Thoughts BEFORE & AFTER taking a CCW class

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by SIR, Jun 14, 2012.

1. SIR

SIR New Member

I recommend to anyone that wants to carry, to take a class. It not only benefit you, but everyone else around you. Even if you have taken a hunter safety course, etc.

2. SIR

SIR New Member

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Is this an advertisement or a discussion or what???

4. SIR

SIR New Member

Discussion, of course. :rolleyes:

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

So what are your thoughts before and after taking a CCW course?

6. SIR

SIR New Member

I didn't know that with a CCW, you can carry:

-A handgun, or multiple handguns :p
    -Taser
    -Baton
    -Knife (more than 3") *except for switchblades, butterfly knives

7. SIR

SIR New Member

I've learn a lot. The 4 hours course wasn't bad at all. I have a brother in law who has his CCW, but didn't bother to take a course because he has his hunter safety. He's clueless to the WI laws on CCW. The only good thing is, he's not carrying at the moment. :p

8. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Here in AZ you only need to be 21 to conceal anything designed for lethal use, except a pocket knife.

18 to conceal pepper spray, batons, tasers, stun guns, etc...

18 to open carry firearms.

I haven't taken a CCW course as I am only 18. I believe it is advisable to get training before carrying a gun. I had a police friend teach me everything from weapons retention, marksmanship, to cleaning and maintenance...

9. SIR

SIR New Member

Here in WI, you can only carry pepper spray if you're 18+. We had this discussion with the instructor. All knives have to be 3" or less. To be able to carry a baton, taser, stun gun, knives more than 3" or handgun, you have to be 21+ and have a permit. We can open carry (with a permit, of course) but who'd want to do that?

A lot of questions I see on this site can be answer by taking a CCW class. I'm glad I took one, to clear things up and have more knowledge. Every state is different and the laws are also different.

10. trouble0214

trouble0214 New Member

Yes the ccw class is a must have if u plan on carrying there is a thin line with what u can and cant do when carrying and you need the class i think its a mandatory thing if u carry

11. SIR

SIR New Member

You sir, are absolutely correct.

12. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

While I personally believe the government should have no say in requiring training to own or carry a firearm... For the love of all things living get trained!!! Take a class because it is the responsible thing to do not because it is required. Learn from everything you can. Please don't be the ignorant guy who bought some gun at Walmart that doesn't even know the name of the gun or what ammo is takes... know your weapon, know the laws surrounding your right to bear arms... Please...

This coming from a guy in AZ where you don't need a permit... These classes only help.

13. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Here in nm it is required to show some form of formal training to get a ccw. I went through the 15 hr class and had a lot of fun. There were people in there that thought they knew everything and people that had never fired a weapon before so the course was pretty well diversified. There was a lot of good information and a lot of "common" sense things that everyone SHOULD know already but we know how that goes... Oh and you can't forget the awesome videos the govt requires you watch that were made in 1942 lol. Overall I would highly recommend a course designed for ccw for anyone that wants to carry!

14. SIR

SIR New Member

Agreed. It can only help you to not make the simplest mistakes.

15. SIR

SIR New Member

I'm glad you took the time to take a course. Yeah, it was just like that at the class I took. There was a lot of people that you wouldn't think would take such a class, which is pretty cool. Yeah, the vid was really dry. Lol. Good thing our class was only 4 hours. Pretty soon and hopefully Minnesota would recognize Wisconsin's CCW. I don't see why not because Michigan and the other local states has already.