Glock Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Marksman today for some stress relief...as well as to practice. Hubby surprised me last week by ordering an extended slide lever lock and a competition springs kit. We got it on Friday and installed them Saturday. Work got in the way of shooting fun, but we had today off, so we packed everyone up and headed to the Marksman.

Lightening the trigger pull, it was definitely obvious to feel. Made pulling the trigger a LOT smoother. Breaking down the pistol for cleaning is MUCH easier now as well, thanks to the extended slide lever lock.

We also shot his .45 Springfield XD, and I broke down and rented a Glock 22 (Gen4) to try out.

We'll start with my review of the Gen4 G22. HATED IT. Sorry, but the stock grip on the Gen4 was horrible in the hand. I still have a red, raw patch between my thumb and pointy finger from the texture of the grip. Every time I pulled the trigger, the recoil of the pistol caused it to rub. Other than that, the power of the pistol was good, i did not mind the "explodey in the hand" feel.

Here's 3 mags worth...

This has 2 mags worth...

Ok, this is the Springfield XD .45 results...

And these are the results with my G17.

and...

My groupings are getting tighter and more consistent, but I'm still all over the place - more than I want to be. I'm still having some issue with sighting in with the sights.

My next trip out, I'm going to bring the target in to 15 feet and just figure out the best way to sight in with those dots. I do best at 25 feet by making a pyramid with the sight dots, but I'll try with the target closer and see what's the best way for me, then go 20 feet, then 25 feet.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
You say your still all over the place - more than you want to be.
I'll say "I'm Glad I wasn't the Target".
Good Shooting!!!!

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Good shooting, & good review. I like that XD .45 target, pretty sweet. Thanks for posting them.

Sounds like you could use a shooting glove, or a grip sleeve on the Gen4. I have a sleeve on mine.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
So these targets are all from 25 feet? They look great, keep up the good work! Seen a lot of people who've been shooting for decades be able to hit a target twice as big only half the time at that distance. It's good to want to improve. Analyze, don't criticize, your shots.

It's important to get a solid, comfortable, consistent grip on each individual gun you shoot. Finding a solid grip and using that exact same grip every single time you fire will help you maintain a good sight picture longer. Get a consistent grip that works for you with your G17, go at a nice and easy pace that works for you, and you will be emptying entire magazines through one hole before you even realize you're doing it.

Again, really nice work, keep it up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That poor keyboard never stood a chance. I tried sand grit Decal Grip on my 23 once. It literally sanded my hand as I shot. Got rid of it. Sounds like if I were going to get a Gen 4 I would want the rubber Decal Grip for it. Fine shooting. A keyboard or 2 legged varmint wouldn't stand a chance!

·
771 Posts
So these targets are all from 25 feet? They look great, keep up the good work! Seen a lot of people who've been shooting for decades be able to hit a target twice as big only half the time at that distance. It's good to want to improve. Analyze, don't criticize, your shots.

It's important to get a solid, comfortable, consistent grip on each individual gun you shoot. Finding a solid grip and using that exact same grip every single time you fire will help you maintain a good sight picture longer. Get a consistent grip that works for you with your G17, go at a nice and easy pace that works for you, and you will be emptying entire magazines through one hole before you even realize you're doing it.

Again, really nice work, keep it up.
That is great advise to someone wanting to improve...analyze, dont criticize...Well stated...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.