To NRA or not to NRA

Discussion in 'Second Amendment & Legal' started by biohazard2m, Apr 6, 2012.

1. biohazard2m

biohazard2m New Member

I've been considering joining the NRA for a while now and was wondering what opinions you all had. Is it good to be a member, support the second amendment and such? Or are they a little too extreme? Are there any other groups you can recommend? Thanks for any input!

2. RTPaine

RTPaine New Member

JPFO.ORG and you don't have to be Jewish to join. Makes NRA look like liberals.

GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA.
    Second Amendment Foundation

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I'm not an NRA member, I've been too disappointed in their readiness to cave in to concessions and agreements that don't live up to the Second Amendment.

4. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

that is the question. whether it is nobler in the mind to join a group that claims to support gun rights and have had some victories or suffer the yogurt flicking hippies and false truths of anti-gun people on your own and by opposing take a stand.

I am in the NRA but also strive to find other ways to support the 2nd amendment rights, as well as voting for pro-gun people to office. I wish I had more time and money to make more of a difference.

5. fls348

fls348 New Member

I concur.....

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I am and always will be a member of the NRA.

I do not support NRA's Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA), and I am disappointed by the NRA's tendency to support incumbents, but I will continue to support the NRA for what they do to protect and advance our gun rights.

My views and opinions do not necessarily reflect those of Glock Forum, its management, its owners or affiliates.

7. cvitter

cvitter New Member

I am a member but not a happy member.

While the NRA has many excellent educational programs and facilities (their HQ range is awesome), their constant fear mongering amongst the membership and incessant request for more money is despicable. No matter how much money you give them they come back for more.

The various NRA magazine have also gone downhill to the point where there is little content of interest in them anymore related to actual shooting as a sport or for self defense. If you subscribe to more than one you will find that the content of their magazine is more than 50% identical so there is little to no point.

I am torn about continuing my membership past is expiration this year...

8. Glockmasterg9

Glockmasterg9 New Member

I am a NRA member Im also a Gun Owners of America member "GOA"
    That being said I don't always agree with the NRA or the GOA. But I"ll tell you this "with out the NRA YOUR Second Amendment rights would have been screwed a long time ago". These organisations have the people, organisational skills, lawyers, lobbyist, and political clout to do things I could NEVER do on my own. I take issue with them more frequently than I would like, but at the end of the day they have the second amendments back, for better or for worse. So yes I will support them as they support and fight for the 2A. I would hate the think how many court cases would have went VERY differently with out the NRA. There not perfect, far from it but I dare you to find and organisation that's done more to protect the 2A than the NRA.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum Glockmasterg9 !!

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm an NRA Life Member since 1977, and while I don't always agree on how or why

business is handled, I do believe, as others here have professed, that they are a

means to an end...the protection of our second amendment rights. They are one of

the most powerful lobbies on Capital Hill and have the ability to affect change with

the strength of it's membership and voter base.

11. CCSir

CCSir Well-Known Member Supporter

Ohio
    I belong to the NRA, the GOA, and the SAF. All three have their strengths and weaknesses. If you believe in something then whatever you can do to help support the cause is worth it. I would hate to see what it would be like if we didn't have organizations like these to help us "keep and bare arms."

YMMV

12. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

I'm a member of the NRA. If anything else, the monthly subscription to the magazine American Rifleman is well worth the membership dues.

13. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

I'm a life member. I highly recommend supporting an organization that goes to bat for gun owners across this great nation!!

14. brannon67

brannon67 New Member

Nra

I have been a member of the NRA for many years now.:)

15. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

I am a member of the NRA and will always be one. I don't completely agree with everything the NRA stands for or supports but i am really thankful for what they do for our gun rights.

16. NRA member currently, been a member off and on for a long time now. Some of their positions, tactics and posturing just doesn't sit right with me. But they are a necessary tool needed to be our voice in our governmental process.

17. biohazard2m

biohazard2m New Member

Thanks for all the great info folks. I joined tonight. New NRA member now.

18. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

Congrats!!! Welcome and thank you for your support.

19. twag4

twag4 New Member

To NRA. They seem to compromise with eery regularity on some issues, particularly when it comes to bills that have riders (pork) attached. And the house reciprocity bill worries me that the Feds would eventually move to control conceal carry-creating typical federal red tape to get and maintain a ccl. $20 per year for me now, I dont want to pay more or go through required lib-tard appeasement training that I don't have to now- which I believe would accompany federal involvement. But they do have our best interests in mind when it comes to the right to keep and bear arms. Definitely To NRA!