Teflon coated bullets

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by rv19, Mar 23, 2012.

1. rv19

rv19 New Member

Guys what's your opinion about teflon coated bullets? I had my bullets reloaded in our local gunshop and they suggested that I go for teflon coated instead of ordinary lead since I will be using it on glock. I understand that lead is harmful to our glock's barrel so is this a good alternative for my glock?

2. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I understand that the problem is with un-jacketed lead. Lead under FMJ is just fine.

3. WadeP

WadeP New Member

You probably mis-understood or they were incorrect because you're unlikely to find teflon-coated bullets and there's no practical way to make them at home. They were probably talking about moly.

In the 60's and 70's a company called KTW made brass and steel cored rounds for penetrating automobile glass and car bodies. The hardened bullets wore out barrels quickly so they coated them in teflon. Those bullets also penetrated body armor so when the media go wind of it, they were dubbed "telfon-coated Cop Killer bullets". Even though the teflon coating didn't have anything to do with it, some states banned teflon coated bullets.

As you know, shooting lead bullets in a poly-rifled barrel like the Glock can quickly lead to unwanted deposits of lead in the barrel that can lead to dangerous pressures. Some type of workaround is necessary if you're reloading to save money over factory or reloaded FMJ ammo.
    1. Buy a conventionally rifled replacement barrel for $100 and shoot all the lead you want.
    2. Use moly-coated lead bullets, which are more expensive than lead but less cost than plated or FMJ. Some say it reduces leading, some say it doesn't. I've never tried but I would bet that the home-applied moly won't do anything at all.
    3. Use plated bullets. More expensive than lead but still less expensive than FMJ. This is what I do because I shoot lots though suppressors and cans and lead don't mix.
    4. Break out your wallet and only use FMJ reloads or factory ammo.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

They do make Nylon bullets now...TNJ manufactured by Herters.

Moved to correct sub forum: AMMO

5. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

The moly-coated bullets are fine. There is a video somewhere of them melting the lead, but the coating stayed intact.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  6. rv19

rv19 New Member

Thanks for all your inputs guys. I will probably stick with reloaded teflon coated bullets for my practice shooting. It's 70% cheaper than buying new FMJ.

One more thing. My local gun store told me I can reload my bullets for my glock 4 to 5 times. Is this safe?

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Depends on the condition of the cases...

sizing and trimming them helps...as does manual inspection.

8. Tape

Tape New Member

I always thought they were illegal

9. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Some states have outlawed them I believe.