Target bolt action?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by xxlrg, Apr 12, 2012.

1. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

Im in the market for something chambered in. 308. Been looking at the Remmy 700 Tactical and not really sold on it because of the stock. I know I can always change it but dont really know if thats what I want. Anyone have any experience with this model or any variant of it? Or any model simular?

2. wilkenjr

wilkenjr New Member

If you are really into that rifle you should make sure you do a lot of research on it. I just recently learned that those rifles have a quiet history of being unsafe. There was a very informative dateline special on it, and even videos of snipers in the military showing how the rifle will discharge even if the trigger is not actuated. I'm not saying I'm an expert, just saying keep a real keen eye about it. Remington did develop a new trigger system for the 700 and markets both that design and the original now. If I were to purchase one of these rifles I would definitely make sure it was one with the new trigger system.

3. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

Wow. Ive been researching it for about a week now but have yet to see anything about that. Im gonna look deeper though. I had a 700 classic 17 yrs ago in. 243 and loved it. Thats the only reason I initially look in that direction. Thanks for the warning.

4. wilkenjr

wilkenjr New Member

If you have Netflix you can watch the same documentary.

5. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

A very eye opening documentary

6. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

Well I found it. Guess that one is out of the question. Any model anyone can recommend? How about the savage 10fp? Anyone?

7. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

Maybe I can step it up and not get anything synthetic? As long as it is capable of sub moa groups. Any suggestions?

8. wilkenjr

wilkenjr New Member

Sorry if I dashed any hopes you had, it's just hard to sit back and knowingly watch someone buy an unsafe gun.

9. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

On the 700s the trigger was redesigned in 82 or 83, and I'm pretty sure the 700 Tactical series were not made back then.

Check out Savage, you will not find anything at that price that can compete out of the box. The 10,11,12,16,110, 111, and 116 all offer 308s in a variety of stock styles and even some turn key packages with scope already mounted and zeroed. Make sure you get one with the accutrigger....Amazing precision rifles in a class of their own, especially for the cost.

Attached Files:

• 096.jpg
      096.jpg
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  10. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

My Departments issued sniper rilfe is the 700P setup basically like the M24. It's an amazing shooter, but for $5k it is not any better at 100yards than my Savage 10GXP package that cost about 1/10th of that.