Target ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by las4wo, Mar 15, 2012.

1. las4wo

las4wo New Member

I just recently bought a gen3 g19. I was just wondering what target ammo to use without breaking the bank or dirtying up my gun

2. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

I like to practice with either Federal or Atlanta Arms.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

If you do not want to excessively dirty up the innards, I would recommend you avoid UMC bulk ammo (yellow box).

I would also recommend (and this is my opinion and mine alone) that you similarly avoid steel-cased ammo, especially varnished steel-cased ammo, for two reasons: the steel is harder than brass or nickel, and could conceivably lead to accelerated wear on the extractor claw, and also when fired, an amount of the varnish vaporizes, contaminates the rest of the gun, then recongeals. I have had experiences trying to clear out AR-15 gas systems so contaminated with burnt varnish from steel-cased Russian ammo that it was easier to replace the gas block and gas tube. I know, rifles vs pistols, but the same effect of vaporized varnish applies regardless.

I have also been told by one other Forum Member of his experience with an aluminum case that stuck in the chamber after firing, and froze the slide. He eventually had to contact Glock for assistance in removing the stuck case. I have personally not experienced this, but relate his experience in the hopes it may help.

Now, all that being said, WELCOME TO THE FORUM, Las4wo!

If you could post a *Hi there* in the "Introductions" category, other Members will have a chance to say Hi back at ya.

Cheers!

4. Ryan92

Ryan92 New Member

I bounce between Federal or Winchester. I will buy the UMC 250 bulk every now and then but that stuff is dirty ammo. All three can be found at your local Walmart probably.

DO NOT BUY "TULA" AMMO!

5. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

What is wrong with Tula ammo? My Glock ran through it fine, and actually contrary to what others have said, it did not dirty up my gun as some other ammo? weird.

6. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

+1. Even a hi point i had ate tula ammo, even wolf ammo too.

7. Ryan92

Ryan92 New Member

Really? I had nothing but issues with Tula. Weak powder charges mostly.

8. Glocked

Glocked New Member

I use monarch brass from academy. It's cheap and clean. I stopped using tulammo after my AR refused to cycle it due to weak powder charges. Actually my AR hates all steel for some reason. It won't spit it out and cycle a new round.

9. condor56

condor56 New Member

Just got a killer deal at Walmart. UMC .40 100 rounds for $23. Bought all of it they had.

10. Glocked

Glocked New Member

Good deal. I bought 50 monarch .40 for 16.99 and 50 American Eagle for 16.99 today. Walmart is always out of the Umc when I go.

11. bubba2001

bubba2001 Well-Known Member Supporter

Federal 100 rds for $19.97 at wally world

12. TXGlock19

TXGlock19 New Member

Wal-Mart ammunition

Recently bought some WM ammo - Winchester 115 gr 9 mm. My G26 was jamming and the dealer kept saying it was cheap ammo. The others work just fine. What do y'all think about WM ammunition?

13. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I have shot hundreds if not thousands of WWB (or Winchester White Box) through my glock. Never had a problem. I switched to Federal Champion just for personal preference, but I don't think the ammo is the issue. What kind of jam are you having? Failure to extract? Failure to feed?

14. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

I have also fired hundreds of WM rounds without one single problem.

15. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

I think your dealer is full of ****.
    I have shot hundreds of rounds thru both my Glocks using Winchester White Box from Wal-Mart with no issues whatsoever.
    Sounds like your dealer is trying to move some ammo off his shelf.
    Tell us what problems your having.

16. Grabber GT

Grabber GT New Member

Ohio
    Found an ammo supplier on line. Great prices. I ordered 2k 9mm for practice. Deliver Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes. $0.18 each but you have to order bulk. Freedom Ammunition in Fremont, Oh. They have a website. www.freedomammunition.com. Update after Sunday practice.

17. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

I have a G26 and usually shoot Federal Champion, but I did get some Tul from Walmart and did have three jams with the Tul out of 100 rounds. I finally noticed that if I did not fill up the magazine all the way, (minus maybe 2 rounds) then it seemed to not jam. So try that if you still have some ammo left.

18. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

I fired 300 hundred round of (Winchester FMJ 115gr 9mm) the first time I shot my gun. No jams at all! The dealer will say anything to you,especially when they want you to buy their expensive unrealistic price for the same ammo you get somewere else.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  19. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

No issues with WWB or FED Champion out of my three Glocks either.

20. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

>>>>>> +1 <<<<<<