Tazer question

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement & Military' started by Sarabian, May 9, 2012.

1. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

How many of you would consider carrying a tazer off duty instead of a firearm? Possible reasons would include liability, safety of the kids you have with you, or any of a kajillion different reasons.

This question is for intellectual stimulation only, so don't beat me for suggesting it. If you're a chief (and I know at least one of you are) do NOT consider this for policy. :)

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

In Pennsylvania, carrying a taser ( if not law enforcement ) is illegal.

3. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

nope. Not a chance. never. Too many ways it can fail.

4. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

Couldnt make it policy evem if I wanted to. Lol. I dont think you could count the ways somebody could screw up if caarying a taser off duty! Its just bad business.

5. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

You never want to answer lethal force with non-lethal force. Do not bring a taser, OC, a baton, etc., to a gun/knife fight. Bring a gun to every fight.

6. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I've seen a Taser fail many times but yet to see a Glock that fails!

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I've seen numerous videos (you can catch many of them on Cops and World's Scariest and similar movies) where one dart hits the target but the other doesn't, rendering it totally useless. Other videos (like the one below) show the bad guy grabbing the tazer from the cop and using it on the cop, and one I saw on TV has the bad guy yanking the wires out of his body then grabbing the tazer from the cop and it is clear that he was trying to use it to "shoot" the cops.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebNmrOyaa-Q[/ame]

And here's one where the cop tazes himself AFTER the perp was already subdued....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gt2B8sbqac[/ame]

8. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

Never. Tasers fail. Also, lethal force is justified for protection of self and others if threat of serious physical harm is present. Taser is used to subdue a subject long enough to gain physical custody...it is a submission tool. Off duty...firearm is preferred.

Although good thread for thought! :)

9. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

I agree 100%

OK My Best taser story was one time while doing a cell extraction the inmate had flooded his cell and spilled soap all over to make the floor slippery for us making the cell extraction. No Problem for us as we were trained in how to make it safe. The Lieutenant tasered the inmate and we went in and wrestled him down and put the cuffs on him. OK wasn't much af a wrestle because the taser did it's job but while we were turning the inmate to put the cuffs on him the LT was moving the taser out of the way and he accidentally hit the juice button (He claims it was accidental:rolleyes:) and we all got hit by the taser!:eek: