Glock Forum banner

Thoughts on the Remington 870?

13K views 84 replies 27 participants last post by  glocknloaded 
#1 ·
A little back story-

I am somewhat new to the owning part of the firearm world and my first firearm was my Glock 17 I bought in march of this year, about a month or two ago I finished my Ar build making it the only other gun I own. I really had all intentions of running out and buying a G27 and still plan to in the near future but I think to well round my growing collection I am looking at buying a shotgun and more specifically a Remington 870 tactical. I know theres a lot of other well rounded shotguns out there but I hear the 870 is pretty reliable and it's at a really good price range to where I could purchase o e and not long after squeeze in my g27 :)

So to get to the point I am hoping so of you guys and gals with some experience with the 870 can chime in on your thoughts and experiences about them. If anybody has any pics of there's that would be great as well! :)

Thanks in advance for all the help just hoping to hear opinions on if I am heading in the right direction for my first shotgun. It will be primarily home defense SHTF gun with maybe some amateur skeet shooting o e I am comfortable with the system.

#4 ·
I have had a Remington 870 for the past 30 years. I have used them from quail, dove and turkey hunting to just plain target shooting and I love them. I have a 870 tactical under my bed to compliment my g22 and G36 for home defense.
Great gun, great price range and very reliable. I say YES on the Remngton 870.

Attachments

#5 ·
glock26USMC said:
We carry the Remington 870 Tactical in out patrol cars, they are an OUTSTANDING pump shotgun...... I am looking to get one for self defense, they are a great weapon
Thanks!! a friend who has a lot of LE family is the one who suggested it to me he said that a lot of Leos use them so I figured they must be good

#6 ·
Devinh2 said:
You might also want to look at the Mossberg 500!! Just a suggestion. Can't go wrong either way. Good luck.
Thanks I'll take a look

#9 ·
Yeah can't go wrong with an 870! But if you're going to skeet shoot then you won't want a tactical... You can pick up a 500 or 870 used that would be great for what you want in my opinion... I have an 11-87 that I hunt Target and home defense with. And well put nukin. Can't get better home defense than a 12gage:)

#10 ·
bfish said:
Yeah can't go wrong with an 870! But if you're going to skeet shoot then you won't want a tactical... You can pick up a 500 or 870 used that would be great for what you want in my opinion... I have an 11-87 that I hunt Target and home defense with. And well put nukin. Can't get better home defense than a 12gage:)
Just because I know nothing of shotguns what would make the tactical bad for skeet? I really liked the ghost ring sight but that may or may not help, again I am a noob to the shotgun world

#11 ·
Occasionally my local Big 5 will have a Mossburg 500 Combo package for dirt cheap. Comes with a 28" barrel a 18.5" barrel and a pistol grip that can be removed. I always buy from a local shop if I can but sometimes chain store prices are too good to pass up. Support your local gun shop.

#12 ·
novarat63 said:
Occasionally my local Big 5 will have a Mossburg 500 Combo package for dirt cheap. Comes with a 28" barrel a 18.5" barrel and a pistol grip that can be removed. I always buy from a local shop if I can but sometimes chain store prices are too good to pass up. Support your local gun shop.
Whoa I'll have to check in on that!!

#13 ·
Congratulations on your Glock and AR. The first gun I ever bought was a Mossberg 590. Since then I've owned Winchester 1200, 1300 and Remington 870's. Of all I fell in love with the 870. The action feels better to me. I also like the slide release and safety better than the 590 or 1200/1300. If you are lefty the Mossberg top tang safety may be better for you.

Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

The one on the left is an old Dallas PD 870 that I modded with; Knoxx stock w/ power pack, CAA fore end w/ Inova light, Mossberg breacher barrel and TruGlo reddot.
The other is a stock 870 Police Magnum w/ factory folder and Surefire fore end.

Attachments

#14 ·
As a former deputy we carried Remington 870's and now as a Fed we still carry Remington 870's. You can't go wrong with an 870. Here is my father-in-law's after one of my cerakote jobs on it. Trust me, the Tapco on his gun was not my idea. He should've let it alone with just the pistol grip.

#15 ·
Thanks guys amazing pics!!!

#16 ·
glocknloaded said:
Just because I know nothing of shotguns what would make the tactical bad for skeet? I really liked the ghost ring sight but that may or may not help, again I am a noob to the shotgun world
Well the tactical is just that its for tactical or defense type stuff and look cool but not so "practical" for things outside of that. The sights barrel length etc isn't good for shooting skeet it has a pistol grip etc. I'll post pics of my shotgun tomorrow and you can see what you think. Not that there is anything wrong with a tactical shotgun I would not mind owning one and they are cool but its just not all that useful.

#20 ·
There are basically 3 big name shotguns on the market that are above and beyond all else, the 870, Mossy 500 and Benelli Nova. Never shot a Benelli, but have handled one and they seem extremely well build. Between the 870 and the 500 the biggest differences are: the 9=870 can cheaply be converted to larger capacity with just and extension tube, AND safety location, on the trigger guard. The 500 has the safety on the receiver and you have to buy a new barrel on mag tube to make it higher capacity. YOu can get the 500/590 with the higher capacity set up from the factory, but than your limited if you want to use it for hunting. Beut really, it for a lot of people it comes down to safety location. Both had a ton of accessories for them.

#21 ·
I just picked up a IAC Hawk 982 which is an 870 clone. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but everything about the gun is well built as far as I can tell from inspecting it and at $200 NIB the price was too low to pass on (for an impulse buy). I was looking to get a new, solid shotgun that I could play around with modifying it without worrying about screwing something up. The 982 is inexpensive and takes 870 accessories so it sort of hit the sweet spot.

#24 ·
cvitter said:
I just picked up a IAC Hawk 982 which is an 870 clone. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but everything about the gun is well built as far as I can tell from inspecting it and at $200 NIB the price was too low to pass on (for an impulse buy). I was looking to get a new, solid shotgun that I could play around with modifying it without worrying about screwing something up. The 982 is inexpensive and takes 870 accessories so it sort of hit the sweet spot.
Nice find man!!!

#25 ·
bfish said:
Well the tactical is just that its for tactical or defense type stuff and look cool but not so "practical" for things outside of that. The sights barrel length etc isn't good for shooting skeet it has a pistol grip etc. I'll post pics of my shotgun tomorrow and you can see what you think. Not that there is anything wrong with a tactical shotgun I would not mind owning one and they are cool but its just not all that useful.
Thanks for the explanation!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.