Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where this would go but the article has very little info. My Sources say Detroit has gone to M&P 40's instead of the Glocks they have carried. I also heard that some of their Officers still carry Glocks. Anybody have more info on this please post. Trying to figure out how this could happen.
http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/articles/5815779-Hug-triggers-Detroit-officers-gun-kills-woman/

Associated Press

DETROIT — A woman celebrating the weekend before her 25th birthday was fatally shot Sunday when she hugged an off-duty police officer while dancing at a party, causing the officer's service weapon to fire, according to police and her mother.
Adaisha Miller would have turned 25 on Monday, according to her mother, Yolanda McNair.
The shooting happened at an outdoor social gathering about 12:30 a.m., said police Sgt. Eren Stephens. It happened on the city's west side.
According to Stephens, the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.
Stephens said the Detroit officer will remain on administrative duties while authorities investigate the shooting and report their findings to the Wayne County prosecutor. The officer's name was not released.
"For this to happen to her, whether they want to call it freak accident or mistake in judgment, it should have never happened to my child, and there's nothing I can do to get her back," McNair told WDIV-TV.
McNair said her daughter was out to mark her upcoming birthday.
"All she wanted to do was enjoy the weekend for her birthday," the mother said. "She had every right to enjoy turning 25 and look beyond that."

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I read about this as well. DPD did switch to S&W although I am not sure how long ago.

What doesn't make sense to me is how does this girl, while supposedly hugging the officer, get shot in the lung and heart by a gun holstered along the waistband?

Something doesn't seem right here.

Obviously, all the facts are not available, but it does make me wonder what really happened.

Edit: reports are now that they were dancing.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,430 Posts
GunnerGSP said:
Godbee said 99.9 percent of times, a gun won't go off without something on the trigger.

I'm calling BS. The gun just went off without the trigger being touched? While dancing in a conga line? The only way I see it happening is if the officer had the pistol tucked in his waistband without a holster and the girl inadvertently pulled the trigger while grabbing his side.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
DPD Chief of Police in press conf...

"...there some manipulation along the officer's waistline that he did not control..."

Edit: "...there *was* some manipulation..."

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Looks like they should have went with the Springfield Armory XD to me. The grip safety might have prevented this.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

THank you for Posting! Sounds like he had it in a Neoprene holster and I can see how the pistol went off. Still not sure how it shot her in the chest unless it was a ricochet shot. And he confirms it was a DPD Issue Pistol.

Hopefully we get the complete report when it is done as this is Important training for ALL CCW Holders!

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
THank you for Posting! Sounds like he had it in a Neoprene holster and I can see how the pistol went off. Still not sure how it shot her in the chest unless it was a ricochet shot. And he confirms it was a DPD Issue Pistol.

Hopefully we get the complete report when it is done as this is Important training for ALL CCW Holders!
Yep, I have heard of a lot of departments switching to M&Ps including my local department for the fact that they have a magazine safety. I talked to a local LEO, and he said that this feature has saved a few local officers because the BG had managed to wrench their gun from them in a tussle. He said they were not able to get the gun back, but were able to depress the mag release rendering the gun useless. He did mention that they have have way more problems out of the M&Ps than with the Glocks though. Maybe Glock should offer a pistol with a mag safety so the gun won't fire without a magazine. Just that option would give departments that option, and they would have a much more reliable pistol.

·
771 Posts
Weapon Retention Issue?

DPD Chief of Police in press conf...

"...there some manipulation along the officer's waistline that he did not control..."
Sounds like the officer may have been distracted by the ..'manipulation along the officer's waistline'...Tragic results for something that seems to have been preventable....

·
Registered
77 Posts
The only conclusion I can come up with, is when she went to give him a hug from behind, she pushed the butt of the gun so far forward the gun rotated in the "soft" holster pointing the barrel in her direction, which leaves the trigger, which was either pressed by the woman, or from the torque on the holster rotating?

·
Hail Commifornia
6,370 Posts
This is really weird. I liked Happy's idea of a shoulder holster but in the waistband it doesn't seem highly probable....

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
series11 said:
This is really weird. I liked Happy's idea of a shoulder holster but in the waistband it doesn't seem highly probable....
According to the Chief, the holster was on the hip.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,430 Posts
The only thing concrete in this story is the lawsuits coming down against the Police dept. and Smith&Wesson.

·
Registered
479 Posts
iShoot said:
The only conclusion I can come up with, is when she went to give him a hug from behind, she pushed the butt of the gun so far forward the gun rotated in the "soft" holster pointing the barrel in her direction, which leaves the trigger, which was either pressed by the woman, or from the torque on the holster rotating?
This is how I imagine it might've happened as well. The gun essentially is upside-down pointing back up at her lungs and heart.

·
Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!
563 Posts
My local department uses m&p 45. But they must be in a locking hard leather holster if Im not mistaking .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts