small threads. By the way, the Wheeler is only $40 on Amazon. I don't use thread lockers either (Loctite is just one brand), but rather use Permatex #2 gasket sealer. Have installed well over 200 iron sights on Glocks alone, and at least 4 dozen dots. It acts as a thread filler, and never fully cures, so it can be removed. It is also totally solvent resistant.

Most likely if you dot came out, the screw was too long and bottomed out. You have to check thread length with any dot install as many will have the wrong length. You just put them in a pin vise and Dremel to the correct length.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts