Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a new 42 and had a couple of ejection stovepipes (where the empty case didn't make it out of the slide, got jammed sideways in the ejection port) It has the 03 magazines and the latest updated parts in it.

Took it back home, slopped it with oil, then cycled the slide by hand about 400 times and noticed it felt like a bit looser, definitely easier to rack than right out of the box. Went back to the range yesterday and it ran fine, no problems at all. Now I'm thinking a lot of the same ejection problems I've read about online, might be caused by the new recoil spring being 'brand new tight' and just needing to break-in a bit. Maybe the factory might ship them just a bit over-tensioned, so when they do finally settle in, they will be the correct tension. The lower recoil of the .380 round, along with a new recoil spring assembly, might cause the slide to short-cycle just a bit, and the empty case doesn't even get back far enough to hit the ejector and be thrown out. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, high grip like the photo. I think maybe the shorter grip is a factor for me, I might try the Pearce pinky extensions and see if it still has issues.

This is the first Glock I've ever owned that has given me any trouble. Really want to make it work, it's a good size and weight for carry.

·
Low speed High drag
2,960 Posts
Yep, high grip like the photo. I think maybe the shorter grip is a factor for me, I might try the Pearce pinky extensions and see if it still has issues.

This is the first Glock I've ever owned that has given me any trouble. Really want to make it work, it's a good size and weight for carry.
Keep shooting it. Find hot ammo and just run the sh*t outta it. I carry my 42 daily and love it and shoot it weekly. The 42 can be finicky but once broken in its great!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hold a Glock like you are mad at it, and it's trying to get away. Take it apart and wipe all the oil off. They require very little, just in the right place.

Good Luck.
Font Audio equipment Tool Musical instrument accessory Office supplies

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have a brand new 42 and same problem. I’m gripping it for all I am worth but it stovepipes every other round.
Do you have a full grip? ALL your fingers wrapped around the grip?
Glock and several other manufacturers thought it a good idea to drop the pinky finger. That finger is an anchor point for the body. Some can overcome it, some can't. I'm in the group that can't.
I have a G26 that is a safe queen because of it. I got a sleeve and put it on a G19 mag, and it does remarkably better for me, but it still lives in the safe, for other reasons.
The OP said it helped him a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have a full grip? ALL your fingers wrapped around the grip?
Glock and several other manufacturers thought it a good idea to drop the pinky finger. That finger is an anchor point for the body. Some can overcome it, some can't. I'm in the group that can't.
I have a G26 that is a safe queen because of it. I got a sleeve and put it on a G19 mag, and it does remarkably better for me, but it still lives in the safe, for other reasons.
The OP said it helped him a lot.
Yes. With extended mag I have a full grip. Maybe needs a break in period?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Yes. With extended mag I have a full grip. Maybe needs a break in period?
Not usually, but some seem to do best with one. The "Break In" is usually the loose nut pulling the trigger.
See how it does. I take a hand full of targets, and a few mage, along with a case of ammo to the range and run a new gun like a rented mule (after taking it down and oiling it properly), by about round 800-900 I really start to pay attention to the sight picture and making sure I hit exactly where I want to, or at least know exactly where the gun will hit.
I will vary a bit depending, but toward the end, be it 100, 200, 50, or what ever makes you comfortable, run your chosen SD ammo, and make sure the pistol likes it. Some don't like different shaped HP. Load from 1 round till full at different counts and make sure it works every time, no matter what. Then it is ready to ride along on a daily adventure.
That is a pricy recommendation these days, and you can do what you want with it, but for me, it is worth the investment, and I have had 2 guns break in the 400-600 round count over the years, and one in well under that. the two were taken care of without question by the manufacturer, the third, we won't get in to here.

Reactions: Joezilla

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Shoots fine with the extended mag to hold onto. The slide doesn’t stay open after the last round, however. Still my fault?
Could be. Could be the mag too. Does it do the same with different magazines?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My bad. My thumb was hitting the slide stop. Works great now.
It is usually the simplest of remedies, as long as we look at it correctly.
Wood Tints and shades Font Audio equipment Electric blue

Happy Shooting.

Reactions: SJ 40

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recently bought a new 42 and had a couple of ejection stovepipes (where the empty case didn't make it out of the slide, got jammed sideways in the ejection port) It has the 03 magazines and the latest updated parts in it.

Took it back home, slopped it with oil, then cycled the slide by hand about 400 times and noticed it felt like a bit looser, definitely easier to rack than right out of the box. Went back to the range yesterday and it ran fine, no problems at all. Now I'm thinking a lot of the same ejection problems I've read about online, might be caused by the new recoil spring being 'brand new tight' and just needing to break-in a bit. Maybe the factory might ship them just a bit over-tensioned, so when they do finally settle in, they will be the correct tension. The lower recoil of the .380 round, along with a new recoil spring assembly, might cause the slide to short-cycle just a bit, and the empty case doesn't even get back far enough to hit the ejector and be thrown out. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this.

Thoughts?
You are correct. I used to have a 42 and researched the issue deeply. The issue is SAMMI specs for .380acp is lower pressures than NATO specs. The 42 was designed for NATO. SAMMI specs actually allow manufacturers to be anywhere between SAMMI and NATO pressures even if mixed in the same box. It's an oddball compared to other caliber specs, I forgot the reasoning for it, but it was somewhat political. There is no SAMMI .380+P, but unofficially, the +P will be consistent with NATO pressures.
You can decide to run +P for SD and not worry about the stovepipes at the range when it happens. Break in your recoil spring like you did is an option. Buying a lighter recoil spring assembly is another option.
I would buy a lighter RSA so that I can be reliable with more ammo. FWIW, Inceptor ARX were my favorite rounds in that gun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You are correct. I used to have a 42 and researched the issue deeply. The issue is SAMMI specs for .380acp is lower pressures than NATO specs. The 42 was designed for NATO. SAMMI specs actually allow manufacturers to be anywhere between SAMMI and NATO pressures even if mixed in the same box. It's an oddball compared to other caliber specs, I forgot the reasoning for it, but it was somewhat political. There is no SAMMI .380+P, but unofficially, the +P will be consistent with NATO pressures.
You can decide to run +P for SD and not worry about the stovepipes at the range when it happens. Break in your recoil spring like you did is an option. Buying a lighter recoil spring assembly is another option.
I would buy a lighter RSA so that I can be reliable with more ammo. FWIW, Inceptor ARX were my favorite rounds in that gun.
Where do you get a lighter RSA for the 42? Glock or aftermarket? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts