Thoughts about police trade-ins

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by pancakestud, Jul 4, 2012.

1. pancakestud

pancakestud New Member

Just curious what yalls opinions are about buying police trade-in glocks? I know a local store that sells tons of them? I know it depends on condition too. Some officers are rough with their firearms. Just wanted some thoughts

2. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

i have bought one and it ran just as good as the one i was issued and the ones i have bought new... it's kinda hard to screw up a glock

3. Thesarge

Thesarge "The Sarge"

Usually they are a good deal. Hate to say it but having been in the business, most LEO's guns are carried a lot and shot only for mandatory qualifications and training. So most trade ins will show lots of wear on the outside and little inside. There are exceptions as some departments and individual officers shoot and train a lot. With in a group of trade ins you might even find a like new, unissued one. Closely inspecting the pistol before buying is a must. Bill

4. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

This right here. Most are carried but only shot for yearly qualifications. I'm proud to say mine was not that case. Mine was shot almost weekly.

5. I think they're a pretty good "bang for the buck" since as has been said, most are shot very little and carried quite a bit. They're Armorer kept so you know they'll function and also likes been said, it's hard to screw up a Glock. If you can just inspect the gun before you buy and try to pick one with the best finish.

6. To me it's all about value. How much do they cost versus an alternative? For example, GT Distrubutors sells LEO trade G22 Gen 3's with 3 mags for $329, and anyone can buy them.
    http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=UG-GLOCK22G3

If you're looking at new Glocks at $500+, and used for over $400, I'd probably buy if I was wanting a G22. Personally, I prefer a G23 size pistol but have been kicking around the idea of a project gun that I could duracoat and dress out. If I were to do that, I'd likely buy one of these, clean it really good, replace all internal springs and trigger with new Glock factory parts, and paint it up.

7. pancakestud

pancakestud New Member

That's very similar to the price I found. It was at adventure outdoors. G22 with one mag 299.99. Figured it was decent price

8. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

So you're here in GA then? I bought my last G23 from AO.

I then took it over the Glock factory and had them go through it. They replaced all of the internals and cleaned it for free. You just have to go up to the gate and tell security you need to see an armorer. It's best to avoid lunch time and get there before 4PM. Being able to do that takes any risk out of the equation.

9. elroyyboy

elroyyboy Ruthless Overlord

If I couldn't buy Blue label I'd be all over LE trade ins. At least you'd know it hadn't belonged to some kid doing YouTube mods and selling it because it wouldn't run anymore.

10. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you get an individually issued gun, you could end up with a sweetheart. Then you could end up with a range gun.

Beware of any DOC guns. State and county DOC's are notorious for holding on to their weapons for years. Almost twice as long as street depts. There are very few individually issued side arms in DOC, except for maybe Central Trans and Administrators. Most DOC guns are issued as needed from the armory. When the range guns get run ragged they are recycled through the prisons. My prison's guns now show a lot of use on them. Tower weapons are not even allowed to be cleaned except by a dept. armorer, so you can figure out what they look like by cleaning time.

When it gets to the point your tower weapons start looking like they were ridden hard and put up wet, you know those bad boys have had a lot of ammo through those pipes.

Most gov't. weapons are stamped, so stay away from anything stamped with a DOC or BOP on it unless its really a cheap price. Then check for cracks and expect to replace all your springs.

11. pancakestud

pancakestud New Member

Oh yes. Been there many of times. And I had no idea they would do that there at the glock plant, and for free ??? I will def be doing this if I buy the trade in

12. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Yup, they take walk-ins all the time. 6000 Highlands Pkwy, between South Cobb Drive and the E/W connector. Best if you can go between 9-11AM and 1-4 PM M-F of course. I think you can go during lunch hour, but it's just better to avoid it because at least half of the armorers will be at lunch.

You pull up to the gate, tell the guard why you're there, they have you park and step into the security building where they issue a vistor's badge, clear your gun and take down your driver's license info and serial number. Then they'll direct you to parking and where to go. They call the armorers and one meets you at the door. With a used gun, plan on 30-45 minutes. It could go to an hour if they're busy. The last time I was there, I had 5 other people ahead of me!