Test of Manhood- Right of Passage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Shooter, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Most cultures have test of manhood, vision quests, putting your hand in a mitt full of ants, lifting heavy stones,

I think as Americans turning 18 should not be enough, so what should our test of manhood be?

I'm thinking we should make all 18 year old men (and women if interested, I'm all for equality) fight monkeys.

Now before you say no, hear me out.

Monkeys don't like you, they told me so themselves and think that the only way to prove you're a man is to fight them mano-a-monkeyo.

If you got any better ideas I would like to hear them.

2. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Lmao :D , watching this would be funny.

3. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

I was always for 1 year of military service. I never served but thought this when I was young and would have joined if they had a 1 yr program.

That being said - I can't think of anything funnier than fighting a monkey!! :)

4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Monkeys or Apes? Because most 18 year olds would get their ass handed to them by a chimp.

We'd have to do at least 2 years, more for certain occupations, because of the amount of money spent on initial training. This country would be completely different if we did this and it would be sooooo much better, I think. Lower crime, less reliance on welfare, more personal responsibility. Really, we should follow the example of the Swiss. :)

5. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

That's why I joined the Navy reserve. Only two years active duty. I thought that if I liked it, I'd re-up in the regular Navy. I hated it at the time and got out after the deuce.

Forty years later, I visit www.navy.mil every day just to view the photo gallery. In hindsight, getting out of the Navy was my first big mistake in my life. I'd have been collecting a pension now for over 20 years if I stayed and I still haven't been able to afford to go visit any of the places I got to see in those two short years.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  6. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

I always figured money is the case. How many years do the Swiss and Israelis have to do?

7. oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick New Member

I think Austins got a great idea. Think about it, it just may be a way to lower the un-employment rate. I can see a whole industry, raising Right Of Passage monkeys, I can see a board to oversee the training of the ROP monkeys, I can see a new cable channel thats airs the ROP actual event, I can see a whole industry that make safety equipment for the contest and I can see merchandise that proclaims that "I beat my monkey" proudly on t-shirts, jackets, license plates...you get the idea.

Just think of all the people that could be employed.

8. Shooter

It would teach them all a little humility.

Smart and it further reinforces my point.

Anyone want to take the lead on this one?

9. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

From what I've read, the two are very different. Swiss citizens, unless called up, that are not part of the permanent army only serve about 300 days for training...in their life! They remain in different parts of the reserve, which changes at different ages, until they turn 50 for enlisted and 55 for officers. So they're basically in for life. Any male that's exempted for something other than a disability pays an extra 3% income tax until age 30!

In Israel, both men and women are conscripted. Men all serve 3 years and women serve 2 or 3 depending on specialty. There are religious exemptions as well as physical and psychological.

I joined the Navy Reserve as well, with no intention of going AD afterward as I'd just gotten hired by the county. I ended up liking it so much that I went AD but all told still only served 2 years 9 days before being medically retired. I have often missed it and wish things had gone differently.

I like! I don't know if we'd need to train them, especially chimps...all we have to do is get them mad before turning them loose. And safety equipment? Real men don't need safety equipment to beat their monkey! :D

I agree on both counts!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. Shooter

I looked into chimps, costs prohibitive unless someone has a rich uncle who agrees.

Anyone?

11. Shooter

I have a lot of cactus around here.

I'm now thinking of utilizing it to come up with an event called "The Cactus Roll".