Tattoos and Police/Fire Dept.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by glocknloaded, May 15, 2012.

1. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

It's curious what the rules are for tattoos with Police/Fire Dept. I know all Departments will change and vary but if all the members here in one of the departments could chime in on your polices.

Iam working on changing carriers to something a little more meaningful( I have other threads started on that so I won't go into detail) and I have a lot of tattoos. I am curious of this can make me disqualified.

Thanks in advance.

2. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

Currently my dept doesn't have a policy, but no one has visible tats. I'm curious of what the response by the bosses would be if someone got one myself. I know some depts make you cover them.

3. MarinewithaGlock

MarinewithaGlock Premium Member

All of the depts I've applied with have a no visible tattoo policy or similar. One had a case by case rule depending on size, location, and what the tattoo was.

4. RES17CUE

RES17CUE New Member

That is how mine is. Nothing visible with the uniform on. If it is an issue for you they sell skin-toned cover ups. Not sure how well they work but it beats being unemployed

5. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

Sry my phone messed up and I double posted

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  6. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

My department, ( a security branch of a police department) makes you cover all visible tattoos.

7. glocknloaded

Thanks guys I don't mind covering up I my biggest obstacle would be my very small quarter sized tattoo on my neck I would look into having it removed if offered a job and wonder if like other post says I could use a small band aid or skin tone until then

8. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

A girl in my department covers her neck tattoo with a band aide. We also were mock neck shirts during the winter. But I think it is all going to very with different departments

9. glocknloaded

Thanks for the reply that reassuring. Are you with a Police Department or Fire?

I take it hers is very small as well?

10. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I am only 20 so i can't apply for PD yet but I work for the University of Kentucky Police Department in the security branch. It is a good way to get a foot in the door. When I turn 21 I will start applying for a transfer to PD. I work with the police officers everyday. So its good experience.

The dress code is the same tho. We have to follow the same rules as they do.

11. glocknloaded

Awesome good luck with your transfer and thanks for the help

12. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

Thanks man. Good luck finding a position.

13. MarinewithaGlock

I live in Lexington too and do private security here in town. I'm in the process for Lexington PD. it's a tough process especially at 21. I've been applying to departments for 2 years now and I feel good about this time around. PM me sometime.

14. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

That awesome man. Some of the guys that I work with are goo g through that process. Btw UKPD has a job open of your interested

15. MarinewithaGlock

Definitely. pm me so I can get more info from ya and do we don't get this thread too off topic lol

16. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I don't recall either the city or county fire dept having any rules regarding tattoos. The sheriff's office had a no visible tattoos rule, but hired someone with visible tattoos on both arms. People grumbled about it, but I think HR basically thought if they denied him because of the tattoos that he could sue and win. The policy didn't change, at least not while I was there.

I don't think the city PD had any rules either, but I don't remember.

No visible tattoos will generally be the rule, especially with law enforcement, but every dept is different and rules change. My SO now wears long sleeves in the Winter, which were previously only dress uniforms, and issues white shirts for Summer, which were previously only Capt & up or the Civil division that handles courthouse security and serving of papers. That's all changed.

17. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

DKPD is none on neck or hands. And supposedly they will make people that have tattoos on arms wear long sleeves year round.

18. cutlass327

cutlass327 New Member

My issue would be if they say no neck or hand tattoos, and someone who has a wedding ring tattoo instead of an actual ring comes in for a job, could that be held against them? I know at my job they do not permit jewelry for safety reasons (mechanic), and I have wondered on that because we are not allowed to have visible tattoos or piercing other than ears...

19. leoboxn

leoboxn New Member

Interesting thread cuz I am going to start police academy in Aug and it would be a shame if I went through the whole process only to find out that I can't get hired because I have my daughters name on my inner forearm...

20. leoboxn

leoboxn New Member

I suppose I assumed that as long as the tattoo isn't gang related or offensive, it shouldn't be a problem.