Glock Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and a new owner of a 17 and 43. I'm looking forward to carrying and shooting both. The 43 will be on me most of the time while the 17 wI'll mainly be used to protect the home and family. I hope to shoot the 17 a lot and maybe compete (although I have a long way to go before that happens). I want to make sure I start my new relationship with my babies the right way. Should I clean them or do anything else before the first shoot? What about ammo? Should I use something special for the break-in vs. afterwards? I've been doing all sorts of research on ammo and driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to shoot at the range and use for defense. I finally decided it would be best to go right to the other Glock owners through a post to get some consolidated and authoritive responses. I've read a lot of posts here and look forward to reading more. I've got a lot to learn. Thanks for the info and help!

·
GLOCK Certified Armorer
118 Posts
I think everyone does something a little different, but this is what I did for both of my Glocks when they were new. I DID NOT remove any of the factory lube, or did I add any. I shot the guns straight from the box with the lube Glock provided from the factory. I shot between 50-100 rounds during my first outing. After that, then I took the gun home, field stripped and cleaned and lube as normal, though I was careful to leave as much as possible any factory lube that still remained. Eventually through firing and cleaning that will all diminish.

As far as ammo, I target shoot with new factory FMJ ammo. Federal, Speer Lawman, PMC, Fiocchi. I typically use 115gr or 124gr. For defensive ammo, I like Gold Dot Hollow Points, but everyone seems to have their personal preferences. Just make sure whatever you decide on for defensive purposes works flawlessly with your guns.

Have fun shooting!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I do like to clean the factory stuff off of my Glocks when I get them. But some people don't and I've never heard of anyone having problems because of it. Personal preference. I like Frog Lube, but use whatever you like. It's a Glock, it won't be picky. For ammo - I'd recommend trying a few different brands for self defense. Range ammo, use whatever is cheap. Again, it's a Glock - it won't be picky. Be safe and enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts