Glock Forum banner
101 - 120 of 176 Posts

· Premium Member
10,735 Posts
ATF Bans Braced Pistols & Turns Millions Of Americans Into Felons

· Premium Member
10,735 Posts
ATF releases new rule on pistol stabilizing braces. by Cam Edwards

On page 71 of the Final Rule released by the ATF, the agency acknowledges “inconsistencies” with previous guidance regarding stabilizing braces, but dubiously claims that this latest rule makes things clearer.

Nevertheless, the Department disagrees that any prior inconsistencies or changes by ATF make this rule arbitrary and capricious under the APA. Despite inconsistencies in ATF’s prior classifications, each classification letter referenced ATF’s practice of considering the physical design characteristics or features when looking at a “stabilizing brace” device on a firearm.
The Department acknowledges that this rule is a change in position from some of ATF’s previous classifications or positions, but the intent of this rule is to resolve prior inconsistencies and ensure consistent application of the statutory definition of “rifle” to firearms equipped with “stabilizing braces” or other rearward attachments.
Or it’s just another inconsistency from the agency; and one that goes beyond the authority granted to it by the Administrative Procedures Act. The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals recently held that the ATF violated the Act when it imposed a bump stock ban in 2019, and retroactively declaring millions of lawfully possessed firearms equipped with stabilizing braces to be presumably illegal short-barreled rifles seems like a similar overreach to me.

Reactions: 3404speed

· Premium Member
10,735 Posts

Reactions: Danzig

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,345 Posts
I keep hearing that the ATF had over 200,000 comments on the proposed brace rule. Is there a breakdown on those comments? At least as far as for or against!
Let’s say 90% we’re against the rule which is my guesstimate, are they just completely ignored by the regulatory agency & DOJ?
Why even have a comment period then?!?😤

· Premium Member
10,735 Posts
I keep hearing that the ATF had over 200,000 comments on the proposed brace rule. Is there a breakdown on those comments? At least as far as for or against!
Let’s say 90% we’re against the rule which is my guesstimate, are they just completely ignored by the regulatory agency & DOJ?
The stassi was supposed to reply to the comments,I know I never heard a reply to my comment.

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,345 Posts
The stassi was supposed to reply to the comments,I know I never heard a reply to my comment.
I heard they’re supposed to respond to every comment. Well I never got any follow ups on any of my comments. I’ve commented on several issues in the past.
I specifically recall commenting on the Bump stock proposals and the braces.

· Premium Member
10,735 Posts
So what about having one with a bare buffer tube?
Any pistol with a length of pull that is consistent with that of what would be found in a rifle would be considered an SBR. Any adjustable attachments, such as a multi-position buffer tube, would also automatically make the pistol an SBR. If the shooter places an optic on their firearm that requires an eye relief that is consistent with what’s used on a rifle, such as a scope, then that gun will also be considered a short barreled rifle. If a firearm has the surface area to be fired from the shoulder, such as a firearm equipped with a nonadjustable buffer tube, then that will be considered an SBR, basically making every AR-15 pistol and SBR.

“Whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component, or other rearward attachment that is necessary for the cycle of operations,” the document reads.
I think the answer to that would be a NO or put into stassi speak, it means what ever we want it to mean.

Reactions: 202 and Danzig

· Premium Member
10,735 Posts
292,000 comments total,20,000 against braces according to WGL at about 10:05 time frame.

• Helpful

· Premium Member
10,735 Posts
This so far is the best discussion on the subject.

101 - 120 of 176 Posts