Top reasons citizens do not carry handguns

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by kxyx86, Jun 15, 2012.

1. kxyx86

kxyx86 New Member

As a police officer I am able to see who has a gun permit when conducting a traffic stop. Here is a surprising stat. I would guess that upwards of 90% of the people I pull over that have carry permits do not have their weapon. I encourage carrying at all times. What do feel are the main reasons people do not carry despite having a permit?

2. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Kxyx, If you would like as an LEO we have a special subforum for our LEO's and Military, If you would like, send a PM to HAVASU and he will set you up to be a part of it, And Thank you so much for your service!!

3. william488

william488 New Member

for me, I cannot carry to work, part of my contract I signed, that includes having a firearm on work property. Most of my traveling is done to and from work. When not working, I carry all the time.

4. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

They think they can predict when they will need to carry.

5. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

As for your question, I have a permit and couldn't imagine going anywhere legal without my weapon anymore, but perhaps some people just forget or thought they wanted to carry and something has discouraged them from doing so. I for one though will always carry now.

6. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I'd just be guessing, 'cause I really have no idea. Perhaps a lack of self confidence, or spousal disapproval?

It's a good question. Have you ever asked any of them why they're not under arms?

7. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

1. In a rush
    2. Work some place where guns are prohibited
    3. Wearing clothes that day that don't cover well.
    4. Have the gun/CCW just for bragging
    5. Traveling to a non-recip state
    6. Lazy
    7. Stupid
    8. Just forgot to put it on.
    9. Some people just shoot off all their ammo at the range and haven't gotten around to replacing. (Which could really also fall under #7)
    10. Thinking that they're safe just going around the corner to the 7-11.

8. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I think it is just a convenience issue. It is not convenient to holster up and hide a weapon all day. You have to be aware of every move you make. You have to remind your self" hay there is one in the chamber." it is a huge responsibility issue that is simply inconvenient. IMO.

9. kxyx86

kxyx86 New Member

The usual response is " I use to carry it more often". I think the main reason is people become complacent (nothing has happened where I needed it so I quit carrying . I patrol in a "good,safe city" which has plenty of thugs, drug addicts, sex offenders , and social misfits who live on people's complacency.

10. kxyx86

kxyx86 New Member

That is certainly one reason

11. kxyx86

kxyx86 New Member

That's the truth! I have even caught myself thinking that.

12. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

Kyxy as a police officer how do you feel about OC. I'm not trying to take this thread of the OP. just curious as to your view on it.

13. runman

runman New Member

Because it takes so long to shown up in the mail in NV!!! - kidding. +1 on the can't carry to work.

14. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I'd never thought about it, but that seems to fit with human nature. At some point in time they were concerned enough to take training, invest in a firearm, even practice a bit. But whatever prompted them, or scared them to begin with, has faded, & they don't feel they are in as much danger. And carrying a weapon doesn't feel natural to them. Funny stuff, but I guess it fits. Something to ponder anyway.

15. kxyx86

kxyx86 New Member

That's a good question. OC is very dangerous because I believe you could lose the element of surprise that you have with CC. There are plenty of examples of police officers being ambushed just because of the uniform. I think when you OC you place yourself in that same position.

16. kxyx86

kxyx86 New Member

I think you are right , it is human nature.

17. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

That is interesting. I guess one issue could be comfort. It took me several days to find that sweet spot that was comfortable sitting, standing, driving, etc. Some people may not find it comfortable. Others may have that "it can't happen to me" mindset. I will admit I used to think like that until my brother was robbed at gun point several years ago. I have made it part of my routine when I get up in the morning. When my belt goes on, my gun goes on. Several places I go do not allow weapons either, but I always leave it locked in the car. I would rather have that protection on the way to and from work and then take 2 seconds to lock it in the car before I get out instead of not having it at all and end up needing it.

18. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I work on a university campus and can face some serious charges if I have my weapon in my car. I hate that more than anything. But because of that it stays home. Now when I have my CC it is ok to have it in your car but not on your person.

19. Redhairdontcare

Redhairdontcare New Member

I carry everyday my job doesn't allow it on property so I park all the way in the back and set it in my arm rest . My biggest fear is coming home and see someone broke into my house and not know if there gone with my gun or still in there waiting

20. Donn

Donn Active Member

The two biggest reasons guys I know who have CPL's but don't carry are 1) They can't afford or won't spend the money for a sidearm. And, 2) I believe they're afraid to. MHO you understand, but why would someone go thru the time, trouble and expense to get a CPL, then refuse to carry?