Top reasons citizens do not carry handguns

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by kxyx86, Jun 15, 2012.

1. BoShimTang

BoShimTang New Member

Not sure what is available in Ohio but in Colorado the folks that provided my CCW Training also offered a class titled "The Legal Aftermath of Defensive Shooting." It was taught by an attorney and was well worth the cost and time. You might check with local CCW instructors.

2. trex1310

trex1310 Heart Of Dixie

I'm a NRA life member and I have to disagree. What you propose is
    yet another government bureaucracy or two deciding who can have
    a firearm. What if I want a rifle to go deer hunting or a shotgun to
    go dove hunting? I would have to take some course and get a
    certificate that says I know which end is dangerous. No thanks.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't mention anything about courses or
    certificates and for good reason.

3. Neverfollow

Neverfollow New Member

I've read everyone's post on this page and I would only offer some perspective on regulation and/or certificates. I'm a hard core libertarian and constitutionalist but there are limitations with firearms we might need to consider. Government regulation is not whole in part a bad thing. Without some government we are left with anarchy. Although driving in CA is privilege and not a right I do not want an unlicensed driver with little or no mandatory experience taking my family out at the next intersection. The mere fact that you're on this forum illustrates how important protecting this god given right is. I'm either at the range or in a class and I'm constantly unnerved by professionals, ie police officers and sheriffs, who are not proficient or even a good shot. Proficiency tests are the best way to protect that freedom. Not enough regulation is being used as a tool to strip us of this right. We've placed regulation on free speech for a good reason. You should want the bar to be set at some level with some consistency for a myriad of reasons. I'm petrified of people with a confidence in a their firearm they don't deserve. We don't need to give Carte Blanche to the government but we can't be foolish to think that people don't need training. Independent training from a private citizens with experience and knowledge could serve as the gatekeeper of those requirements. Your thoughts?

4. Kronous

Kronous Junior Member

Texas
    LMAO. My wife asked me a few weeks ago as we were leaving to go to dinner( as I was deciding .44 or 9mm) if I had to carry all the time. I asked he to add me to her distribution list, so I could know when it would be safe not to!!! I'm still in hot water for the tone of my response, but worth every minute of it.

5. fireman5

fireman5 Junior Member Supporter

WNY
    I can't carry at work. But when I get home my gun goes on. This week I'm on vacation so my gun is at my side when I'm awake. It's on the night stand when I'm seeing.

6. COchef90

COchef90 New Member

To everyone who says they can't carry at work, I respect that, and you, however I would like to ask you a question.

Are you not allowed or are you not able?

I'm not ALLOWED to carry at work, but that has never stopped me. A lot of the time people think "what if I am caught with my gun??!" Instead of "what if i am caught without my gun??!"

Again, to each his (or her) own, and everyone's circumstances are different. I hope that everyone here never needs their ccw, but if you do, that its handy.

7. TM23_co

TM23_co New Member

Wherw do you cook in colorado that you can't carry... I have relatives at the broadmoor that carry daily at work.

8. GlockfanAZ

GlockfanAZ New Member

casey, how do you carry your 27 that makes it hard to conceal in summer? I am a small guy and I conceal a 23 all year in AZ with no one the wiser. Even in job interviews. Just wondering...;)

9. GlockfanAZ

GlockfanAZ New Member

+ infinity lol.

Honestly I can care less about signs. My safety is up to me to decide, not a sign. No sign has keep anyone safe. Look back to the recent School shooting, how did that sign work out??

This is a God given right. God made man, man made these laws.

10. COchef90

COchef90 New Member

This summer i was working for an EXTREMELY LIBERAL employer, obama posters everywhere.... i was working the day of the aurora shooting, and my boss basically said "im all for the second amendment, but who needs a gun with more than 10 rounds... KILLERS DO." needless to say i had to laugh because i had a G22 with an extra "clip of death" for a total of 31 rds under the jacket. Now i am working at a corporate restaurant with a "no weapons" policy. i think of my ccw as more of a life preserver than a weapon...

11. RockoutwithmyGlockout

RockoutwithmyGlockout New Member

Well, my last job, had a no weapons policy, which didn't stop me any. My job was in a very shady area with occasional drive bys. (No joke) I was able to conceal my 17, but switched to my 27 just to sure it was concealed well. Now that I don't work there, (I was basically thrown under the bus and fired recently unrelated to me carrying) I'm looking for a job that may be more 2nd amendment friendly, which may be impossible. But I'm going to try.

12. Mancinoman

Mancinoman New Member

I am applying for my permit in PA. My wife told me outright that she does not want me to carry everywhere we go. I want to bring her around to the idea of being more comfortable around guns by taking her to the range to shoot. Does anyone else have some helpful suggestions that may / have worked that made a reluctant spouse more comfortable with the idea of cc?

13. AlexMartz

AlexMartz New Member

Maybe they feel awkward having a firearm in public, don't want the responsibility, or just don't remember to grab their gun before they leave the house!

14. RockoutwithmyGlockout

Some spouses aren't as supportive as others. Have you taken her to the range? Has she inspected your unloaded firearm?
    She doesn't have to love it, just understand that it's something you're passionate about and want to take responsibility for your family's safety. If she still feels uncomfortable tell her then maybe you'll start OC... Lol. I got nothing after that.

15. kris40

kris40 New Member

When my wife and I got together so was totally anti gun. She quickly learned ( before we got married) that I wasn't giving up my guns. Now I've sold one here and there for bill sake but ill never be gunless. Now days she wants to learn to shoot. After that ill buy her a glock of her own. Her pass her the 23 and get me a 21. ; )

16. RockoutwithmyGlockout

That's Awesome that she has come a long way. My wife has been supportive, I actually got into firearms after being married. I've hinted at let's go pick one out for you, but she hasn't made that jump just yet. I don't want to push too hard, but she'll shoot any one of mine. (She's a fine shooter I might add)

17. kris40

kris40 New Member

When I met my wife she had never fired a gun or ride a bike. Now she wants to go to the range and have her own Harley. Yeah. I LOVE THIS WOMAN!!!

18. lapper13

lapper13 New Member

my fiancé didn't see the need for edc UNTIL we were in the city and she felt uncomfortable in a situation. she asked, "are you carrying?" when I answered yes, she said "good!"

She learned the value of taking responsibility for one's own safety that day and her entire attitude has changed since then. We actually split the cost of my recent Glock 19 purchase because it's for "our protection."

I'm taking her to the range because she wants to learn how to use it. I pointed out the value of her knowing how to use it if I'm not home or if someone takes me down.

I come from a cop family and guns were a part of life. We were taught their value and how to safely use them. She has no background with guns, so I wasn't surprised of her fear of them. The more we've talked about their value in keeping us and our future family protected, the more comfortable she feels about and around them.

Bottom line is the bad guys will always have guns and the element of surprise as their advantage. If we responsibly arm ourselves and raise our awareness of our surroundings, the playing field is leveled a bit. If none of this helps convince her of the value of edc, let her know average police response time is around 5 minutes. That's a long god damned time to wait for help when TSHTF

19. Mancinoman

Mancinoman New Member

Thank you all for the ideas. She said she is open to going to the range to shoot which is a plus on many levels. Then just take it from there.

20. customdeluxe

customdeluxe New Member

I guess I'm the category of NOT ABLE to carry at work being that I work at an international airport and go through security screening every day.