Titanium Parts...

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Dewyz1100, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

I recently purchased a host of modification products to try out on my Glock Gen 2 model 23...more on these products later...

My question is regarding the options for aftermarket guide rods with springs for the slide...

Has anyone purchased and used the Arotek titanium guide rod assembly? If so, what are your thoughts on the pros and cons?

I have read all about the stainless steel and tungsten rods for sale. Both marketing and some testimonials claim they reduce recoil and muzzle flip due to the added weight of the material over the stock plastic piece...

Titanium would seem to have just as much strength and durability as the other options would, but probably be only about double the weight as the factory piece...

I purchased a stainless steel assembly for my 23... I have yet to fire it, but already I notice a big difference in how smooth the action is when cycling the slide - it feels more solid and true...

The plan is to take both rods to the range and report back with my findings...when I finally find the time...

If the stainless simply feels better, but the added weight does nothing for recoil reduction, I would be tempted to try the titanium product and save the weight...after all...lighter is better in my mind for a carry piece...Assuming one does not sacrifice reliability or accuracy in the process...

Let me know your thoughts and more importantly - experiences... Thanks!

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hello, Dewyz1100, and WELCOME to the Forum!

Please post a *HI There* in Introductions so that other Members can welcome you here as well.

3. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

Thanks for the welcoming... I welcome any information on titanium guide rods... :)

4. Absolutely please report back. I've been eyeballing the tungsten for my 27 but mmmmmm. Titanium. If I could find a woman made of carbon and titanium I would marry her.

5. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

Here is a pic of my Gen 2 model 23 showing the two widely available titanium parts - the striker and safety plunger...inside the slide are the reduced weight springs that came with those, also a set of maritime spring cups for the striker...

The stainless guide rod is shown in the pic as well...

In the lower half I have installed the heavier trigger spring, an Aro-Tek sure touch extended slide release, extended slide stop, and the ultimate Ghost 3.5lb connector...

Again, still have to take it to the range to fire it, but the action and dry fire is pretty sweet... :)

Attached Files:

6. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

Finally found a titanium ejector plunger rod for my Gen2 model 23...just waiting for it to arrive...

Still waiting to hear from someone that has used a titanium guide rod setup like Aro-Tek offers...

Anyone...Bueller...?

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Ferris is out sick...and this thread just moved to the Gunsmithing subforum.

8. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

Thanks for the relocation... Forum newbie here...

...bit the bullet and ordered Aro-Tek's titanium guide rod tube and a few Wolff springs of various weights to experiment with...

It will still be several weeks until I can hit the range, but will report back results of findings...

-Dewyz1100

9. Oddball Gunner

Oddball Gunner New Member

I'm not familiar with the titanium part you mentioned. I'm using a SS guiderod by BT Guiderods and really like it.
    There was another thread in which someone wanted to know about guiderod weights and what not and I'm reposting my reply here. I believe it'll help give you a little insight on what to expect... I hope anyway.

10. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

Thanks for your incite...

A side note - Aro-Tek just emailed me saying the titanium guide rod I ordered is no longer available... I am awaiting their response as to the availability of ANY of their titanium products...

My ultimate goal is to physically lighten the weight of my carry piece, but not at the expense of reliability or accuracy. Little grams add up to ounces...every little bit helps...

Titanium components are lighter, and arguably a stronger material than stock components.

So far I have found these replacement parts for my Glock gen2 Model 23:

Striker
    Safety Plunger
    Ejector Pin
    Ejector Rod (Plunger)
    Extended Slide Stop and Spring
    Pin set

Thought I would try out the guide rod in titanium for comparison to the Stainless Steel model I have... No dice so far...

I would appreciate any insight as to providers of any components available in titanium...

Thanks!