Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any problems with Sellier & Bellot target ammo, or have first hand knowledge of problems?
I'm looking to buy at least 5,000 rounds of a reliable, quality 9mm brass-cased NEW ammo round. I don't do reloads - factory-new only. Up to now, I've used PMC Bronze 115gr and Blazer Brass 115gr with perfect firing every time. I don't want any FTF's, so I'll pay more to get reliability.
Looking at AmmoSeek.com, I see the best possible price here: https://www.trueshotgunclub.com/sel...ntLink&utm_medium=56335&utm_campaign=74383-NA
15.9 cents per round is a pretty good price - but I've never shot that brand. Hoping for thumbs up or thumbs down from you guys.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Only issue I've had was low velocity with their 158 fmj 9mm stuff. No functional problem, but low velocity. I'll have to look it up, but it was pretty slow iirc. Beyond that, never had any problems or disappointments with any of their stuff.

{edit - my bad. The slow 158-grain 9mm fmj wasn't S&B, it was Fiocchi. No problems or complaints with S&B stuff at all.}

Reactions: cazbass

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
If you don't reload, S&B is good stuff at a good price. It tends to run warm (over 1,250 fps).

Fiocchi 158 grain 9mm is subsonic. It's supposed to be less than 1,000 fps per second to run suppressed and in 9mm carbines. Nothing wrong with Fiocchi ammo either. Most any well known commercial brand will run well. I would stay away from Armscor, Magtech, Aguila, Wolf, Bear, ZVS, UltraMax, BVAC and Tula. The difference in price is not worth the problems I see with students in training. Cheaper than Dirt is showing 1K of S&B for $200.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...9&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=444635

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Sounds like it might be just fine for me. I’ll be shopping for either 115gr or 124gr, not sure which yet. So far ALL my practice ammo has been 115gr.
As long as it goes bang with no feeding issues I’m a happy camper.

Reactions: Southlake

·
Registered
165 Posts
Only issue I've had was low velocity with their 158 fmj 9mm stuff. No functional problem, but low velocity. I'll have to look it up, but it was pretty slow iirc. Beyond that, never had any problems or disappointments with any of their stuff.

{edit - my bad. The slow 158-grain 9mm fmj wasn't S&B, it was Fiocchi. No problems or complaints with S&B stuff at all.}
One chonograph test in a reply here

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/sellier-bellot-ammo.533438/

1032 - 1184 fps

PS anybody pronounce the name correctly?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
34,760 Posts
From the S&B website: "Louis Sellier, a French merchant, received the privilege to manufacture percussion caps for infantry firearms in its newly founded factory in Prague from Franz I., the Emperor of Austria. Shortly afterwards he invited his countryman, Jean Maria Nicolaus Bellot, to join the company. Under his leadership the manufacture quickly gained momentum and Sellier & Bellot products soon established themselves on both European and overseas markets."

So French pronunciation as I know it would be SellYay and Bellow. I'll keep the "&" as and since I'm an ugly American.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts

Just to clarify a bit on this particular round...

The Fiocchi 158 grain is made for suppressed machine pistols (think Uzi). Low recoil and quiet. It’s a great choice for anyone shooting suppressed, as the lower velocity will help quiet the round.

Also, as a heavy, FMJ FN round, it would be a great woods carry round as it will hit hard and penetrate deep at close quarters.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Anyone here have any problems with Sellier & Bellot target ammo, or have first hand knowledge of problems?
I'm looking to buy at least 5,000 rounds of a reliable, quality 9mm brass-cased NEW ammo round. I don't do reloads - factory-new only. Up to now, I've used PMC Bronze 115gr and Blazer Brass 115gr with perfect firing every time. I don't want any FTF's, so I'll pay more to get reliability.
Looking at AmmoSeek.com, I see the best possible price here: https://www.trueshotgunclub.com/sel...ntLink&utm_medium=56335&utm_campaign=74383-NA
15.9 cents per round is a pretty good price - but I've never shot that brand. Hoping for thumbs up or thumbs down from you guys.
S&B is exellent ammo. Great price too!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
From the S&B website: "Louis Sellier, a French merchant, received the privilege to manufacture percussion caps for infantry firearms in its newly founded factory in Prague from Franz I., the Emperor of Austria. Shortly afterwards he invited his countryman, Jean Maria Nicolaus Bellot, to join the company. Under his leadership the manufacture quickly gained momentum and Sellier & Bellot products soon established themselves on both European and overseas markets."

So French pronunciation as I know it would be SellYay and Bellow. I'll keep the "&" as and since I'm an ugly American.
I pronounce the company “Es in Bee” as in S&B. LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
S&B is exellent ammo. Great price too!
Thanks for chiming in, Buzz. The praise for S&B seems to be unanimous. Looks like I'll be ordering a roomful of pew-pew today.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just saw the first "thumbs down" for S&B ammo on one of the YouTube channels I follow, but it concerns a specific box... see below at 24:58...

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
Whoever that is, he is full of crap, not the ammo. That is not how to shoot a hand gun one handed. You shoot one handed exactly the same stance, grip and trigger control and sight picture as normal, except pull your left/right hand straight back to your chest. You probably heard of this guy, Rob Leatham.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Just saw the first "thumbs down" for S&B ammo on one of the YouTube channels I follow, but it concerns a specific box... see below at 24:58...

I didn't watch the whole video, but went to the 24:58 mark you referenced, where he says this about S&B stuff:
"...it's absolutely dog**** ammunition. But I buy it because out of 50 rounds I'm going to get two or three failures to fire, so I'm getting my real, full-power malfunction reps."

Either he's exaggerating or there's something wrong with his gun. I can't think of a single malfunction with S&B ammo in either pistol or rifle. I can't swear that there hasn't been one at some time or other, but it's certainly not a common thing at all. They do use harder primers than most american mfrs do, but that's common among european ammo makers.

So either he got hold of a flukish bad batch, or his gun is malfunctioning in some way. S&B, Fiocchi, WW/USA, American Eagle, even Blazer and probably several others have been fine for me for a long time.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
And notice he does not explain what the cause of failure was.... S&B is good stuff. Their primers not so much. Not that they don't work, they do, but the edges are very square compared to CCI primers, and they are a little tougher to seat, and I usually run a 6lb firing pin spring because they are a bit harder. BUT, the are only $18 per thousand when they go on sale!

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is “hard” or “soft” about a primer? The actual metal in the middle...??? Do you mean the difference between steel and a marshmallow?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts